Reload this Page >

Exchanging a UK driving license in Quebec *after 12 months*

Exchanging a UK driving license in Quebec *after 12 months*

Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:42 am
Just Joined

jamesbulman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchanging a UK driving license in Quebec *after 12 months*

Hi,

I moved out to Montreal in Jan 09 from Derby. At the time I didn't need a car / driving license as I work and live within the metro area, but now I'd like to get a license so I can hire a car occasionally and get out a bit more.

The official website says I need to exchange my license if I want to drive after 90 days of arriving in Quebec, but it also says I need to do it within 12 months.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver...ange/index.php

Obviously, I've missed this deadline. Does anyone know what happens after 12 months? Will I have to take a test etc?

Any and all advice appreciated

- James
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:05 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging a UK driving license in Quebec *after 12 months*

I think the 90 days rule is if you are actually using it and driving in the province from when you arrive.

Why not check at your local SAAQ centre for advice (there's usually one at your local CAA outlet).
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

redeagle is on a distinguished road

If the 12 months does require you to renew your licence in this time, I am not familiar with Qubec, I live in BC, then you should be able to border jump renewing your driver status so you can exchange it.

This is how it works in BC after 6 months to renew driving your driver status, though there is no time here on when you would need to exchange it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:08 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Normal Quebec licenses last 5 years but you get billed for payment every other year ($86 a time when I was last in QC).

I think the issue is exchanging a UK license for a QC one, I can't see an issue if the UK one hasn't expired, you just need to arrange the interview they now make you do to get a QC license.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:45 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redeagle
If the 12 months does require you to renew your licence in this time, I am not familiar with Qubec, I live in BC, then you should be able to border jump renewing your driver status so you can exchange it.

This is how it works in BC after 6 months to renew driving your driver status, though there is no time here on when you would need to exchange it.
That's not how it works in BC if you are resident here - you need to get a BC licence after 90 days and there is no exchange; you need to take a test. I hope you've got it in writing from ICBC that they will insure you if you are border hopping and hoping to use the 6 month visitor rules.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Actually, when my status was about to tun out, it was ICBC themselves who told me to cross the border and come back. As luck had it, or not due to the problem, I had to return to the UK for 6 days and so it was automatically renewed.
As I dont have my PR yet, I am still considered a visitor
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:57 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redeagle
Actually, when my status was about to tun out, it was ICBC themselves who told me to cross the border and come back. As luck had it, or not due to the problem, I had to return to the UK for 6 days and so it was automatically renewed.
As I dont have my PR yet, I am still considered a visitor
Ok - that makes more sense.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Wow, my fiance says she can never get any sense out of me
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice, it was much appreciated.

I spoke to the SAAQ this morning, and they said it would be no problem that I had been here longer than 12 months. I have an appointment to exchange my license on the 1st of April, so I guess that will be the ultimate test.

Strangely they also said that I would get to keep my UK license, oh well, no complaints here!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesbulman
Thanks for all the advice, it was much appreciated.

I spoke to the SAAQ this morning, and they said it would be no problem that I had been here longer than 12 months. I have an appointment to exchange my license on the 1st of April, so I guess that will be the ultimate test.

Strangely they also said that I would get to keep my UK license, oh well, no complaints here!
No driving test required, It was incredibly easy getting a QC licence. They have special test to check if your UK Licence is authentic, then it's a quick photo and thats it. Plus the fee of course... Just watch out for them drivers. Montreal motorists are a law unto themselves.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:13 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

Montreal drivers may be slightly mad but the TO version is a whole different kind of Crazy
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Just to follow up on this, I got my Quebec driving license this morning.

I took along my UK driving license (photocard and paper counterpart), passport, temporary work permit and a proof of address (a bank statement) and about $45 and they issued me a license. I have temporary paper one right now, but the plastic one arrives in the post in about a week. It's valid for 5 years but I have to renew it every year on my birthday.

I didn't have to hand over my UK one either!

So everything ended well, cheers guys!