British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Exchange Rate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/exchange-rate-905304/)

glendem4 Oct 31st 2017 4:21 pm

Exchange Rate

Glad to see the £ is getting a bid today and now above $1.71. Target upside in the short term is $1.73 and hopefully a retest of $1.77 if the BOE announce the possibility of more interest rate rises in 2018.

For people moving to Canada from UK let's hope Brexit issues get resolved soon, otherwise the £ could be weak for another 2-3 years like it was from 2009-2013

Hurlabrick Oct 31st 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Exchange Rate

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12371898)
Glad to see the £ is getting a bid today and now above $1.71. Target upside in the short term is $1.73 and hopefully a retest of $1.77 if the BOE announce the possibility of more interest rate rises in 2018.

For people moving to Canada from UK let's hope Brexit issues get resolved soon, otherwise the £ could be weak for another 2-3 years like it was from 2009-2013

Good luck with all that. I hope it will climb too. But 'conventional wisdom' says that the markets have already 'priced in' a likely UK base rate rise in a couple of days - so perhaps $1.72. If there is no rate rise, get ready for it to slump back down to $1.64ish IMHO.

At the end of the day of course even the experts don't know.

Absolutely agree with you about getting BREXIT resolved soon, or at least starting trade talks. All of this politically inspired nonsense is hurting real people who want to get on with their lives!

glendem4 Oct 31st 2017 5:01 pm

Sterling spikes as chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier indicates that he is ready to speed up Brexit talk

Pound spikes as Michel Barnier says he's ready to speed up Brexit talks

Aviator Oct 31st 2017 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12371898)
otherwise the £ could be weak for another 2-3 years like it was from 2009-2013

For some it has been weak for way longer than that. We used to expect a low of 2.25, sometimes up to 2.62

Hurlabrick Nov 1st 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12371986)
For some it has been weak for way longer than that. We used to expect a low of 2.25, sometimes up to 2.62

An average exchange rate of £1.00 = $2.00 would be truly wonderful, but is currently beyond my wildest dreams of avarice for the next couple of years!

But hey - who knows!

Yorkiechef Nov 2nd 2017 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12372477)
An average exchange rate of £1.00 = $2.00 would be truly wonderful, but is currently beyond my wildest dreams of avarice for the next couple of years!

But hey - who knows!

I had the option of that exchange rate right upto the BREXIT vote, I moved three weeks later having not taken advantage of that rate. Now I'm earning big bucks in Canada, I want it the other way, bring back 1.50!

jerryhung Nov 2nd 2017 4:02 am

I hate Brexit.

Hurlabrick Nov 3rd 2017 8:26 am

$1.672 today post-BOE rate rise - significantly below the 1.71 it was at immediately before. Shows you how hard things are to predict.

Glad I tranferred a tranche a day earlier at 1.70.

AshMyl Nov 3rd 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12373862)
$1.672 today post-BOE rate rise - significantly below the 1.71 it was at immediately before. Shows you how hard things are to predict.

Glad I tranferred a tranche a day earlier at 1.70.

Lucky you!!! I missed this boat! this time anyways:fingerscrossed:

glendem4 Nov 21st 2017 8:10 am

GBPCAD hovering close to $1.70 this morning.

Let's hope the UK government starts Trade talks with the EU in December and the exchange rate can pop up to $1.75

Last 5 years GBPCAD
Highest: 2.0978
Lowest: 1.5237
Difference: 0.5741
Average: 1.7682

glendem4 Nov 29th 2017 5:57 am

$1.71453 this morning. Several news items could boost the £ if Russia pulls out of the agreement to limit oil production at the next OPEC meeting on Thursday and the EU and UK agree talks can proceed on trade on Monday 4th December. Recent low on 13 November at $1.66 and high of $1.715 on 01 November

Hurlabrick Nov 29th 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12390835)
$1.71453 this morning. Several news items could boost the £ if Russia pulls out of the agreement to limit oil production at the next OPEC meeting on Thursday and the EU and UK agree talks can proceed on trade on Monday 4th December. Recent low on 13 November at $1.66 and high of $1.715 on 01 November

Fingers crossed! Keep going!!!

AshMyl Nov 30th 2017 9:55 pm

$1.74 tonight... can someone let us know when it is at it's peak.. :rofl::eek:

Let's hope it keeps rising:fingerscrossed:

Edo Dec 1st 2017 12:18 am

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12390835)

Unfortunately this didn't happen cuz Russia decided that they want to continue with the cut extension.

dave_j Dec 1st 2017 2:47 pm

Peaked overnight but managed to get 1.745 yesterday, fell today as canadian figures came out that was much expected to be good. Currently 1.718.

