Exchange rate

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Exchange rate

PS where are you in Edinburgh?? My grandparents live in South Queensferry having previously lived in the Meadowbank area.
It really is a small world. I'm in Craigentinny which is about 5 minutes from Meadowbank I can see the stadium lights from where I am sitting. South Queensferry is nice. I learned to sail at the marina there, Port Edgar.

I'm reading Paul Krugmans "Accidental Theorist" and have just finished "The Undercover Economist" by Tim Harford to try and get my head around how this all works. I'm absolutely fascinated by the fact that a system that affects huge parts of all of ours lives has no-one really in charge.

Cheers
Tom
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
We just went to the BMO tonight to change over our GB pounds from last week and we were offered $1.85 to the pound!! We said "no thank you - we'll wait a little longer"!! When we first came out in 2003, the exchange rate was $2.25 and then in 2005 it was $1.98
The wife paid some money into our RBC branch here yesterday and got 1.93 and change. 1.85 is just filth.

Chris
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Conversely, I am quite pleased about the exchange rate right now, I'm thinking of changing some CDN$ savings into GBP. I do feel bad for people exchanging the other way, probably makes emigrating to Canada seem less appealing.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:06 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

BOE base rate reduced as expected. I guess we will see if it has any effect on the rate.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Doesn't look like its even registered on the Loonie at all. I think its more important what BOC choose to do in the wake of all the cuts elsewhere.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

having spoken to some of the currency exchange bods today they still see it going down below 1.95 so not good news for people like me who need to exchange at some point soon. They have said that it may settle at about 1.98 in the medium term but again it has a lot to do with oil prices or so they say:curse:
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:06 pm
Banned

ipevo is an unknown quantity at this point

You could always secure an exchange rate now - most of the larger firms like HiFX etc allow you to secure a favorable rate in advance which can soften the blow somewhat. At the end of the day it's all about timing

Last edited by Sue; Feb 27th 2008 at 7:35 pm. Reason: Affiliate link removed
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ipevo
. At the end of the day it's all about timing
I think it's all about having the 10% as a deposit too. Don't the FX houses want a downpayment on the forward contracts? This was always a problem for us as virtually every penny was tied up in the house ....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I am paid in US dollars and it just has been a nightmare, I am just happy when it gets above 1. To think it was $1.30 in 2004
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Danny, the rate was 99% guarenteed to be cut 25bp today...the market will be paying attention to minutes rather than meeting for the foreseeable...looking for clues.

Chris
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to get anyones hopes up, and the likes of Cneldred obviously know much more about finance than I.... but, on a forum I visit there is a lot of talk about commodities (gold, oil etc.) plunging in price as the global slow down gets established.... lack of demand etc. This will hurt commodity based currencies, which I have been told includes the CAD.

I don't have a clue if they're right or wrong, but I'm crossing my fingers, and other bits, in the hope that they are right!!

We've found a house we love and are about 10 cents to the pound away from affording it!!!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:11 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cneldred
Danny, the rate was 99% guarenteed to be cut 25bp today...the market will be paying attention to minutes rather than meeting for the foreseeable...looking for clues.

Chris
I would have imagined it would have been already factored in, although there is talks of another cut around May/June.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Exchange rate

Oh no! It's now below $1.95!!!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

and now below C$1.94
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauder99
and now below C$1.94
Just changed £200 at post office for spending money tomorrow, get this....... $1.84

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.