Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate, what did you get??

Exchange Rate, what did you get??

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

poll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Exchange Rate, what did you get??

Hi,

I have been dreaming about what we could get for our money when the house sells in the UK. Watching the exchange rate go down and down is very frustrating i have to say.

So after playing with numbers and doing the "what if i had this much" which I'm sure some of you have done I thought i would ask if any of you can remember the Highest and the Lowest rates over the years.

This is not a serious question just a bit of fun.

I can remember in Aug 2003 we got $2.44 to 1 GBP.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange Rate, what did you get??

Originally Posted by poll72000
Hi,

I have been dreaming about what we could get for our money when the house sells in the UK. Watching the exchange rate go down and down is very frustrating i have to say.

So after playing with numbers and doing the "what if i had this much" which I'm sure some of you have done I thought i would ask if any of you can remember the Highest and the Lowest rates over the years.

When I arrived in August 2000, I think it was about 2.25. Within a year it had dropped to as bad as it is now. I've seen it as good as about 2.70 (that's where I'd like it to be one day each month).

Odds are that the rate will move sharply quite soon, as soon as the election is called. My sources tell me that it will be sooner rather than later.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I transferred most of my savings at just under $2.20 and was scared that I was getting a bad rate... fortunately most of my other money is in US dollar shares and gold, so on paper I'm making more back on that than I'm losing on my declining salary as the pound drops. Still would have been better off selling everything last year and sticking all the proceeds in a Candian account.

A fiver won't be worth wiping your bottom with soon if we don't get someone with a clue working on the UK economy.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a money order for fifty pounds today. It cost $102.50. Some of that was the fee so I suppose the pound is worth less than two bucks.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

$2.0175 right now... so I'm surprised the bank didn't screw you for more than that .
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, don't get me started......

Visits to Canada saw $2.40odd over the years. House on the market last year with exchange rate up in that area. By the time it finally sold end Sept, much much lower. I brought half my equity over at $2.07ish. Left the other half in UK awaiting an improvement. Today its about $2.01! I'm hoping for a swing in my favour either when the election is called or more likely when neither party can form a majority govt after the election and the world goes to pot! (qv. Rick Mercer's rant last night!)
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
$2.0175 right now... so I'm surprised the bank didn't screw you for more than that .
The Canadian banks aren't very good for financial matters, they want $15 to write the money order and usually get it wrong. I use Jameson International, a currency broker, instead.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 5:27 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Watching the exchange rate go down and down is very frustrating i have to say.

My last trade was at 2.06 ... but I'm going the other way. Lots of fun!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
My last trade was at 2.06 ... but I'm going the other way. Lots of fun!
eeeerm. What is it exactly that you do for a living?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

great46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Yahoo currency converter shows you exchange rates over the 3mths 1yr,2yr,5yr etc. (just click on the range you want to see) this link is the 5yr

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...CAD&amt=1&t=5y

Not sure if the above link will work but I am sure you will be able to find it.

When I first started to look at moving to Canada the rate was about 2.40 ish now it's 2.01 :scared:
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:57 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by great46
Yahoo currency converter shows you exchange rates over the 3mths 1yr,2yr,5yr etc. (just click on the range you want to see) this link is the 5yr

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/co...CAD&amt=1&t=5y

Not sure if the above link will work but I am sure you will be able to find it.

When I first started to look at moving to Canada the rate was about 2.40 ish now it's 2.01 :scared:

Like someone said previously, it was in the 2.5-2.6 bracket in 2003, we remember coming here on a reccie trip, having changed our money at marks and sparks ( M&S )
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Hi,

Averaging $2.42 at present.

We're thinking of buying some GBP if it goes below $2.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

poll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Averaging $2.42 at present.

We're thinking of buying some GBP if it goes below $2.
CalgaryBlade

Where have you seen that price? Is that Bank rate or tourist rate.

Phil
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

CalgaryBlade

Where have you seen that price? Is that Bank rate or tourist rate.

Phil
Which one?

To clarify, we've been buying and selling CAD and GBP for years.It's a good currency to trade in as it has been cyclical.

When we sold our house in 2004 the rate was $2.45 and we took it and we were a little miffed when it continued up to $2.49.

The closing rate on 23rd Nov 2005 was around $2.02. The Bank of Canada is still looking at raising the interest rate here so I think the GBP/CAD rate could go below $2. IMHO this might be a good point to buy GBP as I reckon sooner or later the BoE will raise rates.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Flipper is on a distinguished road

When the £ dropped from around $2.50 to $2.25 I transferred $ to £ thinking I was doing well. Last I checked it's down to $2.09 Oh well...at least the British interest rates are higher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.