British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Exchange rate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/exchange-rate-396256/)

weener Sep 13th 2006 9:39 am

Exchange rate

I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but does anyone know if the Uk/CDN Dollar will rise back upto around 2.3 like we have seen inprevious years.

I know theres alot involved but somepeople on here are well informed.

Thanks

Almost Canadian Sep 13th 2006 12:23 pm

Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by weener
I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but does anyone know if the Uk/CDN Dollar will rise back upto around 2.3 like we have seen inprevious years.

I know theres alot involved but somepeople on here are well informed.

Thanks

I'm sure it will one day - when that will be is anyone's guess ;) :D

Stuarty Sep 13th 2006 4:01 pm

HIFX analysts predict little upward movement at the mo due to the uk having rising inflation and Canada putting up their interest rates recently. Apparently Canada reviews its rates again in October so we might get lucky especially with the drop in Oil prices. Who knows what will happen if President Blair gets the boot.
Stuarty

Lees147 Sep 13th 2006 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stuarty
HIFX analysts predict little upward movement at the mo due to the uk having rising inflation and Canada putting up their interest rates recently. Apparently Canada reviews its rates again in October so we might get lucky especially with the drop in Oil prices. Who knows what will happen if President Blair gets the boot.
Stuarty

Erm...president. lol

Tidge Sep 13th 2006 6:04 pm

Look on the bright side, the rate is a lot better than it was! The general trend is up, although I don't think we'll see $2.30 for a long time, if ever.

MarkG Sep 13th 2006 8:18 pm

Well, inflation is going up and up in the UK, so I'd expect at least one more interest rate rise here this year and probably more next year: depends on how successful Gordon Brown is at fiddling the figures.

Also, the commodities bubble looks a bit wobbly now, so that would probably hit Canada if prices start to decline.

cneldred Sep 13th 2006 8:29 pm

As a Fund Manager, my opinion is that £/CAD will move higher. Currency rates are affected greatly by future interest rate projections. And since UK inflation is still overshooting, there is still a strong probablity that Bank of England will hike again. Whilst the weakness, in both the oil prices and US housing market will lead to the easing of rates in both the USA and Canada, thus £ becomes more attractive to overseas investors due to greater interest rates. So in summary, yes very strong possibility that 2.20-2.40 range will be seen again in medium term, 6-18 months.

Stuarty Sep 13th 2006 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by cneldred
As a Fund Manager, my opinion is that £/CAD will move higher. Currency rates are affected greatly by future interest rate projections. And since UK inflation is still overshooting, there is still a strong probablity that Bank of England will hike again. Whilst the weakness, in both the oil prices and US housing market will lead to the easing of rates in both the USA and Canada, thus £ becomes more attractive to overseas investors due to greater interest rates. So in summary, yes very strong possibility that 2.20-2.40 range will be seen again in medium term, 6-18 months.

If it happens I will buy you a big one :D :beer: :beer:

Daedra Sep 13th 2006 10:56 pm

Hard to predict two countries financials but I thought I would pop this website on here, it's a free online conversion website to convert currencies at up to date rates... you can also back date your conversions should you so please :)

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic