Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Never snows - in fact its so bleeding hot here at the moment I am sat here in just my socks.....
Your socks or their socks?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:48 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
Your socks or their socks?
One of each..
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:56 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee
I've read through numerous posts about the good things and bad things about Canada and it got me thinking. I've only been to Canada once and only for a few days, but I have an idea in my head of what it will be like when we move over there. After reading other people's comments I've learnt things that I would never have thought about Canada, as well as confirming what I already expected.

So for all of those who have made the move to Canada, how did it measure up to your expectations and pre-conceptions and what things really took you by surprise (both good and bad)?
i was surprised to see that not everyone lives in log cabins with teams of huskies at their front logs.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Never snows - in fact its so bleeding hot here at the moment I am sat here in just my socks.....
That paints a picture!!! LOL
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:04 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
That paints a picture!!! LOL
Definately one you do NOT want to see
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Milk in plastic bags!

Nose hair freezing!

Dog turds freezing the minute they are deposited in winter, easier to clean up though!!

Negatively- how backward it is, its like going back to the 60's.

Being charged for incoming calls and no rollover minutes on cell phone.

No luminous paint on the road or cats eyes.

Having to press 1 for English- why can't the French press 1 for French!!!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:13 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Negatively- how backward it is, its like going back to the 60's.

Some view this as a positive.

Being charged for incoming calls and no rollover minutes on cell phone.

Mrs_P's pay as you go phone has roll over minutes, provided you top up before your time expires.

No luminous paint on the road or cats eyes.

Luminous paint is used in some places, unfortunately cats eyes are totally impractical except around Vancouver or the south end of Vancouver Island. Unfortunately in most other places in Canada both get scraped off in winter by the snowploughs.

Having to press 1 for English- why can't the French press 1 for French!!!

Would you rather press 2 for English. It's one or the other.

Last edited by Steve_P; Feb 4th 2009 at 11:16 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:34 pm

Nose hair freezing!
This is the BEST thing about living here! I LOVE IT!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:31 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Having to pay $80 each for kids to learn soccer. All sports and activities are charged for to the nth degree.

The number of soccer teams - there are hundreds just in our area, girls and boys.

Full time school starts at the age of six

Going to a party (rare event) dressing up to the nines than having to take off my lovely shoes and plod around in my nylons all night feeling like a midget.

Not wearing skirts - it's all pants here.

Not dressing up even a bit to eat out - too casual for me

No-one acknowledges politeness on the road - you stop to let a car in and they just drive by. Don't take it personally anymore.

Pedestrians assuming they have right of way ANYWHERE... they just walk straight in front of your car expecting you to stop.

Lack of driving skills by female orientals - just amazing what you see them do!

The small city feel of Vancouver - just love going down there..it's nothing like any other city I've been to.

Swimming in lakes which are warm because they aren't snow melt - wonderful...

No lottery money seems to be spent on community projects - but if it is there's nothing in the papers about it.

Indian reservations everywhere on the outskirts of towns- but the surprise is the lack of equal rights afforded to them e.g. decent drinking water.

Lots more to come probably.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:18 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Everything. Cinnamon. Tastes off. Can you get apple pie without cinnamon, heck as like. Is it called apple and cinnamon pie? No, they sneak the stuff in. I think after a while you can't taste the damn stuff. U-bleeding-biqutous.

Or vanilla, and the vanilla's not right. That Mexican stuff isn't as good as the Madagascar stuff.

But, good stuff, beaches by rivers, swimming from a sandy beach in a city.
If you fancy a trip to Newfoundland - go to ye olde fashioned supermarket, Bidgoods. There you can buy homemade apple pie, with or without cinnamon!

You can also buy jarred rabbit, moose pie, seal flipper pie, frozen rhubarb, salt cod and moose burgers. I kid you not.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:14 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The hot summers, I had no idea that parts of Canada could reach into the 40's
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:37 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Just when your getting in to the swing of a party, they all start to go home! Early.................

No packets of choccy biccies like club, breakaways, penguins etc.

People not always as friendly and genuine as they first appear.........

The size of new build houses (large in comparison to UK)

Bacon not nearly as good as UK - pigs are pigs right? why so different?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:49 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Just when your getting in to the swing of a party, they all start to go home! Early.................

No packets of choccy biccies like club, breakaways, penguins etc.

People not always as friendly and genuine as they first appear.........

The size of new build houses (large in comparison to UK)

Bacon not nearly as good as UK - pigs are pigs right? why so different?
Excellent comment about the bacon.... exactly, pigs are pigs. Wonder why they can't get it right here.

You can get penguins, by the way, and I've seen packs of Club biscuits too. But maybe not where you are. No idea where that is........ that's another topic in another thread.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Shop bought bakery products....yuk!!...dripping with sugar (many with lashings of cinnamon too...surprise surprise) and designed to sit in the pit of your stomach like a lead weight once consumed.

Oh for good old fashioned english/scottish bakery products......like scones, crumpets and pastries...
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:11 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Shop bought bakery products....yuk!!...dripping with sugar (many with lashings of cinnamon too...surprise surprise) and designed to sit in the pit of your stomach like a lead weight once consumed.

Oh for good old fashioned english/scottish bakery products......like scones, crumpets and pastries...

Oh to have a Greggs on the street corner - ah the good old days of living in Edinburgh.....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.