Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Paz7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange UK driving licence in Ontario

Would it be naughty to request a 'replacement' Driving Licence from the UK DVLA (as per their website), so I can hand in mine in Canada and also keep the UK one?
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paz7
Would it be naughty to request a 'replacement' Driving Licence from the UK DVLA (as per their website), so I can hand in mine in Canada and also keep the UK one?
HaHa - It's ok to do that - Do whatever you want but just be ready to accept the consequences should you get caught

It's illegal to hold more than one drivers license in Ontario

Not too sure how they would find out, but it is illegal.

Why would you want two? You can drive in both countries on both - You will always "have" a UK license - your license number never changes and your entitlements will remain unless they expire (LGV, PSV etc)

I think you only neeeeeed one
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
HaHa - It's ok to do that - Do whatever you want but just be ready to accept the consequences should you get caught

Not too sure how they would find out, but it is illegal.

Why would you want two? You can drive in both countries on both - You will always "have" a UK license - your license number never changes and your entitlements will remain unless they expire (LGV, PSV etc)

I think you only neeeeeed one
Ah got it, didn't know it was illegal, will stay away!
Was thinking just for ease re: IDing back in the UK (although my passport or Canadian docs would suffice).
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paz7
Ah got it, didn't know it was illegal, will stay away!
Was thinking just for ease re: IDing back in the UK (although my passport or Canadian docs would suffice).
It's also a large fine in the UK if you're caught using a DL with an invalid address on (i.e. one you don't actually live at), so definitely not worth it.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's also a large fine in the UK if you're caught using a DL with an invalid address on (i.e. one you don't actually live at), so definitely not worth it.
Makes sense, got it, thank you
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

nicolar001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack this post. Having just checked out the settlement.org page on driving licences I wondered could I have help clarifying something. Do we need to get DVLA letter of confirmation of our license? This just seems unusual.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolar001
Sorry to hijack this post. Having just checked out the settlement.org page on driving licences I wondered could I have help clarifying something. Do we need to get DVLA letter of confirmation of our license? This just seems unusual.

Thanks in advance
Once I deciphered the garbled link in your post, it's clear the answer is "no." All the stuff about letters of confirmation is for holders of licences from countries that do not have a reciprocal arrangement with Ontario's licensing authority. DVLA does have a reciprocal agreement, so it's the bit at the top of the page that matters.

For anybody else looking, the link should be to this page
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Where did you get that from?
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are thousands of Brexpats living in France and probably elsewhere in the EU who are legally driving on unexpired old-style GB licences with a GB address. It's only necessary to change to a local licence when you reach 70 or when you commit a driving offence incurring point deductions on the licence.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Where did you get that from?
“A driver may not apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver’s licence,” says Section 35.1e of Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK65

35. (1) No person shall,
(e) apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver’s licence;

Seizing licence

(3) Any police officer who has reason to believe that any person has in his or her possession a driver’s licence referred to in subsection (1) may take possession of the licence and, where the officer does so, shall forward it to the Registrar upon disposition of the case. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 35 (3); 2008, c. 17, s. 35 (6).

Second driver’s licence permitted

(4) Despite clause (1) (e), a person may hold a second driver’s licence if the second licence is,

(a) issued solely to permit the licensee to obtain experience in the driving of a motorcycle for the purpose of qualifying for a driver’s licence that authorizes him or her to drive a motorcycle; or

(b) required by any other province or territory of Canada or any state of the United States of America and has been issued in compliance with the law of that province, territory or state. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 35 (4).

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 9th 2017 at 11:18 pm.