Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate thread

Exchange rate thread

Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

chrisgarrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate thread

It seems the GBP is never going to have the strength it once had, and the natural value of the CAD is parity with the USD. While oil prices are strong the CAD will retain value, right?

My situation is complicated by a lot of my income coming from USD. It goes USD->GBP right now, and will be going USD->GBP->CAD soon until I sort out Canadian business, banking, accountants, etc etc!

Makes me sick when I think used to visit and exchange was 2.42. Could have bought a lot more house for our money, but then if it was just about what you can buy for your money would be moving to a different country.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Wish we could as our total income is in UK pounds. It was 2.52 when we came so the drop is huge.

We may even have to give up our wine and bearing in mind that we hardly ever go out over here that would be the last straw!
I'm in the same boat income wise. Fortunately I am reasonably healthy which has allowed me to take part time work. Not because I want too, quite enjoyed being 'retired' however, needs must.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

garywright is an unknown quantity at this point

i,m selling the house in canada and moving back to uk,any ideas as to best place to go to ,to get best rates of exchange.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 10:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garywright
i,m selling the house in canada and moving back to uk,any ideas as to best place to go to ,to get best rates of exchange.
The bank?
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Hey JAJ, I am really surprised at your remark We're in exactly that position, having just sold our house and will be looking to exchange all of our money into GBP. It can make a big difference exchanging with the right bank. Or indeed would it be a bank
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

I am in Canada and used these people, this is the North American arm of HiFX who who have an advertising banner on this site and will give you a much better rate than most banks. They operate through the Bank of New Zealand. Currently they charge no fees over a certain amount and are very efficent. They have a free phone number and will step you through the process over the phone if you wish. When they receive your money, it is usually in your destination account by the next business day:

http://www.currencyonline.com/

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 1st 2010 at 1:11 am.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamikaze
Thanks for that, I guess there are some nice people in calgary , Its just shows there is a divide between people who make jobs and people who just have one. Its dead easy to throw insults, try employing hundreds of people and having there familys dreams resting on your shoulders and you might understand my post, until then keep doing you 40hr week and leave the finance isssues to people who undertand economics.
Oh lord spare us from idiots who run businesses and think they are ayn randian supermen (this is the third time I've used that phrase on these boards). You really aren't you know.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

when i transfer money i use a mob called ozforex (in canada i believe they are called canadianforex, but they have branches in pretty much every english speaking country). their rate tends to be about 1 - 1.5% better than the banks. it usually takes about a week for me to get my money, and they charge about $15 in fees which i thought was pretty reasonable

having said that... the most i have transferred is about $4k. not sure how it works with the kind of sums you're talking about

Last edited by david_oz; Mar 1st 2010 at 3:59 am.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute

I use Rational FX to make large regular payments on a monthly basis.

http://www.rationalfx.com/

They are often the live Spot rate plus 20 pips which is very good.

I tried Hi-FX and was not very impressed at all i am afraid, i gave them several chances to compete against Rational FX and they were miles out on each and every occasion.

I do the deal on the phone and Rational email me a confirmation, i then send them the money same day.

As soon as it arrives it is wired out in my new account and everything is sorted within 24-36 hrs max.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:43 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Dunno, I see at least two real chances of that happening in the next year:

1. Tories win the election and they get at least a 'honeymoon period' where currency markets expect them to do something to get British borrowing under control. Possibly they do even manage to get it under control, though I can't see Cameron suddenly growing enough balls to do a Thatcher.

2. China tanks and the commodity markets go down with it, reducing the value of Canadian resources.
1.57 right now. I think the market is pricing in the chance of a hung parlianment - that would be a disaster all round.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:48 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
1.57 right now. I think the market is pricing in the chance of a hung parlianment - that would be a disaster all round.
I'm well hung, the markets may be correct.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kamikaze
I hear ya , I hear ya, our goal was to move to BC to have a family and grow a business, make jobs, we already have the big house on the ocean,so for us it was all about whales,bears,cougars,mountains,eagles and the great out doors, but when it comes to business I am ruthless and I wouldnt borrow money at these rates let alone give away my own to a bad exchange market, I understand that for most people when they are changing the value of a family home then its maybe only the differance of $15/20K at a poorer exchange rate but when your looking to invest in Canada then your looking at hundreds of thousands of $ and you have to ask yourself where is my money better to live ? in canada where its instantly worth 20% less than it was or just sleeping here in the UK, It would not be as hard a decision if canada still had cheaper goods and services but other than Gas & cars we are not seeing the differance we used to, it now cheaper to buy most thing in the UK in our mind.
Hey I'm 'almost' starting to feel fortunate that i have no money to worry about losing. How's about some pity for us poor folk