Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:09 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat tv.... Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
These things are illegal as they do not have permission of the original broadcaster, so you pays your money and then do not complain when it just stops without warning.
OK so BE is posting this as a streamer....why? Is everything on here dodgy too? This cannot be the case. BE why are you carrying the advertising for an illegal service? Response please?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:13 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF View Post
OK so BE is posting this as a streamer....why? Is everything on here dodgy too? This cannot be the case. BE why are you carrying the advertising for an illegal service? Response please?
It will be interesting to see tvcatchup's response to their recent legal loss (they seem bullish). Although they do attempt quite well to protect broadcasters right against overseas distribution, which most of these streamers consider their main markets.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 12th 2013 at 2:16 am.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF View Post
If the service they are providing is as it seems - simply a "plug & play" box that allows viewing of UK TV with a time shift - then whats involved that you couldnt already do in a less autonomous way and how then can it be illegal?

Is it because it dupes the various online players into believing its somewhere its not via a VPN or similar?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

emjaca85 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is also this which Alan Sugar keeps going on about on twitter.

http://www.uktveverywhere.com/index.html

Apparently he uses it while in Florida. He says its great. So I think It is possible Not the cheapest soloution though US$144.99. But worth comparing.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the cost of TV in Canada (even before looking at what's served up ) all of these fees for various services are bargains.

I imagine they involve some amount of illegality or dubious practice. One might wonder if that is someone to give your credit card details to.

That's not to say I would definitely not use the fee paying services, but when there are adequate risk free, free alternatives available I don't see the point. (and no tech knowledge needed)

Looking at tonight's UK line-up, it looks to be things that are on over here or stuff that can be downloaded and viewed within hours perhaps even at the "same time" as one would watch over there. Even Corrie and Eastenders.

Or is that people want to hear the announcers?

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 12th 2013 at 2:57 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:37 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjaca85 View Post
There is also this which Alan Sugar keeps going on about on twitter.

http://www.uktveverywhere.com/index.html

Apparently he uses it while in Florida. He says its great. So I think It is possible Not the cheapest soloution though US$144.99. But worth comparing.
Suzy Q - Get On Up And Do It Again. Classic old soul funk in the ad. I used to cut a rug to that at Bonn Bonnies in Brixton.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:54 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Living in this part of Canada is probably more conducive to watching live UK TV than most of the rest of the country, the time difference normally meaning we're 4 hours behind.

For Saturday football, the lunchtime game is at breakfast here, rather than 5 or 6 am. But it's on Canadian TV anyway.

Through the week, anything on between 9.00pm and midnight UK time is between 5.00 and 8.00pm here and further West overlaps the afternoon which is not good for those working.

One really needs to see if live UK TV will suit and if not, then what is next best. Everyone has their favourites and some require more expensive equipment, better internet or subscriptions to possibly fly-by-night outfits.

There are several websites giving access to a wide range of movies and TV series of very good quality, completely free and watching the main UK channels live is often possible anyway.

For example, on weekends I watch Match of the Day live. Channel 4 has been showing a brilliant serial - Utopia - on Tuesdays between 10 and 11pm. It has usually been available for watching (or downloading for viewing later) within 3 hours of finishing and that means being able to watch it at pretty much the same local time as it was shown.

I did the same with the second series of The Hour - although I've not seen it yet.

US TV (on channels you might not have) that crosses the Atlantic, such as Homeland is also available, so you can watch those before they are shown in the UK.

All without commercials too.
How do you watch UK TV without fooling the DNS or VPN ?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
How do you watch UK TV without fooling the DNS or VPN ?
Presumably the websites are the ones that do the fooling.

Many of the sites that are used for streaming live football (when not on Canadian TV) have buttons at the top marked TV. The main BBC/ITV/C4/C5 ones are often there...not always working, granted, but they are there.

I think you're familiar with firstrow and ATDee. They both have them.

When I have put a little extra effort in I have succeeded with live coverage of Glastonbury, the summer riots, Olympics and England games when on ITV if only for "build up"

On the other hand, Firefox 'Stealthy' and things like it have never done a thing for me.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:41 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Presumably the websites are the ones that do the fooling.

Many of the sites that are used for streaming live football (when not on Canadian TV) have buttons at the top marked TV. The main BBC/ITV/C4/C5 ones are often there...not always working, granted, but they are there.

I think you're familiar with firstrow and ATDee. They both have them.

When I have put a little extra effort in I have succeeded with live coverage of Glastonbury, the summer riots, Olympics and England games when on ITV if only for "build up"

On the other hand, Firefox 'Stealthy' and things like it have never done a thing for me.
So you're still doing something 'shady' or 'semi illegal' despite your post painting DNS/VPN changers thus, it's just that you're not using an app to do so.

First Row is normally excellent if a little blocky when blown up onto a 46" or 50" TV. I even resorted to it when the usually steady BBC iPlayer started stuttering during the rugby on Saturday.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

So you're still doing something 'shady' or 'semi illegal' despite your post painting DNS/VPN changers thus, it's just that you're not using an app to do so.

First Row is normally excellent if a little blocky when blown up onto a 46" or 50" TV. I even resorted to it when the usually steady BBC iPlayer started stuttering during the rugby on Saturday.
As far as I am aware, there is nothing illegal or shady about using a VPN service. There are predominantly set up for user security and internet privacy. If they were illegal then the companies would not be able to charge for them.

The fact that I can get UK TV channels when using a VPN service is an added benefit as far as I am concerned.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Probably. But my post wasn't about painting them as dodgy, it was questioning the wisdom of trusting such people with one's credit card details. Not to mention certain identifying details as a bonus.

I imagine they involve some amount of illegality or dubious practice. One might wonder if that is someone to give your credit card details to.

That's not to say I would definitely not use the fee paying services, but when there are adequate risk free, free alternatives available I don't see the point.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

I just tried to log on and watch the CL game on TV Catchup and noticed they have now excluded the witopia ISP.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:38 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaminsk1 View Post
I just tried to log on and watch the CL game on TV Catchup and noticed they have now excluded the witopia ISP.
For whatever reason TVCatchup take it upon themselves to block as many methods of circumventing their Geolocking system as possible. Which is why I no longer bother and us other methods of watching Live UK TV if I want.

TVC blocking VPN's has obviously not done them any use as they still lost the court case
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:32 am
Seasoned Maritimer

As far as I am aware, there is nothing illegal or shady about using a VPN service. There are predominantly set up for user security and internet privacy. If they were illegal then the companies would not be able to charge for them.

The fact that I can get UK TV channels when using a VPN service is an added benefit as far as I am concerned.
I agree. I'm using one myself.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree. most of our viewing is now streamed for free.....been at this since the get go and a year ago we reduced our paid tv to the minimum and may dump that. The bandwidth consumed on a normal day is about 4GB.

Don't understand paying to do it.

Anyone in the Fredericton area tried over-the-air HDTV...using modern rabbit-ears?

AS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.