Exchange rate

Old May 27th 2010, 6:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by jimf
And in this situation liable to deepen a crash though. ie increase in interest to reduce inflation may actually cause inflation to rise leading to another increase in interest rates leading to rise in inflation etc...
Exactly. The way the use CPI to adjust interest rates amplifies the cycle rather than dampens it.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

cyclopes is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, need some positive movement here in the short term - closing on our house in two months.

Can everyone hold off buying crude oil for a few months please?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a theory that the Canadian Government tries to keep the CAD low by "suggesting" inflation. The 10pc rise in the cost of Monthly Transit Passes came right at a time when the CAD was touching the USD. I could be wrong but I wonder if anyone has noticed any similar tricks like that.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I have a theory that the Canadian Government tries to keep the CAD low by "suggesting" inflation. The 10pc rise in the cost of Monthly Transit Passes came right at a time when the CAD was touching the USD. I could be wrong but I wonder if anyone has noticed any similar tricks like that.
That's putting the cart before the horse just a little.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:14 pm

GBP/CAD up 8c or so in the last week.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:18 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes. The current rate was never sustainable. Long may it continue.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:21 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Exchange rate

Hi..

Yeah, just out of curiosity I've been watching the exchange rate too.

If memory serves me right the EU & Canada have begun trade talk agreements, and the exchange rate needs to increase a lot further to make Canadian products & services appealing to Europeans - so maybe this, with the recent UK emergency budget are helping things.

M.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by loser40
Hi..

Yeah, just out of curiosity I've been watching the exchange rate too.

If memory serves me right the EU & Canada have begun trade talk agreements, and the exchange rate needs to increase a lot further to make Canadian products & services appealing to Europeans - so maybe this, with the recent UK emergency budget are helping things.

M.
The plan to cut the UK deficit is helping as is the weakness of the US economy.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:28 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

The plan to cut the UK deficit is helping as is the weakness of the US economy.
...and the current strengh of the US dollar makes Americas products and services expensive for the UK & Europe too, so it's strengh may also slide.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

The plan to cut the UK deficit is helping....
....which in turn was helped greatly by a useless football team invalidating the need to import more 'EN-GER-LAND' paraphernalia from China and Co.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:47 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

...also a new influence on the international exchange rates will be China's decision to unpeg it's Yuan from the US dollar - I don't know how this is going to effect sterling and the Canadian dollar.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:10 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

The price has broken through a range ceiling that it's been under since March, around 1.56 and it's been quite a strong break, so the trend is definitely upward.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by oicur0t
The price has broken through a range ceiling that it's been under since March, around 1.56 and it's been quite a strong break, so the trend is definitely upward.
Through a range ceiling eh?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

I've been very bearish about the pound in the past, and long term, I continue to be, but now the new Government has shown it is willing to grasp the nettle, I think we could see it head back towards 1.90 or even 2.00 over the next 6 months. Depending on what happens with the Canadian economy it could stay there a long time before the looming long term energy crisis makes Canada one of the stronger economies in the West, then I think the pound may decline again, even beating current lows. But that is a long way off.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheBear
Depending on what happens with the Canadian economy it could stay there a long time before the looming long term energy crisis makes Canada one of the stronger economies in the West, then I think the pound may decline again, even beating current lows. But that is a long way off.
Valid points - I think that the lack of a manufacturing base is also a major issue that will begin to affect the UK in due course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.