JamesM Dec 1st 2017 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12386417)
GBPCAD hovering close to $1.70 this morning.

Let's hope the UK government starts Trade talks with the EU in December and the exchange rate can pop up to $1.75

Last 5 years GBPCAD
Highest: 2.0978
Lowest: 1.5237
Difference: 0.5741
Average: 1.7682

Don't see it going much above the average unless the Brexit decision is reversed.

Interest rates are also rising in Canada as well as oil getting back towards $60. In my 8 years in Canada I've never seen the economy here as strong.

Britain is no longer a hot bed for money and investment. Dublin and Frankfurt are the big winners of that.

scrubbedexpat134 Dec 7th 2017 6:08 pm

Quick exchange rate Question. When i deposit a Pound Sterling cheque to my Canadian bank account there is a 25 day with holding period to let the cheque clear, do i get the exchange rate at day of deposit or day the cheque clears?

BristolUK Dec 7th 2017 6:42 pm

What just happened?

I was due to transfer some ££ to $$ this week and had been keeping my eye on the rate. $1.69 was cosistently coming up, only changing by the third decimal place.

I did the transfer yesterday and it arrived today. I see the rate is now $1.73.

It wasn't a big transfer so only a $14 'loss' but what happened that changed it by 4c from yesterday?

dave_j Dec 7th 2017 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12395630)
What just happened?

I was due to transfer some ££ to $$ this week and had been keeping my eye on the rate. $1.69 was cosistently coming up, only changing by the third decimal place.
I did the transfer yesterday and it arrived today. I see the rate is now $1.73.
It wasn't a big transfer so only a $14 'loss' but what happened that changed it by 4c from yesterday?

The irish, north and south, have both thrown a small bomb into the brexit negotiations. Today, the southern irish, to whom the EU have given a veto on the progression to trade talks, were reported to have come very close to an agreement about the irish border with the UK and this 'good' news directly caused the uptick in the sterling exchange rate.

BristolUK Dec 7th 2017 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12395686)
The irish, north and south, have both thrown a small bomb into the brexit negotiations. Today, the southern irish, to whom the EU have given a veto on the progression to trade talks, were reported to have come very close to an agreement about the irish border with the UK and this 'good' news directly caused the uptick in the sterling exchange rate.

Well, I'm no expert but I think that would affect today/tomorrow rather than yesterday/today.

glendem4 Dec 7th 2017 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12395693)
Well, I'm no expert but I think that would affect today/tomorrow rather than yesterday/today.

The move yesterday can be explained by the Bank of Canada actions.

The Canadian Dollar weakened Wednesday after the Bank of Canada kept its overnight policy rate on hold and left markets guessing as to when another interest rate rise might be forthcoming.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ca...ta-uncertainty

The move today can be explained by
https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gb...t-breakthrough

dave_j Dec 7th 2017 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12395693)

The rise started within minutes of the report of very close to reaching agreement. Was about 1.715 when rise initiated about 6-7 hours ago, currently 1.731.

BristolUK Dec 7th 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12395699)
The move yesterday can be explained by the Bank of Canada actions....
The move today can be explained by...

A bit of both then. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12395705)
The rise started within minutes of the report of very close to reaching agreement. Was about 1.715 when rise initiated about 6-7 hours ago, currently 1.731.

:thumbup:

Is this you?
http://www.edisonticker.com/images/t.../neggalway.jpg
;)

Davita Dec 7th 2017 11:58 pm

This is another reason I downloaded TransferWise.
They emailed me yesterday as the GBP/CDN$ had reached a threshold that I inputted to consider to transfer/exchange.

glendem4 Dec 22nd 2017 1:08 pm

The Canadian Dollar has sold off after worse-than-expected growth data in October poured cold water on rising optimism.

The Canadian Dollar has fallen steeply after the release of Canadian GDP showed a lower-than-expected growth rate in October.
Canada's Gross Domestic Product a measure of overall economic growth rose by 0.0% in October according to Statistics Canada.

The result fell below the 0.2% consensus estimate.

The Pound-to-Canadian Dollar shot higher following the result as the Canadian Dollar weakened, moving from a pre-release level of 1.7018 to 1.7105 at the time of writing.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ca...ta-later-today

BristolUK Dec 22nd 2017 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by glendem4 (Post 12403995)
...The Canadian Dollar has fallen steeply....The Pound-to-Canadian Dollar shot higher following the result as the Canadian Dollar weakened, moving from a pre-release level of 1.7018 to 1.7105 at the time of writing...

That all sounds rather dramatic for a one cent change.

