Exchange rate

Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:00 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exchange rate

Damn it's down to $2.25 now almost 10c less than what it was in Feb.
They reckon interest rates will almost certainly be going up next month to stop inflation rising any more.

It is so frustrating watching the rate going down while you are weeks away from selling your house to convert to dollars...
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:04 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchange rate

In exactly the same boat!!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

It was (very briefly) at $2.70 earlier this year!!!!!!!!!

Are you exchanging it with someone like Moneycorp or HiFX? I beleive they both have services where you give them a range of rates you want (i.e. $2.4 - $2.7) and as soon as it hits that amount you're guarenteed that rate if you pay up a percentage of the transfer amount (10% for Moneycorp)!

Good deal if your money is in limbo for a bit!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:21 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny B
Damn it's down to $2.25 now almost 10c less than what it was in Feb.
They reckon interest rates will almost certainly be going up next month to stop inflation rising any more.

It is so frustrating watching the rate going down while you are weeks away from selling your house to convert to dollars...
Count yourself lucky you weren't doing it in 2005/06. In 2005 the rate dropped from 2.40 to 2.00 between Summer and Christmas. It stayed below 2.10 for most of 2006.

2.25 is roughly where it should be most of the time. I grumble if it goes below and rub my hands when it goes above.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

It's up in the high 2.26's today and I expect it'll be back up toward 2.3 in a couple of weeks as the next UK rate decision approaches (now that there's real worry it might be a half-pointer).

I won't have my hands on my home sale loot until probably August so I'm just a spectator at the moment (although I do have some I can shift earlier if needs be... am holding out for that big 5 x millionaire June Premium Bond win though... ho ho)

Cheers, Iain
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:53 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Count yourself lucky you weren't doing it in 2005/06. In 2005 the rate dropped from 2.40 to 2.00 between Summer and Christmas. It stayed below 2.10 for most of 2006.

2.25 is roughly where it should be most of the time. I grumble if it goes below and rub my hands when it goes above.
Too true - when we moved over in August last year the rate we got was only 2.09 - and that was a good rate from a currency exchange company.

Thankfully we left some money in the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:46 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
It was (very briefly) at $2.70 earlier this year!!!!!!!!!
Are you sure about that? I've been keeping an eye on it for a while now and never seen it go above $2.35 in 2007.

What I'd do for it to rise to $2.70 on my completion date
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
OH works in banking and he's with Iain Mc on this one.
Rate likely to rise again in the next few weeks. We're due to transfer our cash shortly, so I've got everything crossed that he's right!
Do sympathise with those who moved 12 months ago - when we were over in April 2006 it was a very different story.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

it has not traded CAD$2.70 this year at all. Check your sources. I trade for a Hedge Fund and the highest we have iseen it n the last 15-18 months is mid 2.30's.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
In exactly the same boat!!
And me
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

hi this article in the bbc today backs up the above comments

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6562723.stm

expected rises from .25 to .5% are on the cards with more to follow
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Rate likely to rise again in the next few weeks. We're due to transfer our cash shortly, so I've got everything crossed that he's right!
Ditto !!

I tranferred £20,000 this week - only got 2.22 on spot rate - and have the rest sitting in a pot holding out for a slightly better rate.

Did see it hit 2.36 for one afternoon a couple of months ago - oh, if I'd had liquid assets on that day ....
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:03 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cneldred
it has not traded CAD$2.70 this year at all. Check your sources. I trade for a Hedge Fund and the highest we have iseen it n the last 15-18 months is mid 2.30's.
According to the Bank of Canada, the highest it has been in the last decade (monthly average) is 2.61. That was in 1998.

The average since Jan 1997 is 2.29.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 8:54 am
Tea Drinker

It's on 2.25999 at the moment.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cneldred
I received the email from a friend who's a trader - I don't think it was there for very long. In fact I think his email said it hit it for a minute! He may have been wrong I suppose!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.