Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:55 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

I was surprised at how many familiar things I could get (some at a price I'll grant you though) we have holidayed in the USA for years & thought shopping would be almost the same but it really isn't. The breads not sweet for starters! You can even get Indian groceries easily (including garlic & corriander Naan!)

On the down side the driving is really horrendous & pedestrians (despite the bad driving) will just walk out into the road because they have right of way so many don't even bother looking at all! It's scary the 1st few times that happens!

Calgary is famous for having the worst snow clearance pretty much in the whole of Canada & we got to experience that first hand - it was really fun using the car as a toboggan!!

As a nurse I have actually found that the people I work with have a great sense of humour - maybe it's the profession I'm in! So I'm contradicting an earlier post on this one! :-)

We have really enjoyed ourselves here so far, yes there are some niggles but on balance I'd way rather be in Calgary than london UK.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dollface
I can't find great chinese food in Ottawa, tried but failed. No aromatic duck and pancakes, nor the sticky toffee apples/bananas/pineapple deserts either! what with that?
Depends where in Ottawa you are.. Have you tried Ben Ben's on Somerset (north side just east of Bronson)...very cheap and mainly oriental customers.

In Kanata, Rideau restaurant is good...they are very fast with take out.

Avoid Golden Palace on Carling Avenue unless you want to see a bad 70's rec room decor and 70's chinese food to match.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:12 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Depends where in Ottawa you are.. Have you tried Ben Ben's on Somerset (north side just east of Bronson)...very cheap and mainly oriental customers.

In Kanata, Rideau restaurant is good...they are very fast with take out.

Avoid Golden Palace on Carling Avenue unless you want to see a bad 70's rec room decor and 70's chinese food to match.
Thanks, I'm nearer Kanata where is Rideau restaurant??
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:16 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, this is perhaps not the biggest surprise, but certainly has me stumped....

I work in the insurance industry, and came to Canada thinking insurance is insurance is insurance. In many respects, things are similar between the UK and Canada. However, in others, there are some crazy abnormalities.

For instance, say I let you borrow my car, and I have an auto insurance limit of $200,000. If you have a crash and seriously injure someone, once your own insurance policy has been exhausted, they come after mine. Eg, if the injured party was awared $10m in compo, and you only have $1m of insurance, they'll take your $1m, my $200k, and them I'm on the hook for the balance. Liability follows the owner of the vehicle, not the driver. If I borrow you my car and you dont have insurance and cause the same accident, I'd be in even worse trouble.... possibly jail.

Mental....
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:36 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
OK, this is perhaps not the biggest surprise, but certainly has me stumped....

I work in the insurance industry, and came to Canada thinking insurance is insurance is insurance. In many respects, things are similar between the UK and Canada. However, in others, there are some crazy abnormalities.

For instance, say I let you borrow my car, and I have an auto insurance limit of $200,000. If you have a crash and seriously injure someone, once your own insurance policy has been exhausted, they come after mine. Eg, if the injured party was awared $10m in compo, and you only have $1m of insurance, they'll take your $1m, my $200k, and them I'm on the hook for the balance. Liability follows the owner of the vehicle, not the driver. If I borrow you my car and you dont have insurance and cause the same accident, I'd be in even worse trouble.... possibly jail.

Mental....

That is mental. My background is also insurance. Who did you work for in the UK?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:07 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

That is mental. My background is also insurance. Who did you work for in the UK?
I was a property/liability underwriter in manchester for a small Lloyds company. Now working for Aon. You?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:51 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

the price of chicken
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
the price of chicken
The price of most groceries these day!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:29 pm

I was a property/liability underwriter in manchester for a small Lloyds company. Now working for Aon. You?
Claims Manager (local unit) for Willis Risk Management . Now stay at home mother
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:30 pm

Oh to dress up again and attend the Insurance dinners
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh to dress up again and attend the Insurance dinners
I think in 8 years in Canada the only time I dressed up was the day I got married
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I think in 8 years in Canada the only time I dressed up was the day I got married

I hear ya! after almost 11 years here, i've yet to get dressed up!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:21 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

How much some Canadians complain, and we get called whinging poms.

(Sorry, I'm having one of those days)
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
How much some Canadians complain, and we get called whinging poms.

(Sorry, I'm having one of those days)
Especially about the weather
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:28 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Especially about the weather
Oh god, don't even start on that one. The weather is the first thing that comes out of their mouths, some also walk around with great big bloody chips on their shoulders. Its exhausting listening to them moan on I'm stupid enough to stand and listen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.