Exchange rate

Old Oct 1st 2009, 1:51 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

I'm holding out for $2.60 for £
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
Say that to the Romans! Our country is changing forever due to the New Labour project, they have dumbed down our education system, allowed the total debasing of our economy and destroyed our culture. What is left is a nation that is so stupid it thinks it can become wealthy by selling houses to each other or winning a reality TV show, a nation with no identity because it has been flooded with uneducated immigrants and abandonded its own culture in favour of a multicultural mishmash of mediocrity and a nation so indebted that it will be decades before we are truly productive again.

I know Canada is equally multicutural, but I don't mind that because it never had a culture to start off with. The immigrants there are much like me, well educated (probably better educated than the locals). Although they have large public debts, they have the infrastructural assets and commodities to pay them off without placing a millstone around the neck of the populous. Shame about the neigbours though
Hear Hear! +1
Old Oct 1st 2009, 7:40 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I wouldn't consider selling and moving back even if it was below $1.50. We have too much invested emotionally in the move to go back for a financial gamble.

We came for a new life not financial gain.
Well said! It isn't about money is it? Somehow I think that becomes obvious once you're here but people who haven't made the move yet can't seem to forget about the money and focus on the new life.

I've seen a couple of people move back to the UK this year and I personally think it was partly financially motivated. They probably exchanged at 2.30 when they moved to Canada and in addition have escaped the fall in house prices in the UK whilst here and figured they could buy their old house back without the huge mortgage they had before. They're both regretting it now.

Since I'm back in the UK at the moment the reasons why we left are all so obvious again. You only have to read the newspaper to remind yourself. A lot of it does have to do with the government. First there's the cervical cancer vaccination drug. They chose the cheapest one didn't they? All the other countries chose the more expensive drug. I wonder why that was? Was it just because the other countries wanted to waste tax payers money? I doubt it - there must have been a medical reason. The UK government ignored that reason and chose the cheapest which tells you what it thinks of its citizens.

Then there's the article about the two police officers who job-shared and decided to look after each others kids during their time off. What a fantastic idea! - I know that this is something that would have been commended in Canada and probably turned into a national program. But in the UK they were told they couldn't do it by Ofsted! What!? What has Ofstead got to do with a private arrangement between two mothers? And then if you read the rest of the article you discover that it was their neighbor that reported them to Ofsted. What!? Why would a neighbor do that? Thats something that would only happen in the UK.

Then there's the article about the mother in the UK who committed suicide with her disabled child because they couldn't tolerate being bullied by the local gang of youths. They had called the police 33 times and they didn't do anything. Nor did anyone else for that matter. Eventually she was pushed to the limit by the yobs.

Compare and contrast that story with the story of the the creation of Pink Shirt Day in Nova Scotia - a story that touched me and makes me extremely proud to live where I do. A couple of years ago a kid in a high school was bullied because he wore a pink shirt. Two other kids (and they were just regular kids not tough guys) decided to do something about it. They went to the dollar store and bought 50 pink tank-tops. They handed them out on the way into school in the morning and encouraged all the boys to wear them. When the bullies turned up at school they were faced with 50 kids wearing pink shirts and the bullying stopped from that day on. The kids who started it were interviewed on national TV and their idea has turned into a national campaign to stop bullying.

I don't care what anyone says, the UK and Canada are so unbelievably different and it has nothing to do with economics or house prices or exchange rates. At the end of the day it boils down to where you want to live and spend the one life that you have.

Last edited by Paul Wildy; Oct 1st 2009 at 7:55 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Paul, I live in Nfld and listen to radio 1 on Sirius, the music I love, the news reminds me daily why we upped and moved everyone and everything we owned.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

vegasrockstar will become famous soon enoughvegasrockstar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Great post Paul, I live in Nfld and listen to radio 1 on Sirius, the music I love, the news reminds me daily why we upped and moved everyone and everything we owned.
Hear hear!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you guys are right. I dream of living somewhere where people are relatively sensible. I got my passport requests yesterday, so in my heart I'm already there now.

I've always hated the attitudes in the UK, and this has been one of the main drivers for me leaving. The snobbery (although I went to a public school myself, I still hate it). The city, which results in a massive distortion of wealth distribution. The aggression in the South East. The tabloids. The patronising, condescending, money grabbing, self-serving politicians that only represent themselves and their paymasters. The yobs. Tall poppy syndrome.

I know there will be things I find irritating about Canada, but hearing what you have to say is really reassurring, and confirms what I felt having visited a few times.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:20 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
Well said! It isn't about money is it? Somehow I think that becomes obvious once you're here but people who haven't made the move yet can't seem to forget about the money and focus on the new life.

