Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exchange rates

Wikiposts

Exchange rates

Old Oct 6th 2004, 9:49 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Exchange rates

Anyone have any thoughts on which direction exchange rates might be moving in over the next few months? I know that it is impossible to predict, really, of course, but any comments would be interesting. to me, anyway. I want there to be 2.5 dollars to the pound again. Until I pay a visit back to England, that is.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:25 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Exchange rates

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Anyone have any thoughts on which direction exchange rates might be moving in over the next few months? I know that it is impossible to predict, really, of course, but any comments would be interesting. to me, anyway. I want there to be 2.5 dollars to the pound again. Until I pay a visit back to England, that is.
If I could predict exchange rates ...

Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:36 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
If I could predict exchange rates ...
I recall reading an article last week predicting that the Canadian dollar will continue to be strong as a result of high interest rates and a strong economy.

It was in the Globe & Mail IIRC

Sorry folks!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

We transferred our cash from the UK into our Canadian account this week. I'd agree that it seems that the Canadian Dollar is likely to get stronger in the coming months from what I have read in the newspapers.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

http://www.moneycorp.com/pages/home.html

Useful link maybe?

Its a rollercoaster ride
Old Oct 11th 2004, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

stelaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Exchange rates

Originally Posted by Rhodes
The outlook is not good for converting sterling to canadian dollars. The Canadian economy is very strong, also the price of oil is high ( Canada is a big producer) and Canada's interest rate cycle is at it's start with rate increases expected. All this makes the Canadian Dollar attractive to currency investors and keeps the Dollar strong. Just to compound the issue, Sterling's position is weakening with interest rates at the top of their cycle and likely to fall. Watch the market closely for short term fluctuations but for the long term the highs of 2.5 dollars to the pound are a million miles away.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by stelaw
The outlook is not good for converting sterling to canadian dollars. The Canadian economy is very strong, also the price of oil is high ( Canada is a big producer) and Canada's interest rate cycle is at it's start with rate increases expected. All this makes the Canadian Dollar attractive to currency investors and keeps the Dollar strong. Just to compound the issue, Sterling's position is weakening with interest rates at the top of their cycle and likely to fall. Watch the market closely for short term fluctuations but for the long term the highs of 2.5 dollars to the pound are a million miles away.
With what seems to be knowlegeable information when would the rate be expected to be around the 2.3 - 2.4 mark? The fluctuations seem to be around the 2.2 - 2-4 in peaks and troughs over the last two years. Might we see a rate of 2.4 middle of 2005?
Old Oct 12th 2004, 1:53 am
Just Joined

stelaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
With what seems to be knowlegeable information when would the rate be expected to be around the 2.3 - 2.4 mark? The fluctuations seem to be around the 2.2 - 2-4 in peaks and troughs over the last two years. Might we see a rate of 2.4 middle of 2005?
It is certainly possible that over a period of 9 months Canada may weaken the strenght of it's Dollar to maintain its' export market to the US but long term forcasting is dangerous and many economists believe that a stronger Canadian dollar over the long term is needed. If you expect to move large amounts of currency within the next year then there are options for you.
You can forward fix an exchange rate - ie. time option forward contracts (visit escapecurrency.com to fully understand your options or as has been previously suggested moneycorp.com both have online dealers who can give you fair forecasting advice).
Hope thats of some help to you..
Old Oct 12th 2004, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

HaMa is an unknown quantity at this point

you can search for graphs online

there is a link below with this years rates over the months

http://www.x-rates.com/d/CAD/GBP/hist2004.html

i would keep them in sterling currency account, until the rate goes in my favour unless it is urgent i.e buying a house or so, change a small amount to live off,

HaMa