British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Expat Shield problems (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/expat-shield-problems-700242/)

JasonnJane Jan 12th 2011 3:17 am

Expat Shield problems

Has anyone had any problems with expat shield these past couple of days? Hope they havnt closed it down as I had just got back into Corrie and eastenders :(

CanadaJimmy Jan 12th 2011 4:00 am

Re: Expat Shield problems

There are plenty of alternatives, thebox.bz, My-Private-Network (if you can afford £5/mo), etc. :)

farjojo71 Jan 12th 2011 4:37 am

Mine has been working fine Jane.....whats happening with yours?

JasonnJane Jan 12th 2011 3:35 pm

it just wont load up anymore, tried downloading again but that did not work either...i think i have worn it out LOL...;) Still havnt got SD card but will contact you as soon as i get one, thanks :)

4d32ftw Jan 12th 2011 3:40 pm

mines been ok, just cant seem to get c4 or c5 to work at the moment but the bbeb and itv are perfect

JasonnJane Jan 12th 2011 3:44 pm

think i will give it another try tonight, fingers crossed :)

farjojo71 Jan 12th 2011 7:49 pm

I only watch BBCi player and ITV so I haven't tried the others. Is the green shield not showing at all Jane? One of my friends downloaded it and it stayed on the yellow shield all the time.

JasonnJane Jan 13th 2011 3:32 am

they are the only two i watch too, and yeeeeeahhh its working tonight :D

JasonnJane Jan 13th 2011 3:44 am

does anyone watch shameless, new series on channnel 4..i can get bbc and itv, how can i get channel 4? :)

nldfc Jan 13th 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by JasonnJane (Post 9097662)
does anyone watch shameless, new series on channnel 4..i can get bbc and itv, how can i get channel 4? :)

There is a link on this page somwhwere for British TV that has Channel 4 :thumbup:

user659 Jan 15th 2011 7:02 pm

Jan 15/10

Just installed Expat Shield on one Windows 7 PC here at home. Everything fine.
Then installed on second W7 PC (on the same home network).Everything
worked there too.

But I then uninstalled it on the second pc. When I later re-installed, the installation went fine but when I click on the Connect/ON menu item, or on the Expat Shield Launch icon, the system is busy for a few seconds but no connection is made. It stays Disconnected.

I re-installed a few times, to no avail. I am not trying to run Expat simultaneously on both PC's.

Meanwhile, all is still fine on the first PC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ian :frown:

JasonnJane Jan 16th 2011 2:53 am

that is what happened to me and then the following night it worked fine :)

user659 Jan 16th 2011 1:05 pm

Yes, me too.

After uninstalling and reinstalling it several times (I even restored an older
state of Windows first) to no avail over half a day, it suddenly started
working on the third PC. During this period it worked fine on the other two PCs. Wierd.

ian :)

fledermaus Jan 16th 2011 1:07 pm

I removed this completely as I'm certain a virus snuck in when I was downloading. I had to do a full scan to find the virus but it was there.

Trophy Jan 16th 2011 4:16 pm

Mine stopped working as well. I was running V1.56 on Windows 7.

Just uninstalled it and installed V1.57 and all is working again.

Currently listening to the Spurs v Man Utd game on 5 Live.

user659 Jan 16th 2011 5:52 pm

Mine is also 1.56.

In passing, I saw a post somewhere that asked if one could run both HOTSPOT and Expat simultaneously. The answer was no. Indeed, when I tried to install HOTSPOT under W7,I gor an error message say that Expat had to be uninstalled first.

But that intrigued me. I run Win 7 Professional hence can run Window Virtual PC (Windows XP mode). So, I brought up XP mode and installed HOTSPOT under it. So, I did have both HOTSPOT and EXPAT running, although in a
rather wierd way.

Both seemed to work fine, although I had to bump up the amount of RAM allocated to XP in order to smooth out the playback of videos.

Lotsa fun!

Beedubya Jan 30th 2011 10:49 am

I have been running Expat Shield from Australia now for months with no probs, then tonight when I tried ITV player it said I was not in the UK, so I un-installed it and re-installed it now the icon shield is just orange and hanging.

For those unable to get Channel 4, which I can't using Expat Shield I just log on as normal then go to See Saw dot com and connect to C4 from there........

EDIT

It is still hanging on Orange with no connection this is the very first time this has happened in all these months......

Lorna at Vicenza Jan 30th 2011 10:55 am

Expat Shield has been giving me problems today. I could never get Channel 4 with it either but had no problems with BBC and ITV. Can't get anything with it today as it just won't connect. Thought maybe it was just me and my server but perhaps not.

Beedubya Jan 30th 2011 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 9139046)
Expat Shield has been giving me problems today. I could never get Channel 4 with it either but had no problems with BBC and ITV. Can't get anything with it today as it just won't connect. Thought maybe it was just me and my server but perhaps not.

Seems like big probs today Lorna, when it gets up and going again, connect to Expat Shield as normal and to go seesaw.com for Channel 4 programmes. :thumbsup:

Lorna at Vicenza Jan 30th 2011 11:19 am

Thanks for the tip on how to get Channel 4 programmes. Just need to get Expat Shield back on now.

Beedubya Jan 30th 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 9139079)
Thanks for the tip on how to get Channel 4 programmes. Just need to get Expat Shield back on now.

