Exchange rate

Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Down to about $1.81 as of 0700Z

This'll give live rates http://www.forexdirectory.net/cad.html
Jeeezus!!!!!

On that basis, my salary just fell by $550 a month.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes - FX trading spreads are actually very tight and FX traders do not take positions unless they have good reason (i.e. they are net 0 at the end of the trading day).

While long term trends can be predicted based on interest rate differentials; national debt and relative trade balances - the day to day rates can be highly volatile (as keynes said "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent"). Essentially if you are long in anything other the the currency you will be using on a day-to-day basis you are taking a big risk with your cash.

In the case of CAD - this has been undervalued against USD for the last month and that is correcting itself. Anyone who got over $2 has done well
Alan, believe me i know all about the markets and the spreads. I am a futures trader and have been for 13 years. I actually trade direct to the exchanges and therefore am making markets in there. I trade bond, stir, fx, commodity and index futures in Europe, UK and US.

Chris
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

scousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Jeeezus!!!!!

On that basis, my salary just fell by $550 a month.
Yes but everything you are buying just got cheaper as well!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scousemartin
Yes but everything you are buying just got cheaper as well!
How'd you figure that one?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

scousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura about

Well your CAD salary in GBP goes down if the FX rate changes.
But you CAD shopping in GBP also goes down.

The only time your really exposed to FX changes is when you arec transfering money between CAD and GBP.

I hope to sell my house and move to Canada in the New year. 1c change in FX makes a big difference to the amount of CAD I'll get. The falling pound and falling UK house prices could make a move financially impossible. I'm hoping for $2+ by the time we transfer our money. Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
How'd you figure that one?
I wish I could.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scousemartin

The only time your really exposed to FX changes is when you arec transfering money between CAD and GBP.
Er, Souv is paid in GBP and lives in Canada so it matters! (Correct me if I'm wrong, Souv.)

Last edited by G586; Nov 5th 2008 at 3:05 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by G586
Er, Souv is paid in GBP and lived in Canada so it matters! (Correct me if I'm wrong, Souv.)
You are correct. On an annualised basis, the exchange rate movement over the last few days has cost me about $7k. I am bringing in less now that I did several years ago, despite pay rises.

To make matters worse, most of my cash is in the UK. I will very soon have to bring lots over to pay my December tax bill. That is going to hurt.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G586
Er, Souv is paid in GBP and lived in Canada so it matters! (Correct me if I'm wrong, Souv.)
Really! Then yes FX really does matter.
I assumed Souv was converting his CAD salary in to pounds for comparision sake only.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 3:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
Alan, believe me i know all about the markets and the spreads. I am a futures trader and have been for 13 years. I actually trade direct to the exchanges and therefore am making markets in there. I trade bond, stir, fx, commodity and index futures in Europe, UK and US.

Chris
I was agreeing with you - not teaching you to suck eggs . I'm not a trader but I work with FX traders in the OTC and Futures markets.

FX trading is a risky business and exposure to exchange risk is not a good thing. I know enough about it to know that I wouldn't gamble my money on it - you might think you know where it's going, but the volatility will bite you on the arse eventually.

Then again, maybe it's just my nervous disposition - right now it's bad enough having to worry about counterparty risk (i.e. which banks aren't going to go bust taking your cash with them).

Alan

Edit: To clarify that's a general "you" in the above; not specifically aimed at anyone in particular

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 5th 2008 at 4:03 pm. Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Alan, agree entirely in 13 yrs of trading never seen anything like this. Graft your arse off for weeks nicking a bit everyday then 1 frigging mistake in one nasty move ends up costing you everything you made in the last 8 weeks. One moment the markets will be tight as a knats chuff, then everything will blow out with extreme volatility on the back of absolutely nothing. It is unreadable.

I know so many guys getting taken to the cleaners at the moment. And leverage has disappeared, even in the transparent futures market where the clearing house takes away the counterparty risk. I am now being offered 2-1 leverage on my money, whereas at the start of the year i could get 20-1.

Who do you work for?

Chris
Old Nov 5th 2008, 10:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
Alan, agree entirely in 13 yrs of trading never
Who do you work for?
Chris
I'd rather not say - not cos it's some big secret, or i'll get sacked or anything - I just don't want to be identifiable on a web forum. I adopted this policy a couple of years ago (subsequent to creating my account here). In fact this is the only forum that I use my real name on.

Cheers
Alan
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Bank of England cut rates by:

1.5% WOW

How will this affect the exchange rate do yo all think....
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:16 pm
Nova Scotia

aid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really niceaid1970 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Bank of England cut rates by:

1.5% WOW

How will this affect the exchange rate do yo all think....
OMG
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ThemeOne is an unknown quantity at this point

The base rate cut seems to have made no difference as yet.

I guess I'm one of a long queue waiting for a return to £1=$2 or thereabouts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.