Exchange Rate

Old Dec 1st 2017, 6:39 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange Rate

Originally Posted by glendem4
GBPCAD hovering close to $1.70 this morning.

Let's hope the UK government starts Trade talks with the EU in December and the exchange rate can pop up to $1.75

Last 5 years GBPCAD
Highest: 2.0978
Lowest: 1.5237
Difference: 0.5741
Average: 1.7682
Don't see it going much above the average unless the Brexit decision is reversed.

Interest rates are also rising in Canada as well as oil getting back towards $60. In my 8 years in Canada I've never seen the economy here as strong.

Britain is no longer a hot bed for money and investment. Dublin and Frankfurt are the big winners of that.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Quick exchange rate Question. When i deposit a Pound Sterling cheque to my Canadian bank account there is a 25 day with holding period to let the cheque clear, do i get the exchange rate at day of deposit or day the cheque clears?
Old Dec 7th 2017, 6:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

What just happened?

I was due to transfer some ££ to $$ this week and had been keeping my eye on the rate. $1.69 was cosistently coming up, only changing by the third decimal place.

I did the transfer yesterday and it arrived today. I see the rate is now $1.73.

It wasn't a big transfer so only a $14 'loss' but what happened that changed it by 4c from yesterday?
Old Dec 7th 2017, 8:13 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What just happened?

I was due to transfer some ££ to $$ this week and had been keeping my eye on the rate. $1.69 was cosistently coming up, only changing by the third decimal place.
I did the transfer yesterday and it arrived today. I see the rate is now $1.73.
It wasn't a big transfer so only a $14 'loss' but what happened that changed it by 4c from yesterday?
The irish, north and south, have both thrown a small bomb into the brexit negotiations. Today, the southern irish, to whom the EU have given a veto on the progression to trade talks, were reported to have come very close to an agreement about the irish border with the UK and this 'good' news directly caused the uptick in the sterling exchange rate.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 8:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
The irish, north and south, have both thrown a small bomb into the brexit negotiations. Today, the southern irish, to whom the EU have given a veto on the progression to trade talks, were reported to have come very close to an agreement about the irish border with the UK and this 'good' news directly caused the uptick in the sterling exchange rate.
Well, I'm no expert but I think that would affect today/tomorrow rather than yesterday/today.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm no expert but I think that would affect today/tomorrow rather than yesterday/today.
The move yesterday can be explained by the Bank of Canada actions.

The Canadian Dollar weakened Wednesday after the Bank of Canada kept its overnight policy rate on hold and left markets guessing as to when another interest rate rise might be forthcoming.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ca...ta-uncertainty

The move today can be explained by
https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gb...t-breakthrough
Old Dec 7th 2017, 8:43 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

The rise started within minutes of the report of very close to reaching agreement. Was about 1.715 when rise initiated about 6-7 hours ago, currently 1.731.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:57 pm
Oscar nominated

The move yesterday can be explained by the Bank of Canada actions....
The move today can be explained by...
A bit of both then.

Originally Posted by dave_j
The rise started within minutes of the report of very close to reaching agreement. Was about 1.715 when rise initiated about 6-7 hours ago, currently 1.731.

Is this you?

Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

This is another reason I downloaded TransferWise.
They emailed me yesterday as the GBP/CDN$ had reached a threshold that I inputted to consider to transfer/exchange.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian Dollar has sold off after worse-than-expected growth data in October poured cold water on rising optimism.

The Canadian Dollar has fallen steeply after the release of Canadian GDP showed a lower-than-expected growth rate in October.
Canada's Gross Domestic Product a measure of overall economic growth rose by 0.0% in October according to Statistics Canada.

The result fell below the 0.2% consensus estimate.

The Pound-to-Canadian Dollar shot higher following the result as the Canadian Dollar weakened, moving from a pre-release level of 1.7018 to 1.7105 at the time of writing.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ca...ta-later-today
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 1:44 pm
Oscar nominated

...The Canadian Dollar has fallen steeply....The Pound-to-Canadian Dollar shot higher following the result as the Canadian Dollar weakened, moving from a pre-release level of 1.7018 to 1.7105 at the time of writing...
That all sounds rather dramatic for a one cent change.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 2:58 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

was looking to change CAD to GBP. Is it worth waiting a few weeks until it levels back to 1.6?
Old Dec 27th 2017, 4:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
was looking to change CAD to GBP. Is it worth waiting a few weeks until it levels back to 1.6?
CAD to GBP is 0.59 it may go to 0.60 or so, doubt it'll go to 1.6!

Currency is a waiting game, if there was a way to tell, we would all be very well off. I decide a rate I can accept, wait, make the trade when it happens.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 5:01 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
CAD to GBP is 0.59 it may go to 0.60 or so, doubt it'll go to 1.6!

Currency is a waiting game, if there was a way to tell, we would all be very well off. I decide a rate I can accept, wait, make the trade when it happens.
But exchanging right now is not a correct thing to do.. right ? Its the lowest it’s been for years ?
Old Dec 28th 2017, 2:11 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
But exchanging right now is not a correct thing to do.. right ? Its the lowest it’s been for years ?
There is no right and wrong. It is what is good for each individual. I am still buying from the UK and pay bills as needed. Over the year it averages out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.