Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Chick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to allChick-a-dee is a name known to all
Default Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

I've read through numerous posts about the good things and bad things about Canada and it got me thinking. I've only been to Canada once and only for a few days, but I have an idea in my head of what it will be like when we move over there. After reading other people's comments I've learnt things that I would never have thought about Canada, as well as confirming what I already expected.

So for all of those who have made the move to Canada, how did it measure up to your expectations and pre-conceptions and what things really took you by surprise (both good and bad)?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expats - what surprised you about Canada?

Originally Posted by Chick-a-dee View Post
I've read through numerous posts about the good things and bad things about Canada and it got me thinking. I've only been to Canada once and only for a few days, but I have an idea in my head of what it will be like when we move over there. After reading other people's comments I've learnt things that I would never have thought about Canada, as well as confirming what I already expected.

So for all of those who have made the move to Canada, how did it measure up to your expectations and pre-conceptions and what things really took you by surprise (both good and bad)?
I hope you have a thick skin, sweetheart. This thread falls into the category of "guaranteed to start an argument".

That's just a gentle and friendly warning.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll grab some popcorn and an easy chair.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:12 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

The cold

(before you all start I was joking, you know Ha Ha )
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all

For us it measured up with its outstanding natural beauty. The Summers are usually great and long (well longer than UK) which is a bonus.
Lack of sense of humour was (and is still) a great disappointment. On the whole I would say it measured up favourably.
And BTW this is only my opinion.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

More positives than negatives on balance and nothing really detrimental to my enjoyment living here. The niggly things are many but hey, where is Eutopia'? If life has taught me anything it is that such a place only exists in the imagination...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:43 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Everything tastes of cinnamon
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:44 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

On a serious note, I don't like how much we have to use the car to get about. Sidewalks, what are they?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket View Post
..........or peanut butter
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000 View Post
..........or peanut butter

Everything?

I think not.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:55 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

lol.....You sound like my OH
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers View Post
lol.....You sound like my OH
Mine likes Cinnamon, he once got Cinnamon chewing gum. That's not right is it.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

How many bloody Northern Irish people there are in the place
Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. View Post
There is alot of Scottish descendants as well.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. View Post
Originally Posted by Cassie 10000 View Post
There is a lot of Scottish descendants as well.
And the English, well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.