I've seen a couple of people move back to the UK this year and I personally think it was partly financially motivated. They probably exchanged at 2.30 when they moved to Canada and in addition have escaped the fall in house prices in the UK whilst here and figured they could buy their old house back without the huge mortgage they had before. They're both regretting it now.

Since I'm back in the UK at the moment the reasons why we left are all so obvious again. You only have to read the newspaper to remind yourself. A lot of it does have to do with the government. First there's the cervical cancer vaccination drug. They chose the cheapest one didn't they? All the other countries chose the more expensive drug. I wonder why that was? Was it just because the other countries wanted to waste tax payers money? I doubt it - there must have been a medical reason. The UK government ignored that reason and chose the cheapest which tells you what it thinks of its citizens.

Then there's the article about the two police officers who job-shared and decided to look after each others kids during their time off. What a fantastic idea! - I know that this is something that would have been commended in Canada and probably turned into a national program. But in the UK they were told they couldn't do it by Ofsted! What!? What has Ofstead got to do with a private arrangement between two mothers? And then if you read the rest of the article you discover that it was their neighbor that reported them to Ofsted. What!? Why would a neighbor do that? Thats something that would only happen in the UK.

Then there's the article about the mother in the UK who committed suicide with her disabled child because they couldn't tolerate being bullied by the local gang of youths. They had called the police 33 times and they didn't do anything. Nor did anyone else for that matter. Eventually she was pushed to the limit by the yobs.

Compare and contrast that story with the story of the the creation of Pink Shirt Day in Nova Scotia - a story that touched me and makes me extremely proud to live where I do. A couple of years ago a kid in a high school was bullied because he wore a pink shirt. Two other kids (and they were just regular kids not tough guys) decided to do something about it. They went to the dollar store and bought 50 pink tank-tops. They handed them out on the way into school in the morning and encouraged all the boys to wear them. When the bullies turned up at school they were faced with 50 kids wearing pink shirts and the bullying stopped from that day on. The kids who started it were interviewed on national TV and their idea has turned into a national campaign to stop bullying.

I don't care what anyone says, the UK and Canada are so unbelievably different and it has nothing to do with economics or house prices or exchange rates. At the end of the day it boils down to where you want to live and spend the one life that you have.
What a great post.........
Totally agree with what you are saying, i know when my cards was on the table the other day i knew which ones i was picking, i miss my family/friends in the uk, but i have such amazing friends and a fantastic network here now that i couldnt give that up either
Life is good and it keeps getting better

LB
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:23 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
What a great post.........
Totally agree with what you are saying, i know when my cards was on the table the other day i knew which ones i was picking, i miss my family/friends in the uk, but i have such amazing friends and a fantastic network here now that i couldnt give that up either
Life is good and it keeps getting better

LB
So nice to hear that after all your adversities. Keep smiling and enjoy life to the full. Best wishes for the future.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:56 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

....Yes you do. You're an "Immigration Consultant" touting for business by cherry-picking tabloid headlines. Exchange rate can't be helping business at the moment eh?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

$1.706, less than 1 cent away from multiyear lows.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheBear
$1.706, less than 1 cent away from multiyear lows.
Wow, where will it all end? Now at 1.6889 - we're all doomed....doomed I tell ya...
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luckyone
Wow, where will it all end? Now at 1.6889 -
Sterling crisis...that's where all labour governments end. Then the Tories will spend a decade fixing the economy, and Labour will get in and do it all over again. :curse:

Now at the lowest for several years...glad I changed a load of my money when I did.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:35 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Great post and reminds me some of the biggest drivers for moving were nothing to do with finances
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
A few posters have joked in this thread about heading back to the UK if the exchange rate hits 1.50. I am curious if anyone would seriously consider this.

The current combination of buoyant Canadian house prices, price falls in the UK and the exchange rate is very favourable, especially if you came over with a lump sum pre 2007 when the exchange rate was 2.40+. Anyone tempted?
2.40+ pre 2007!!! I wish it had been, that would have been an extra $21000 for us. We moved here in February 2006 and I think we got 2.05 when we moved everything over. I wasn't impressed but what can you do. I am kinda glad we don't have any money left in the UK. It has to be a big decision for people close to moving over.

It's ironic though that now would be a great time to visit family back home but we don't have the money spare to go at the moment, and my parents just put some money in our UK account for us to get Christmas presents for the children and ourselves and every day it is worth less!!!

I don't regret moving at all, but i think the exchange rate is one of those things that is going annoy me slightly, as we are always on the wrong side of it. I can almost guarantee when we plan to go to the UK it will be up around 2.40!!!!!!

Maybe I should take the exchange rate tracker off my windows sidebar.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:49 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Maybe I should take the exchange rate tracker off my windows sidebar.
Nah. Just suck it up. There is nothing you can do about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.