Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

expat - buying a property in uk

expat - buying a property in uk

Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute
Default expat - buying a property in uk

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the process for a UK citizen/expat living in Canada buying a home in the UK? (buy - to - let)
(It would potentially be a cash buy. i.e. no mortgage, OR a high percentage deposit and small mortgage)
What are the basic guidelines, or if any, potential complications when carrying this out.
Could this be all be completed remotely and be represented in full by a UK real estate agent & solicitor etc. Or would I be required to visit the UK at critical points.

Hope to hear from others with any experience

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expat - buying a property in uk

We have bought and sold in the UK...all done remotely. We were cash buyers, so can’t advise if you require a mortgage. Our UK solicitor and estate agent handled everything. Buying...we completed within 3 weeks. The Nat West held the funds for 24 hours...that was the only hiccup.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 5th 2019 at 8:02 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

You can do the forms required remotely. You just have to get the solicitor to post (or email) them to you, print them out your end, get them signed and witnessed as indicated then send the originals back snail mail (or courier).
Old Jan 6th 2019, 1:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
send the originals back snail mail (or courier).
Why can't you sign, scan, and send. like any other document?
Old Jan 6th 2019, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why can't you sign, scan, and send. like any other document?
Because you can't. They are legal documents and still need original wet signatures. No different to the requirement when we bought a house in Canada, they also needed wet signatures!
Old Jan 6th 2019, 3:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Because you can't. They are legal documents and still need original wet signatures. No different to the requirement when we bought a house in Canada, they also needed wet signatures!
This past year, I sold a Canada corporation, sold a US corporation, formed a new Ontario corporation with four shareholders, all of whom are in different countries, filed all the appropriate legal and tax documents, settled litigation personally and corporately in multiple actions (all in Ontario admittedly). None of this required more than "print, sign, scan, return". Even the engagement contracts for the law and accounting firms involved were emailed.

Granted, I didn't buy and sell houses and the real estate business is, in many ways, a backwater, but I think it has to be preference, rather than requirement, that calls for actual x's marked on actual lines.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 4:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This past year, I sold a Canada corporation, sold a US corporation, formed a new Ontario corporation with four shareholders, all of whom are in different countries, filed all the appropriate legal and tax documents, settled litigation personally and corporately in multiple actions (all in Ontario admittedly). None of this required more than "print, sign, scan, return". Even the engagement contracts for the law and accounting firms involved were emailed.

Granted, I didn't buy and sell houses and the real estate business is, in many ways, a backwater, but I think it has to be preference, rather than requirement, that calls for actual x's marked on actual lines.
Several types of legal documents still require original sigs in the UK. We had to provide original documents, signed and notarized, for power of attorney earlier this year.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 4:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You can do the forms required remotely. You just have to get the solicitor to post (or email) them to you, print them out your end, get them signed and witnessed as indicated then send the originals back snail mail (or courier).
Yep. This was also a requirement for us when we bought 2 UK properties while living in Australia.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

claphamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Several types of legal documents still require original sigs in the UK. We had to provide original documents, signed and notarized, for power of attorney earlier this year.
As a vet I witness documents for people regularly. You're correct, there are many that still require an original signature wet.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 11:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by claphamer
As a vet I witness documents for people regularly. You're correct, there are many that still require an original signature wet.
In the UK a notary may only be acceptable if that person is a practicing, qualified solicitor. Worth checking exactly who is acceptable. Therefore if a document requires a notary’s signature it is worth checking exactly who is acceptable to do this.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

claphamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In the UK a notary may only be acceptable if that person is a practicing, qualified solicitor. Worth checking exactly who is acceptable. Therefore if a document requires a notary’s signature it is worth checking exactly who is acceptable to do this.
Indeed...

I wasn't trying to imply I was witnessing documents I shouldn't be.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by claphamer
Indeed...

I wasn't trying to imply I was witnessing documents I shouldn't be.
I know. . Just thought it was worth mentioning, because documents I had notorised where refused and I had to have them redone.