Exchange rate

Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Exchange rate

What are people's views on the US CDN dollar exchange rate? Was the 1 : 1 the exception and so the rates are returning to normal, or will they fall again do you think? My assets are in US dollars, and the exchange rate is going in the right direction for me right now, but I wonder about the best time to move them.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Nobody knows for sure but i cannot see the US $ getting much more stronger than it is against the CD! you ve got to take what your happy with and depends on other factors such as how quickly you need to transfer across ect!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
Nobody knows for sure but i cannot see the US $ getting much more stronger than it is against the CD! you ve got to take what your happy with and depends on other factors such as how quickly you need to transfer across ect!
Wasn't that many years ago it was down to 60c
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
One way to keep the prices down would be to disband OPEC, only then will we see the real prices of oil based on simple supply and demand.
Only way to disband OPEC is for OPEC to disband themselves, ain't gonna happen. They love the group power they have.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 12:22 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by screene
I bought CAD at end October and got 2.0112. The bank rate on the HiFX website was 2.03 (can't remember whether that was bid or ask). At the time I asked about buying ahead for 1 March 09 and was offered 1.9980, and 1.9879 for 1 June 09. There were no other charges for these transactions, you just get the slightly lower rate. I don't know what the penalty is if you subsequently back out. I didn't buy at the time because I wanted to get better than the $2 on which I based my calculations... hindsight eh?

Hope that helps.
If you KNOW when you are going to get the money then you can do a forward trade (these aren't options and so are legally binding). What they will do for you is lock in the current SPOT rate + an interest rate differential.

Canadian interest rates were lower than UK ones you get a lower rate in the future (i.e. you get a better return having GBP rather than CAD in the bank).

As UK interest rates are now lower than Canadian ones - a forward rate should actually be higher than the current SPOT rate. This is true right now on my terminal anyway (GBPCAD1M/2M/3M points are all just about positive - tho the spreads are large)

Alan
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
Only way to disband OPEC is for OPEC to disband themselves, ain't gonna happen. They love the group power they have.
Weird, innit? Cartels are banned in Europe... you often see industries fined for "price fixing". Which is exactly what OPEC do and nobody bats an eyelid!

There's rules for them, and rules for us.....
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

As OPEC is international who would do the banning?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Twiddling my thumbs again in a hotel, looked a bit into the history of the GBP/CAD pair. In 1976 it dipped to 1.61 and by 1980 it hit 2.90. It has gone up an down like a yo yo this past 30 years, so for those holding GBP there is hope yet if you're not in a rush. Trouble is it is a crap shoot for those willing to take the risk.

Some people take more of a risk than others.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/soros.asp
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooka
What are people's views on the US CDN dollar exchange rate? Was the 1 : 1 the exception and so the rates are returning to normal, or will they fall again do you think?
If commodities start booming again then the exchange rate is likely to head back towards 1:1; that's what pushed it up there before. Or if people figure out that the US government can't afford all its bailouts then the US dollar might start to fall.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

scousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura about

The £ has just fallen off the perch!

1.90 to 1.855 in about 45 mins!

Was it the chancellors speech?

Last edited by scousemartin; Nov 24th 2008 at 3:57 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scousemartin

Probably more to do with Oil jumping $2 a barrel...everything in the speech was well flagged.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:20 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooka
As OPEC is international who would do the banning?
The countries in which the members are based. It is all irrelevant though, the tax revenues from oil means no government is ever going to intervene. They are simply too powerful and influential.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scousemartin

Yes, Labour just flooded the market with new debt....also everyone now saying that Bank of England have to cut another 100bp (1%) very soon. All makes UK a less desirable place to invest.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

The £ is getting stronger just about to break $1.90 again!!!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by scottymallo
The £ is getting stronger just about to break $1.90 again!!!
1.8677 today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.