British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   exchange rate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/exchange-rate-558458/)

redwater daz Aug 30th 2008 8:41 pm

exchange rate

:curse:the exchange rate is not too good at the moment does any one have a recomendation of a good company for exchange and what rate should i expect :eek:

Iain Mc Aug 30th 2008 8:47 pm

Re: exchange rate

Before anyone else jumps down your throat for asking the most frequently asked question on this forum, I'll give you a friendly push toward the million page Exchange Rate thread, which should probably be a Forum stickie. Just jump straight to the end and read it backward until you find a useful answer :)

Surrey Expat Aug 30th 2008 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Iain Mc (Post 6732184)
Before anyone else jumps down your throat for asking the most frequently asked question on this forum, I'll give you a friendly push toward the million page Exchange Rate thread, which should probably be a Forum stickie. Just jump straight to the end and read it backward until you find a useful answer :)

Good call:thumbup:

geedee Aug 31st 2008 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Iain Mc (Post 6732184)

NO! Start at the beginning.....:lol:

mandymoochops Aug 31st 2008 12:44 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 6732665)
NO! Start at the beginning.....:lol:

Great then by the end you can slit your wrists over how much you've just "lost" in the previous 96 pages

geedee Aug 31st 2008 2:19 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 6732671)
Great then by the end you can slit your wrists over how much you've just "lost" in the previous 96 pages

You mean with comments like this:

Apr 17th 2007, 4:00 pm (post 1 !!)

Damn it's down to $2.25 now almost 10c less than what it was in Feb.
They reckon interest rates will almost certainly be going up next month to stop inflation rising any more.

It is so frustrating watching the rate going down while you are weeks away from selling your house to convert to dollars... (DannyB)

And a reply....

It was (very briefly) at $2.70 earlier this year!!!!!!!!! (TheTWs)

Sob!!

montreal mike Aug 31st 2008 2:38 am

http://www.economagic.com/em-cgi/dat...edstl/exusuk+2

montreal mike Aug 31st 2008 2:42 am

1984 12 1.1861
1985 01 1.1271
1985 02 1.0931
1985 03 1.1253

2008 03 2.0015
2008 04 1.9816
2008 05 1.9650
2008 06 1.9664

bazzz Aug 31st 2008 2:48 am

That's the US dollar, innit?

johnh009 Aug 31st 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by redwater daz (Post 6732163)
:curse:the exchange rate is not too good at the moment does any one have a recomendation of a good company for exchange and what rate should i expect :eek:

Looks like currently there is pressure on the Bank of England to reduce interest rates and therefore a downward pressure on the pound.

geedee Aug 31st 2008 2:56 am

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 6732978)
Looks like currently there is pressure on the Bank of England to reduce interest rates and therefore a downward pressure on the pound.

Oy! Get on the Real ER thread....:)

cneldred Aug 31st 2008 2:59 am

Comments from a very dovish (favours lower interest rates) member of the MPC yesterday. Forget which one it was but was along the lines of we need to cut (and large cut), starting right now. Said pretty much screw inflation we are heading straight into the biggest recession in decades and we are well behind the curve. Also comments from Alistair Darling UK is braced for the biggest slowdown in 60 years. Both those comments are very very negative for sterling, lower rates in UK reflects a less favourable investment for position traders and therefore a sell versus currencies which are holding rates steady or increasing rates.

All trading desks in the financial markets should be back in by next Wednesday.

Chris

POSTED ON REAL THREAD ASWELL

montreal mike Aug 31st 2008 3:14 am

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6732967)
That's the US dollar, innit?

Yes but it gives you an idea how weak the UK pound once was (and could be again).

johnh009 Aug 31st 2008 3:20 am

Originally Posted by cneldred (Post 6732989)
Comments from a very dovish (favours lower interest rates) member of the MPC yesterday. Forget which one it was but was along the lines of we need to cut (and large cut), starting right now. Said pretty much screw inflation we are heading straight into the biggest recession in decades and we are well behind the curve. Also comments from Alistair Darling UK is braced for the biggest slowdown in 60 years. Both those comments are very very negative for sterling, lower rates in UK reflects a less favourable investment for position traders and therefore a sell versus currencies which are holding rates steady or increasing rates.

All trading desks in the financial markets should be back in by next Wednesday.

Chris

POSTED ON REAL THREAD ASWELL

George Sorous (who has rarely been wrong), has predicted that the UK is heading for a recession that they will not forget. When I see a country where house prices have doubled in 5 years and people are using their homes like bank machines, I wonder if he is correct?