Exchange rate

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Exchange rate

rates down to 2.01 today, i thought the rate would have be heading towards 2.10 to the £ with the canadian bank interest rate cut today! anyone else any thoughts on this it was 2.06 just after 12.00 GMT! nightmare
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

we expected 50bp cut today and be done with it. What they did was 25bp now and warn of more in the future. This gave CAD$ a boost, that decision was made at 2pm. Let me tell you from experience that rate decisions are also often leaked prior to announcement. The emergency cut in US rates August 07 i was warned about 3 hrs before.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

just got 2.05 with hsbc and from today the transfer is instant to canadian account you no longer have to wait 3 days
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

I got $2.05 too! this morning but only bought $4000 as was thinking the rate might continue to rise throughout the week suppose it's wait an see again! yes i noticed the transfer was instant! great stuff!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

You were both very lucky! It's 2.007 just now.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:23 pm
APC
Just Joined

APC is an unknown quantity at this point

Its back up to 2.05 now - speculators seem to have shifted to the fx market from oil.

I've been tracking this since last year and its totally random - make's no sense sometimes and the volatility is huge. I am also very bad at theoretically predicting when to buy as i get it wrong nearly every time.

You just got to be lucky when you need to xchange and thats it........ few weeks ago it was at 1.89 so 2.05 looks fab now

good luck all
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

I'm certainly not a financial expert (in fact the exact opposite if you look at the decisions that I've made over the last 10 years) but the drop in value of the Canadian dollar has sort of tracked the oil price. I'm pretty sure that OPEC are meeting on Friday to agree to cut production to try to force the oil price back up. Chavez wants to keep the price around the $85 -90 level to keep Venezuela solvent.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Pound slumps on the US$, where next?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

losttraveller is an unknown quantity at this point

just got a quote from hifx. its $2.025 now.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well i was thinking this morning that anything above $2 is a bonus! i bought more yesterday at $2.04 it blipped for about 3 mins was lucky i logged on at the right time!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Down over three cents today.

I moved 2000 pounds over at 2.044..... giving me 4088 dollars.

So, it's 1.944 now.... say I get roughly that from the bank later, and swap it back to the UK, I will get 2,102 back.... a 102 pound profit in just over a week!

Then, if it goes back up next week, to say 2.05, 2102 will become 4,309.... etc. etc.

Should I be a currency trader??
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was looking at doing the same can make £725 quid by transferring back across but the rate might not come back up above $2 so depends on how quick you need the cash!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:39 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee

So, it's 1.944 now.... say I get roughly that from the bank later, and swap it back to the UK, I will get 2,102 back.... a 102 pound profit in just over a week!

Then, if it goes back up next week, to say 2.05, 2102 will become 4,309.... etc. etc.

LOL

Thats quite a swing though isnt it? 2.05 down to 1.94 in a few days. I dare say it represents a missed window of opportunity for those that had been holing out for 2.06!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

benjy25 will become famous soon enoughbenjy25 will become famous soon enough

Who did you use and how much commission did they charge you? I am using HIFX but I am not certain the rates are great.

Thanks

Originally Posted by geedee

Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by benjy25
Who did you use and how much commission did they charge you? I am using HIFX but I am not certain the rates are great.

Thanks
I used to use Custom House.... they don't charge commission and give a fantastic rate.

After a tip-off on here, I discovered that you can link HSBC accounts (I have one in UK and one here) on the internet. The rate wasn't quite as good as CH, but it is so convenient! When I did mine it said it could take 2 days (I didn't check) but someone has said they have now made it instant.

That's why it might be worth a bit of a gamble swapping money back and forth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.