Exchange rate

Old Jun 7th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Don't buy a house here as an investment. Buy something you want to live in and can afford.
I agree entirely. It's very tempting to go for the 5-bed palace with pool, garden, etc. but think again. Do you really need all that space - just because you've never had it before?

It's worth buying at a comfortable level and finding what's right for you, rather than sinking all your funds into bricks & mortar (or wood and plastic). After all, there will be property taxes, appliances, car, etc. to fund too!

Just a thought.

Simon
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:36 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

OMG, the rate is down to $2:08.6, down nearly 2 cents today
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nivlad
OMG, the rate is down to $2:08.6, down nearly 2 cents today

Damn that is low
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:46 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Danny B

Damn that is low
it is amazing how quickly it has dropped recently
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know what the root cause is? The pound seems to be tanking against everything!

I think we'll skip the house buying plans and just rent until we see how things pan out.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

The global financial markets have just gone thro 48 from hell. Stock markets have started to correct from their massively overbrought levels...Bond Futures are collapsing (meaning interest rates are expected to rise).

Basically, the world has just woken up to the fact that interest rates globally are not gonna come down anytime soon. In fact looks they may raise further. Something called the 'carry trade' were money was borrowed from places like Japan at very low rates and invested in global stock markets, has been in place for a number of years, everyone now appears to be unwinding this at a very quick rate.

The jist i think it goes lower...i expect sub 2.00 in the not too distant future, i am currently pulling my hair out looking at the amount of money this is going to cost me on moving my funds over.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old Jun 8th 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chris.... it helps, but why isn't it affecting Ganada too? I think I'll keep my savings in the UK. I'm not changing them at that rate. Houses that appeared like good value for money in February (2.35) now don't seem anything like. And Canada doesn't appear to be suffering the same house price drops as their neighbours, although I have seen a few big reductions.

What a bummer!:curse:
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why is Canada not affected? Canada is!! The economy there is really strong at the moment. They have to raise because of the economy, everyone else is raising because inflation worries. When inflation worries cease then US, Uk, Europe can begin to bring rates to neutral, whilst Canada is raising to slow the economy, that should take a lot longer to reverse.

UK can't go too much higher without a housing crash, something Labour would put as much pressure to stop as possible with a general election in the not too distant future.

Chris
Old Jun 8th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I see. Aren't they worried about a house price crash in Canada too? Houses there seem to be very expensive in some parts, particularly when you take into account average wages.

The bottom line is.... I don't have as many dollars as I once did
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

snap just been done out of that 4x4 in the last 3 weeks
Old Jun 10th 2007, 12:06 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
The global financial markets have just gone thro 48 from hell. Stock markets have started to correct from their massively overbrought levels...Bond Futures are collapsing (meaning interest rates are expected to rise).

Basically, the world has just woken up to the fact that interest rates globally are not gonna come down anytime soon. In fact looks they may raise further. Something called the 'carry trade' were money was borrowed from places like Japan at very low rates and invested in global stock markets, has been in place for a number of years, everyone now appears to be unwinding this at a very quick rate.

The jist i think it goes lower...i expect sub 2.00 in the not too distant future, i am currently pulling my hair out looking at the amount of money this is going to cost me on moving my funds over.

Hope that helps

Chris
i appreciate you are not a fortune teller, but not too distant future?, what do you think best guess, 3-6mths or shorter, and if this is the case would it be feasible to reverse the situation in the same timescale?
i recall the rates when i first went in march '06 at 2.04, then when went again in june last year, 2.16/17, then of course the rises we saw over christmas to the situation we have now, could history repeat itself in this timescale? is it a seasonal thing as well? cheers rae
Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I expect below 2.00 before the end of the summer, ie September. Just in time for us to move over and get the worst possible rate.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

I expect below 2.00 before the end of the summer, ie September. Just in time for us to move over and get the worst possible rate.

Hope that helps

Chris
You are becoming Jesus of the money changers (with all that entails).
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope that helps

Chris
September is when we're supposed to be landing too. I'm planning all my moving budget with an exchange rate of $1.90, then I can be (almost) sure what I'm going to have for the move, any more cash will then be a bonus. Of course in October something wil happen in the markets and the rate will go up to $2.50, but that's life, as we say.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve very sensible. At least then you can't be disappointed.

One thing that could turn this around would be a surprise rate hike from the Bank of England, but onthe otherhand that might make selling houses a little harder.

As i said a while ago we will just bite the bullet and change up as soon as the house sale money its our bank account. I don't want the wife telling me i told you so for the next 10 years.

All the best

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.