Exchange rate

Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Come now Howard, 'fess up. You're the Hyde to dbd33's Jeckyll aren't you?
Lol...

Has dbd two login accounts? One has to wonder.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Howard seems like an awkward individual or likes to get a reaction and he's achieving that. I think it's better to ignore someone by not telling them that you're going to ignore them and avoid feeding the fire.
Oh I just get SO annoyed at times with him...The way he throws his socks on the floor before he gets into bed, never puts the cap back on the toothpaste tube...OH!!

Yes I agree with you, it's just my iPOD battery still hasn't arrived, I had to take it out on someone.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve666
Oh I just get SO annoyed at times with him...The way he throws his socks on the floor before he gets into bed, never puts the cap back on the toothpaste tube...OH!!

Yes I agree with you, it's just my iPOD battery still hasn't arrived, I had to take it out on someone.
and there was me thinking it was your PMT week
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for the minor thread hi-jack, but this is a related question at least.

We are in Canada and decided not to sell our place in the UK, the intention is it will be rented. Unfortunately we have been here nearly three months and the place is still empty so I now have to start sending money across to the UK to pay the mortgage each month. I have just sent the first payment which cost me CAD 4030.00 to buy GBP 2000.00. This included a CAD 20.00 charge for a wire transfer, I used CustomHouse.

My question is, is there a cheaper way to transfer this sort of amount on a monthly basis? Obviously with the exchange rate the way it is we certainly don't want to sell the place in the UK and if it does rent then we won't have to. However we do have to keep sending these relatively small amounts every month regardless of exchange rate and so losing nearly 1% on every transaction is annoying.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:53 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarfish
Sorry for the minor thread hi-jack, but this is a related question at least.

We are in Canada and decided not to sell our place in the UK, the intention is it will be rented. Unfortunately we have been here nearly three months and the place is still empty so I now have to start sending money across to the UK to pay the mortgage each month. I have just sent the first payment which cost me CAD 4030.00 to buy GBP 2000.00. This included a CAD 20.00 charge for a wire transfer, I used CustomHouse.

My question is, is there a cheaper way to transfer this sort of amount on a monthly basis? Obviously with the exchange rate the way it is we certainly don't want to sell the place in the UK and if it does rent then we won't have to. However we do have to keep sending these relatively small amounts every month regardless of exchange rate and so losing nearly 1% on every transaction is annoying.
You obviously have a lot more confidence in the UK property market thn many other people do. Even conservative estimates predict a decline in property values of around 15% over the next two years. That, coupled with the fact that you havent been able to find tenants and the house is now costing you money would surely be enough incentive to sell your place in the UK.

Of course I agree with you about the exchange rate but selling your house in the UK doesnt mean you have to convert the equity you release into Canadian dollars right away. I would sell (if you can), put the money you make into a high rate savings account in the UK and earn interest on it instead of it costing you money instead. Then exchange when you feel the time is right (but be warned that several posters on here think the rate could go lower still over the short term)
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold

I do expect the house prices to drop in the UK, but our house is a large period property (about 450 years old) in a village location. It is therefore quite rare and desirable, so does tend to be a little more stable in its price than 'typical' homes.

However the main two reasons we want to hang on to it are first we might change our minds about Canada and want to come back to the UK! Second, if it does rent then it would be an excellent long term investment. House prices may well fall over the next 2 years, but I am prepared to bet that over the next ten years they will still out perform any risk-free investments either in the UK or in Canada.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

I do expect the house prices to drop in the UK, but our house is a large period property (about 450 years old) in a village location. It is therefore quite rare and desirable, so does tend to be a little more stable in its price than 'typical' homes.

However the main two reasons we want to hang on to it are first we might change our minds about Canada and want to come back to the UK! Second, if it does rent then it would be an excellent long term investment. House prices may well fall over the next 2 years, but I am prepared to bet that over the next ten years they will still out perform any risk-free investments either in the UK or in Canada.
Kick your agents.

If your house is in/near Oxfordshire, I can recommend a firm that I would trust to do a good job.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beebop
Kick your agents.

If your house is in/near Oxfordshire, I can recommend a firm that I would trust to do a good job.
We are on with 3 agents at the moment, house is between Milton Keynes and Northampton at the top of Buckinghamshire. Please do let me have your recommendation if they have offices that cover that area.

In case anyone is interested, or knows someone who is, then details with the three agents are here: JacksonStops, MichaelGraham and MarcusJordan
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:36 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I think you would find that larger and more expensive homes are typically the ones to suffer the greatest loss during a downturn in the market. After all people still have to have somewhere to live (so the lower end tends to be fairly stable) whereas they dont want to poor money into an expensive house that they think may loose value further. And higher interest rates make it that much harde for people to streatch to the house they really want so they tend to scale back. Large/expensive homes become the ones that are hard to sell.

Also, at a rental income of GBP1,500 per month you would be getting s terrible return so I'm not sure I agree with the statement about it being "an excellent long-term investement". I don't know how much you house would sell for. Lets assume GBP500k for argument sake. The GBP18,000 per year rental income you would get (probably nearer to GBP15,000 after you factor in the letting agents fees, insurance, council tax etc) would only get you a return of about 3% per annum. That doesnt sound like a great investment to me. Arent some UK banks and building societies overring 7% savings accounts now? And that would certainly be risk free - you wouldn't suffer a loss on the principal.

But hey, its your money.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

1.9742 @ noon today.

Oops.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:43 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
1.9742 @ noon today.

Oops.
It can stay there for the next week or so. It'll make the bitter cheaper. I'd like it back to 2.25 by month-end though (pleeeeeeeeeeeeze).

Last edited by Souvenir; Oct 19th 2007 at 6:51 pm. Reason: Missing apostrophe.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir;
It can stay there for the next week or so. It'll make the bitter cheaper. Id like it back to 2.25 by month-end though (pleeeeeeeeeeeeze).
1 $C = 1.3747 Euros today. I'm going to Germany in 2 weeks. Extra Pils for me too.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
1 $C = 1.3747 Euros today. I'm going to Germany in 2 weeks. Extra Pils for me too.
European lagers I can get here. Bitter is what I'm looking forward to most (sorry Mum).
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

We are on with 3 agents at the moment, house is between Milton Keynes and Northampton at the top of Buckinghamshire. Please do let me have your recommendation if they have offices that cover that area.

In case anyone is interested, or knows someone who is, then details with the three agents are here: JacksonStops, MichaelGraham and MarcusJordan
Sent you a PM
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

TinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond repute

1.95 offered around 5pm today... agent called me with fears of it going lower...in turmoil.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.