Exchange rate

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
I was wondering actually, when we set up the account they gave us an English GBP account and a Canadian CAD account which run along side one another so i can deposit gbp or cad into them, I have wondered what the exchange rate would be? Do you think it would be the straight Interbanking exchage rate?
unlikely as they normally take a little bit for themselves BUT if you use someone like www.xe.com and trade over the market it could work out pretty good.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:19 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering actually, when we set up the account they gave us an English GBP account and a Canadian CAD account which run along side one another so i can deposit gbp or cad into them, I have wondered what the exchange rate would be? Do you think it would be the straight Interbanking exchage rate?
No it will be their market rate (which I have never found to be much). We used to hold and HSBC GBP account and use Custom House for our FX transactions. It was a pain using HSBC, far easier using an overseas bank, such as Barclays, Custom House just take it out using a Direct Debit Mandate and deposit it in $CAD into the designated account.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
No it will be their market rate (which I have never found to be much). We used to hold and HSBC GBP account and use Custom House for our FX transactions. It was a pain using HSBC, far easier using an overseas bank, such as Barclays, Custom House just take it out using a Direct Debit Mandate and deposit it in $CAD into the designated account.
I will both 2nd and 3rd that comment xe.com also use custom house ( I think ) so they should all be one happy family.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

I dont actually hold a HSBC account in the UK, Just in Canada, and use interchangefx for changing money
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

you'll get a slightly better rate if you exchange a large sum with them but a standard Canadian bank will still rape you on the rate. Better to go with a trading account like HiFX or Moneycorps who just "shave" a tiny amout off the rate not huge amounts like the banks will.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
you'll get a slightly better rate if you exchange a large sum with them but a standard Canadian bank will still rape you on the rate. Better to go with a trading account like HiFX or Moneycorps who just "shave" a tiny amout off the rate not huge amounts like the banks will.
On 20k i was offered 1.3 cents below the inter bank exchange rate,and on 100k 0.7 cents below,thought that was'nt too bad
Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:22 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Our GBP account was in Canada, which is what made it silly, we had to go into the branch to do a transfer to Custom House for them to do the exchange, whereas from a UK bank account it can all be processed by Custom House using a direct debit manadate.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:49 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

1.92 sob

Need to change up about $20K in the next 3 weeks or so - change now or wait and see if UK interest rates are held?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77
1.92 sob

Need to change up about $20K in the next 3 weeks or so - change now or wait and see if UK interest rates are held?
Same here, i have till October 1st,if the BOE lowers rates what effect do you think it will have ?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Same here, i have till October 1st,if the BOE lowers rates what effect do you think it will have ?
Normally people would say a drop for sterling. But the markets seem to be a complete lottery these days..... it might go up!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

With inflation over double the governments desired rate, can't see interest rates coming down.
Exchange rate is only going 1 direction for the foreseeable future. Shame as we're landing in 3 weeks so have had to take a massive hit on transferring our funds
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:19 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
With inflation over double the governments desired rate, can't see interest rates coming down.
Exchange rate is only going 1 direction for the foreseeable future. Shame as we're landing in 3 weeks so have had to take a massive hit on transferring our funds
If interest rates don't come down, then that's good because it makes sterling stronger, hence more CAD to GBP! However, seeing as the British economy is down the toilet, it probably won't make much of a difference
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
I think you're forgetting who's "in charge" of the UK at the moment! A self-serving slimy bunch of spin merchants who have their own interests way ahead of the Country's.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Things are very dire with the exchange rate at the moment, but remember one important thing. Most traders be it banks or self employed will not return to their desks properly until after the Labor Day holiday.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cneldred
Things are very dire with the exchange rate at the moment, but remember one important thing. Most traders be it banks or self employed will not return to their desks properly until after the Labor Day holiday.
Enjoy your holiday Mr. C?

Hopefully when the pros get back on the terminals they'll factor in that the Canadian economy isn't bullet proof either and we'll see a return to that good old 2.35!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.