Exchange rate

Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Exchange rate

I for one doubt that. Canadian economy isn't immune, but the UK one is well and truely in the toilet. All my funds have been in Euros for the last 12 months or so and i see no reason to change that yet.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
I for one doubt that. Canadian economy isn't immune, but the UK one is well and truely in the toilet. All my funds have been in Euros for the last 12 months or so and i see no reason to change that yet.
When the USD was above 2 to the pound, I thought long and hard about converting. Could've made at least 8% in a couple of months.... but didn't!

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Euro. The EU could quite easily unravel, especially after this Georgia nonsense. And the Germans aint doing too well either, and that is the backbone of the Euro.

With the Cold War returning, I think I'll invest in tinned food, personal firearms and ammunition!!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Things are very dire with the exchange rate at the moment, but remember one important thing. Most traders be it banks or self employed will not return to their desks properly until after the Labor Day holiday.
What date do they return from the Labour day holiday
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Labour day is this coming Monday. Next Thursday and Friday will see traders back for the start of September data.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:57 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
I think you're forgetting who's "in charge" of the UK at the moment! A self-serving slimy bunch of spin merchants who have their own interests way ahead of the Country's.
And thats different to the last 29 years how?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Comments from a very dovish (favours lower interest rates) member of the MPC yesterday. Forget which one it was but was along the lines of we need to cut (and large cut), starting right now. Said pretty much screw inflation we are heading straight into the biggest recession in decades and we are well behind the curve. Also comments from Alistair Darling UK is braced for the biggest slowdown in 60 years. Both those comments are very very negative for sterling, lower rates in UK reflects a less favourable investment for position traders and therefore a sell versus currencies which are holding rates steady or increasing rates.

All trading desks in the financial markets should be back in by next Wednesday.

Chris
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
And thats different to the last 29 years how?
29.... no, go on, what's the significance?

Anyway, back on topic, seems the 2.05 lifeboat has been missed!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

we ar pooing our pants, we cant send our money over until end of sept, so here hoping that it dont go too low :curse:
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
we ar pooing our pants, we cant send our money over until end of sept, so here hoping that it dont go too low :curse:
Lets comment again in a week or two once the traders are back!!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

so with the traders off, doe sthe exchange rate stay on hold then
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

We close on our house n 25th September, so need to get some money out here by then. I think we're going to take out a line of credit over here to hedge our bets somewhat and hope that the rates improve over time.

Just seen that Abbey International are offering 7% on fixed term (3 months) deposits. Has anyone seen anything better than this ?
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

When the USD was above 2 to the pound, I thought long and hard about converting. Could've made at least 8% in a couple of months.... but didn't!
I'm an idiot for not porting all our CDN savings into USD when it was 1.10 to the CAD a few months back. Would have made 15% already with barely a few clicks of the mouse.

Sigh. I KNEW that wasn't a sustainable exchange rate. Oh, hindsight.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:51 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southcote
We close on our house n 25th September, so need to get some money out here by then. I think we're going to take out a line of credit over here to hedge our bets somewhat and hope that the rates improve over time.

Just seen that Abbey International are offering 7% on fixed term (3 months) deposits. Has anyone seen anything better than this ?
Once you become a tax resident in Canada, that is taxed at your marginal rate.
So you don't get to keep it all.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

so with the traders off, doe sthe exchange rate stay on hold then
NO but the markets are very illiquid due to a lack of traders willing to make prices, and therefore you tend to get a lot of wild price moves during the summer months and the xmas break.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:04 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

NO but the markets are very illiquid due to a lack of traders willing to make prices, and therefore you tend to get a lot of wild price moves during the summer months and the xmas break.
Well done Darling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.