British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Exchange rate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/exchange-rate-442788/)

Danny B Apr 25th 2007 2:21 pm

Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by Iain Mc (Post 4695444)
Sold your house yet?

Me?
Bit of bad news actually, the people buying mine had the people buying theirs pull out, so ours is back on the market again :mad:
Oh well, I'm not too stressed about it, who knows I may even get the asking price this time around.

Iain Mc Apr 25th 2007 2:38 pm

Me?
Yeah, you!

Mine should be on the market in May, to beat the HIP nonsense. Not particularly looking forward to the experience I must say, although I hope as migrants-who-are-not-in-a-chain we're a reasonably attractive proposition.

Sorry your buyers pulled out, better luck next time!

Cheers, Iain

Souvenir Apr 25th 2007 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Iain Mc (Post 4695751)
Yeah, you!

Mine should be on the market in May, to beat the HIP nonsense. Not particularly looking forward to the experience I must say, although I hope as migrants-who-are-not-in-a-chain we're a reasonably attractive proposition.

Cheers, Iain

Don't tell them you're migrating.

Danny B Apr 25th 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Iain Mc (Post 4695751)
Yeah, you!

Cheers, Iain

I guess being in our position has some advantages and also some disadvantages.
The advantage being that we can move out fairly sharpish with no onward chain, the disadvantage is that once people know that we are moving abroad they can muck us about as they might think we are desperate to go.

Having a spotless house 24x7 can be a real pain, especially with two kids and a dog. I dread the viewings where I have to show people around myself.

Londonuck Apr 25th 2007 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 4655117)
Are you sure about that? I've been keeping an eye on it for a while now and never seen it go above $2.35 in 2007.

What I'd do for it to rise to $2.70 on my completion date :)

It must be a mistake it hasnt been that high in years. When i moved over in '98 it was 2.58... by 2002ish it was down to 2.06. Recently its shot up to 2.30.

Iain Mc Apr 25th 2007 3:50 pm

Don't tell them you're migrating

the disadvantage is that once people know that we are moving abroad they can muck us about as they might think we are desperate to go
My solution to this is to candidly point out to the buyer (via the estate agent) that if we don't get a decent price we'll rent it out instead, no funny business. The ambition is to appear in control and not desperate! Especially when (reasonably) flexible exchange dates, no chain, and a potential fully-furnished sale are plus points to a potential buyer.

This is all theory, of course :)

louise033 Apr 25th 2007 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 4696000)
It must be a mistake it hasnt been that high in years. When i moved over in '98 it was 2.58... by 2002ish it was down to 2.06. Recently its shot up to 2.30.

We moved in Sept 2004 but changed our money up in the June of that year as the rate was 2.6 - we took a huge chance as we weren't even in Canada, but luckily it paid off for us.

ann m Apr 26th 2007 4:37 pm

2.23 :( :( :(

Souv's beer is getting cheaper by the minute ;)

Steve_P Apr 26th 2007 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 4701027)
2.23 :( :( :(

Souv's beer is getting cheaper by the minute ;)

Only $2.19 according to TD Commercial Banking Foreign Exchange calculator at 12:25:02 EDT Thu Apr 26, 2007.

Danny B Apr 26th 2007 5:30 pm

My house sale is now back on :D virtual beers are on me tonight!

Goragio Apr 26th 2007 5:46 pm

Wish I had kept an eye on the rates earlier. Our move will be soon and it seems to be on a downward trend. :(

Rob_999 Apr 26th 2007 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 4701255)
My house sale is now back on :D virtual beers are on me tonight!

Woo hoo :thumbsup: but it's only 10:30 am here:unsure:

Biiiiink Apr 26th 2007 6:41 pm

I exchanged for house purchase earlier today at 2.2190. I don't want to know if it goes up anytime soon, so I won't be looking at this thread again :D

Robski Apr 26th 2007 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 4701511)
I exchanged for house purchase earlier today at 2.2190. I don't want to know if it goes up anytime soon, so I won't be looking at this thread again :D

CONGRATULATIONS

deanonlisa Apr 26th 2007 9:05 pm

folks - give custom house a go when you are looking to exchange your money. I am confident you will get a better rate than the big boys -Moneycorp/HIFX. Ring them up (based in Vancouver I think) and see what you can get off them. If you are exchanging a substantial amount of money, 10K upwards you will get close to the business rate.