Me too!! I need my Coronation Street Fix on ITV player and also my Come Dine with Me fix on C4 via Seesaw LOL!! :thumbsup:

Hope Expat is just a glitch, I miss UK TV so much. :lol:

MillieF Jan 30th 2011 12:52 pm

I too have really enjoyed the ex-pat shield, and really hope it comes back. I didn't realise why I coudn't get C4, so should (fingers crossed) it come back will connect via See Saw - many thanks for letting me know. However, I didn't realise that there was an alternative to ExPat Shield? I don't care if I pay for it, but I'd just love to have the access to programmes I want to see, when I want to see them. Perhaps this problem will resolve itself?

DigitalGhost Jan 30th 2011 2:11 pm

It hasn't worked for me so far and the OH was itching to go on iPlayer last night, it's weird because even though she's a Japanese she seems to be urging for a lot more aspects of British life than I do at the moment.

I'm on a hotel wifi connection at the moment though so I'm not sure if that's making any difference and Coronation Street is on every night at 6:30 on CBC (Eastern time) by the way, although I think they may be a bit behind. ;)

farjojo71 Jan 30th 2011 6:38 pm

I had expat shield on my old PC which ran with no problems at all. I have since bought a new PC (windows 7) and when I went onto expatshield.com, all I kept getting was that hotspot which wouldn't let me play bbci player etc. Anyway, I was using google chrome to download it so I tried using IE instead and I used the link off expat shield's facebook page and that worked. I now have expat shield instead of hotspot.

airbornesapper Jan 30th 2011 9:01 pm

The Expatshield server has been down all day.....I hope someone wind's up the server again soon.

johnnyrugby Jan 31st 2011 4:49 pm

Hi

yeah Expatshield down here too but if and when it does come back up, you can watch channel 4 live at http://www.livestation.com/channels/...nnel-4-english it works really well and is in great quality but life will be seriously shit again here in Germany if Expatshield dies on me!

fpegman Jan 31st 2011 6:54 pm

I have used expat shield for over 6 month but now all I get is that it is connected but when I try to watch bBC iplayer or ITVplayer it says I am not allowed as not in UK anyone know what is wrong this came about yesterday

Beedubya Jan 31st 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by fpegman (Post 9142060)
I have used expat shield for over 6 month but now all I get is that it is connected but when I try to watch bBC iplayer or ITVplayer it says I am not allowed as not in UK anyone know what is wrong this came about yesterday

There is an Expat Shield page on Facebook, it is down all over the world. :(

airbornesapper Jan 31st 2011 11:55 pm

ExpatShield is now back up....except its not as it once was....run speedtest.net or something similar and you will soon figure out why.

BBC and ITV now come up with the "Not Available etc"...

Ahh well.....work around time begins.....

Using speedtest expatshield (version 1.56 and 1.57) both report me as being in the USA (although each version has me in a different area) but neither assigns a UK IP as before.

Latest version of v1.57 is just hotspot shield.....downloaded via expatshield.com as before.

Anyone who manages to get a UK IP from this post away.

As much use as...................for now. Time for the folks on expatshield to update the main website:

"USED TO BE Trusted by Millions of People"
Download ExpatShield
Works on Windows XP/Vista/7
NO LONGER Assigns a UK IP address
100% FREE"
http://www.expatshield.com/

EXPATSHIELD / HOTSPOT DELETED

ckseddon Feb 1st 2011 1:19 am

Is it time to switch to a paid option like Identity cloaker?

Beedubya Feb 1st 2011 7:29 pm

Somebody just posted this on the FB Expat page:

Hi -- Thanks for reaching out. We're aware of the current issue with Expat Shield, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we have a server issue in the UK, so UK servers are redirecting to the US. The issue will be fixed this week. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
The AnchorFree Team

:thumbsup:

JasonnJane Feb 2nd 2011 12:19 am

yes, i emailed them too and that is the reply i got :)

Rugirl Feb 3rd 2011 5:11 pm

Does anyone know when the Expat Shield will be back up? I just tried it and it is not working yet.

Beedubya Feb 3rd 2011 6:27 pm

This is the latest status update on their Facebook page

The needed hardware piece is now at location and awaiting installation. Hopefully everything will be back online soon (possible a bit longer than the promised 24 hours). Again, very sorry for any service interruption. Stay tuned - we'll update the this wall once the installation/testing is done and everything is up and running.

Beedubya Feb 3rd 2011 8:36 pm

New FB status.

Still working on getting the new hardware up (ran into few issues), but please be assured, work is in progress. We wish we could speed up the process, but at this time we have to wait until everything is fixed before going back online with ExpatShield. We are also working on procedure steps to make sure such long outages never happen again.

Wishwewerethere Feb 4th 2011 8:20 pm

Apparently back online but bbc still saying outside of uk:(

Beedubya Feb 4th 2011 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Wishwewerethere (Post 9152828)
Apparently back online but bbc still saying outside of uk:(

What about itv Player?

I wonder if the BBC have done something to block it as we are (obviously) not paying for TV licences?? I have wondered about that in the past........

Beedubya Feb 4th 2011 8:40 pm

I just tried ITV player and Seesaw, both say I cannot watch as I am not in the UK, so not working in Australia at all still. :(

BristolUK Feb 4th 2011 10:07 pm

FBHost is still working for BBC.

Usually needs a reload or close the page that says it's not a valid link and just click again.

Wishwewerethere Feb 5th 2011 1:42 am

Suppose Expat Shield still dishing out US ip addresses,:( will wait till Monday to see what happens.