BritCanadaNewbie Dec 27th 2017 2:58 pm

was looking to change CAD to GBP. Is it worth waiting a few weeks until it levels back to 1.6? :(

Aviator Dec 27th 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 12405693)
was looking to change CAD to GBP. Is it worth waiting a few weeks until it levels back to 1.6? :(

CAD to GBP is 0.59 it may go to 0.60 or so, doubt it'll go to 1.6!

Currency is a waiting game, if there was a way to tell, we would all be very well off. I decide a rate I can accept, wait, make the trade when it happens.

BritCanadaNewbie Dec 27th 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12405747)
CAD to GBP is 0.59 it may go to 0.60 or so, doubt it'll go to 1.6!

Currency is a waiting game, if there was a way to tell, we would all be very well off. I decide a rate I can accept, wait, make the trade when it happens.

But exchanging right now is not a correct thing to do.. right ? Its the lowest it’s been for years ?

Aviator Dec 28th 2017 2:11 am

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 12405753)
But exchanging right now is not a correct thing to do.. right ? Its the lowest it’s been for years ?

There is no right and wrong. It is what is good for each individual. I am still buying from the UK and pay bills as needed. Over the year it averages out.

BritCanadaNewbie Dec 28th 2017 3:20 am

Another issue I’m having is getting my funds out from CAD to GBP. You can’t transfer more that 7500 CAD from BMO using exchange tools (XE, transfer wise etc ..). Anyone had any success writing themselves a cheque from their CAD to GBP account ? What other options are there if your not in TO?

Aviator Dec 28th 2017 3:48 am

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 12405970)
Another issue I’m having is getting my funds out from CAD to GBP. You can’t transfer more that 7500 CAD from BMO using exchange tools (XE, transfer wise etc ..). Anyone had any success writing themselves a cheque from their CAD to GBP account ? What other options are there if your not in TO?

A FX broker. We do our by phone order and bank transfer in CAD to the broker.

Davita Dec 28th 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 12405970)

Why not TransferWise?

I just did a dummy test to send CDN$20,000 from my HSBC in Vancouver to any recipient in UK and TransferWise states they would receive GBP11,715.69p by tomorrow night.

BTW....I'm currently doing this dummy transaction in Jakarta, Indonesia.

BritCanadaNewbie Dec 28th 2017 11:51 am

No such joy with BMO. I’m not in TO either so can’t wire out :(

Aviator Dec 28th 2017 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 12406157)
No such joy with BMO. I’m not in TO either so can’t wire out :(

Why do you need to be in Toronto? We are out in the boonies of BC. Regularly send payments our in foreign currency. Right now our credit union FX dept is giving us the best rate (not in the branch).

BritCanadaNewbie Dec 28th 2017 5:39 pm

i'm in UK. BMO States you in need to be in country to Send wires. How to get your funds from your account to broker? Bill pay? EFT?

Davita Dec 28th 2017 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie (Post 12406318)
i'm in UK. BMO States you in need to be in country to Send wires. How to get your funds from your account to broker? Bill pay? EFT?

BMO has on-line banking.....https://www1.bmo.com/onlinebanking/c...main?product=5

With HSBC Canada it's a straight on-line transfer of funds to TransferWise who then do an on-line exchange/transfer to any UK account.
The action only takes a few minutes. The actual transfer could take a couple of work-days.

Like I said previously...I do it even I'm on holiday in Indonesia.

BritCanadaNewbie Dec 29th 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Davita (Post 12406468)
BMO has on-line banking.....https://www1.bmo.com/onlinebanking/c...main?product=5

With HSBC Canada it's a straight on-line transfer of funds to TransferWise who then do an on-line exchange/transfer to any UK account.
The action only takes a few minutes. The actual transfer could take a couple of work-days.

Like I said previously...I do it even I'm on holiday in Indonesia.

? Yes I know online banking . Can’t do larger that 7500$ with BMO. Even on the phone. I can’t send a wire unless I’m in country. I’m not in canada to open a HSBC account.
Anyone ever tried writing themselves a cheque from their CAD to GBP account ? That can work if cash isn’t urgent right ?

Steve_ Dec 31st 2017 3:54 am

$2.05 is the 25 year average for £1.

Why anyone moves from the UK to Canada with this exchange rate is beyond me.

Vulcanoid Dec 31st 2017 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 12407776)
$2.05 is the 25 year average for £1.

Why anyone moves from the UK to Canada with this exchange rate is beyond me.

Because people need to purchase goods and services and homes now, not in 1997?

Over the past ten years, GBP/CAD has spent more time below 1.60 than it has above 1.90, and general consensus seems to be that Britain's fortunes are worse before they're better, so unless Canada enters a depression, anything above 1.70 is likely a ways off.

As a general rule, not many people have the luxury of waiting 5-15 years to see if they get an exchange rate they like.