Exchange rate

Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:56 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Exchange rate

$1.61 to the £1 - highest it's been for a while.

Hmmmm....

M.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think I got really lucky on the exchange rate because the $ plummeted against the £ at the start of the Gulf War in 2003 so I transferred a fair bit over at $2.50 and the rest at $2.37.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:50 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Steve_
I think I got really lucky on the exchange rate because the $ plummeted against the £ at the start of the Gulf War in 2003 so I transferred a fair bit over at $2.50 and the rest at $2.37.
...not that your bragging
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

Oh fortunate one, (or fortunate Bastard)...may your next one be a hedgehog....
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well all these things have their plusses and minuses. I bought my car for $37,000 and it's the basic model and then around the start of 2009 I saw the top-of-the-line turbo-charged model with every bell and whistle on it on sale in Great Falls brand new for $23,000.

When the Canadian dollar wasn't worth much you couldn't buy much with it.

Basically I came to the conclusion most Canadians are bad at math, because people didn't seem to realize how much higher prices where here until the Canadian dollar reached parity with US dollar, than everyone started to moan even though previously US companies seemed to be charging way over their US prices here.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

cyclopes is an unknown quantity at this point

What are the expectations with the likely interest rate increase tomorrow? I can't figure out if it is likely to work in favour of GBPCAD or against?

As I mentioned previously, I'm looking at shifting some funds over from the UK in the next couple of weeks.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Wow, can't believe this thread is still going.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:49 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Any real short-term predictions for this week/forthnight? Getting ready to bring over some cash that I'd originaly failed to do at $1.80. Booo.

Now decided just to bring some and get using it, can get $1.63175 right now, do I pull the trigger or will this week bring a continued upswing? $1.7 anytime "soon"?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

markets are very very quiet. Talk this morning of further aid needed from the Fed, in the form of them buying bonds.

We are really at a crossroads, are things improving or are we going back into recession. Number of comments from Fed in last 48 hrs referring to fact the Great Depression lasted 13 years, sounds like they are preparing us for something.

Not expecting any wild swings either way at the moment, however i think the trend for CAD$ versus GBP will now be an improvement for GBP.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:02 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at the charts, there's support at 1.55, but we've probably got support higher at 1.62. hopefully as it has pushed through this previous ceiling and will remain above it. The GBP/USD has also done well pushing clear past 1.55.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
markets are very very quiet. Talk this morning of further aid needed from the Fed, in the form of them buying bonds.

We are really at a crossroads, are things improving or are we going back into recession. Number of comments from Fed in last 48 hrs referring to fact the Great Depression lasted 13 years, sounds like they are preparing us for something.

Not expecting any wild swings either way at the moment, however i think the trend for CAD$ versus GBP will now be an improvement for GBP.
There was a piece in the wall st journal about how everyone is now suddenly expecting deflation.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...editorsPicks_2

Should have happened in 2001, but didn't. Should have happened in 2008, but didn't. It's not going to happen now either whilst there are helicopters that can fly. More printing is likely, which I guess is good for cable and in turn gpb/cad. Though really, who's paper is going to devalue the most over the medium to long term is anyone's guess.

(I stand by my prediction of gbp/cad at 1.75 in the autumn for no other reason than it *feels* about right)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
There was a piece in the wall st journal about how everyone is now suddenly expecting deflation.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...editorsPicks_2

Should have happened in 2001, but didn't. Should have happened in 2008, but didn't. It's not going to happen now either whilst there are helicopters that can fly. More printing is likely, which I guess is good for cable and in turn gpb/cad. Though really, who's paper is going to devalue the most over the medium to long term is anyone's guess.

(I stand by my prediction gbp/cad at 1.75 in autumn for no other reason than it *feels* about right)
I expect the gbp to continue to improve.

Recent economic data in the UK has been better than expected and the realiance of the Canadian economy on the US will start to affect it's dollar versus other currencies in the world.

This combined with all my other points in previous posts I believe will see 1.75near late autumn/winter too.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:46 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
(I stand by my prediction of gbp/cad at 1.75 in the autumn for no other reason than it *feels* about right)
I agree. The markets like what the current govt. is doing in the UK 'a bit'. They're still shaky, but aware that everywhere else is too. It fits in with a retraction, which will occur after a price movement in one direction, the big one (down) we've all been moaning about!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

the industry term is a retracement....look for key retracement levels at 33%, 50% and 66% of the move.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:49 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cneldred
Wow, can't believe this thread is still going.
Good to see you back Chris not seen you on here in a long long time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.