Exchange rate

Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:54 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by MarkG
No Internet banking on that account and I can't see them being too happy about transferring 20,000+ pounds out of it with a phone call (given I've had to take photo ID into the branch with me to do that before in the UK).
i agree with you Mark, from my experience most UK banks won't do it, have you spoken to your bank? They may be able to find a way around that. HSBC will enable you to easily transfer funds through them as they have branches in the UK and Canada, but you will get their exchange rate.

Regards Steve
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

WOOHOOO It got there
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauder99
WOOHOOO It got there
Lets hope it stays there...or better still keeps going in that direction.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Lets hope it stays there...or better still keeps going in that direction.
I'm not looking, honest I'm not I'm really not D'oh Its a terrible thing getting excited about 2.00 when it was 2.30 odd a year ago but hey ho could have been 1.90

Tom
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:31 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Is there any company I can send a cheque to from Canada, drawn on my UK bank account, and then have them transfer that to me here? The few I've looked at want direct bank transfers, which are obviously difficult to do from the other side of the Atlantic.
Why not just deposit a UK cheque into a Canadian bank account? Banks have been known to negotiate rates when told what an FX broker has quoted and match it.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Why not just deposit a UK cheque into a Canadian bank account? Banks have been known to negotiate rates when told what an FX broker has quoted and match it.
I have just asked the very same of my intended bank (CIBC) when we arrive, here's what they said:
You can deposit a UK cheque into your canadian account but it can be held up to 30 days because it takes that long for your banking institution to get back to us and to clear the cheque. The other option would be to set up a Telephone/ Fax Agreement with your banking institution in the UK so you can request a Wire Transfer to your bank account here, there is most likely a charge on the UK end and CIBC will charge $10.00 CAD to accept the international transfer, but this would cut the transaction time down considerably.

BTW anyone know where to get the best deal right now for £2000 to buy CAD? BEST RATE I CAN SEE IS $1.95
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

based on my panic yesterday Halo spot rate is 3 cents off the interbank which is 2.014 right now not sure if that is amount dependant though, we were shifting a big chunk.

Cheers
Tom
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lauder99
based on my panic yesterday Halo spot rate is 3 cents off the interbank which is 2.014 right now not sure if that is amount dependant though, we were shifting a big chunk.

Cheers
Tom
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:27 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keefrto
I have just asked the very same of my intended bank (CIBC) when we arrive, here's what they said:
You can deposit a UK cheque into your canadian account but it can be held up to 30 days because it takes that long for your banking institution to get back to us and to clear the cheque. The other option would be to set up a Telephone/ Fax Agreement with your banking institution in the UK so you can request a Wire Transfer to your bank account here, there is most likely a charge on the UK end and CIBC will charge $10.00 CAD to accept the international transfer, but this would cut the transaction time down considerably.

BTW anyone know where to get the best deal right now for £2000 to buy CAD? BEST RATE I CAN SEE IS $1.95
Royal Bank were 1.9796 this morning. Could also try Custom House currency exchange. Some banks will hold funds, depends on how long you have been with them and your standing with the institution.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

The situation just got a whole lot worse, it looks as if a big US bank (Bear Sterns) have gone tits up. Markets have been carnage today. 2 blokes from my old office in the UK got wiped out as a result. This is terrible news for the US, as a result i don't see the US$ improving for a considerable time. Therefore if CAD$ continues following we shouldn't see those sub 1.97 levels again for some time.

Chris
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
The situation just got a whole lot worse, it looks as if a big US bank (Bear Sterns) have gone tits up. Markets have been carnage today. 2 blokes from my old office in the UK got wiped out as a result. This is terrible news for the US, as a result i don't see the US$ improving for a considerable time. Therefore if CAD$ continues following we shouldn't see those sub 1.97 levels again for some time.

Chris
Chris, so why do you think it started dropping (below 2) after lunch???
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

someone pressed the wrong button....basically this huge bank have just come out and said they won't exist on Monday. US$ getting murdered against Euro and £. I guess the CAD$ stopped following it for a while.

Chris
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Royal Bank were 1.9796 this morning. Could also try Custom House currency exchange. Some banks will hold funds, depends on how long you have been with them and your standing with the institution.
tried contacting them this morning and still no response
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
someone pressed the wrong button....basically this huge bank have just come out and said they won't exist on Monday. US$ getting murdered against Euro and £. I guess the CAD$ stopped following it for a while.

Chris
Is BS really going bust? Or has the Fed managed to rescue it?

I ask as I have lots of a UK bank share and have been pretty calm as it halved in value....but this may be the straw......
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

They was a conference call this afternoon when they(BS themselves) said they probably won't exist on Monday. JP Morgan are keen to rescue them. The Fed lent them collateral via JP Morgan to tide them over today. There is an announcement of their results after market on Monday. They Fed are probably delighted this happened on a Friday at least they have the weekend to sort something out.

After this Citibank revised their calls on Fed Rate decision due Tuesday, they are now calling for rates to be cut by a full 1% (100 bp).

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.