British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Exchange rate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/exchange-rate-442788/)

geedee Sep 15th 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Exchange rate

There's a rumour that the US may cut rates to 1%!!! That would normally not help the USD.... but what's normal about the times we live in today!:ohmy:

geedee Sep 15th 2008 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Southcote (Post 6786324)
I had to change up money today for our house purchase. I got 1.9028 from Moneycorp. I asked them about short to medium term rates, and they were predicting a decline to mid 1.80s. Not sure how accurate this will prove to be, as they usually sit on the fence when asked to give predictions

Well, with all due respect.... I think we're all seeing quite clearly how "expert" the finance boys are! Worth every penny of their 7 figure bonuses, don't you think?:lol::lol::lol:

dazzlerdaz Sep 15th 2008 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 6786390)
7 figure bonuses

$0,000,000 thats what they should get :thumbsup:

geedee Sep 17th 2008 7:22 pm

Goodness..... up 4 cents today!

dazzlerdaz Sep 17th 2008 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 6793828)
Goodness..... up 4 cents today!

Just a bit more and i`m gonna change some of mine :thumbup:

AndyBCbound Sep 17th 2008 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz (Post 6793858)
Just a bit more and i`m gonna change some of mine :thumbup:

now you've done it it's gonna drop :rofl::rofl::rofl:

dazzlerdaz Sep 17th 2008 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound (Post 6793873)
now you've done it it's gonna drop :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're probably right :lol::lol:

AndyBCbound Sep 17th 2008 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz (Post 6793925)
You're probably right :lol::lol:

Well it finished the day at 1.9477 Whayhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup ::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup ::thumbsup::thumbsup::

geedee Sep 17th 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound (Post 6794248)
Well it finished the day at 1.9477 Whayhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup ::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup ::thumbsup::thumbsup::

Everything is relative!!

I changed some around lunch time (for my welcome tax, long overdue, couldn't muster the 'begging cap' to the bank for a line of credit!), and 'lost' a couple of hundred by not toughing it out until the end of the day,:(

IckleHelen Sep 17th 2008 10:47 pm

Why did it go up today?

G77 Sep 18th 2008 1:11 am

It went up today because I changed $15k yesterday - called Sod's Law...

geedee Sep 18th 2008 2:54 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 6794809)
It went up today because I changed $15k yesterday - called Sod's Law...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shouldn't laugh really..... does anyone ever win changing money? Cneldred, are you receiving, over?

AndyBCbound Sep 18th 2008 9:14 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 6794975)
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shouldn't laugh really..... does anyone ever win changing money? Cneldred, are you receiving, over?

YEP, the people changing it for you:frown:Every time!!

cneldred Sep 18th 2008 10:30 am

Sorry as you can imagine it has been mental this week.

There was a co-ordinated liquidity operation by all the major central banks this morning, this appears far from over.

This isn't because interest rates are too high, this is because banks refuse to lend money to each, there is no trust left. There are also verious stories of huge 'bear attacks' on stocks of the banks, basically they are accusing groups of shorting the hell out of stocks, spreading negative stories about those banks, causing the shareprice to collapse, making it impossible for the banks to raise further funds. Therefore the various central banks are stepping up to provide funding for everyone, how deep are their pockets, who knows??

Long term effects, the US government is going to have to print more and more money (M3) to fund these bail outs and that is very negative is the long term. Has anyone noticed none of the Canadian banks have been caught up in this so far?? If that continues then CAD$ will benefit massively.

mclauchlan35 Sep 18th 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by cneldred (Post 6795803)
Sorry as you can imagine it has been mental this week.

There was a co-ordinated liquidity operation by all the major central banks this morning, this appears far from over.

This isn't because interest rates are too high, this is because banks refuse to lend money to each, there is no trust left. There are also verious stories of huge 'bear attacks' on stocks of the banks, basically they are accusing groups of shorting the hell out of stocks, spreading negative stories about those banks, causing the shareprice to collapse, making it impossible for the banks to raise further funds. Therefore the various central banks are stepping up to provide funding for everyone, how deep are their pockets, who knows??

Long term effects, the US government is going to have to print more and more money (M3) to fund these bail outs and that is very negative is the long term. Has anyone noticed none of the Canadian banks have been caught up in this so far?? If that continues then CAD$ will benefit massively.

Won't the CAD being to strong hurt the economy?