Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Excessive passport inspection at YYZ?

Wikiposts

Excessive passport inspection at YYZ?

Old Sep 5th 2014, 4:08 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excessive passport inspection at YYZ?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Have there been any major incidents anywhere in the world on any of the anniversaries of September 11, 2001?
Nope, looks like the high security at this time is working good
Old Sep 5th 2014, 4:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Nope, looks like the high security at this time is working good
Shades of the old joke about anti-elephant powder.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:06 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Yup
No elephants in Ajax
A few in the zoo tho at the end of meadowvale in Scarborough
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:09 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

occasionally there's an elephant in the plane though
BBC News - The elephant that flew
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:42 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
occasionally there's an elephant in the plane though
BBC News - The elephant that flew
It makes a change from snakes I suppose.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect this will be normal on the run up to Nine 11.
I think it was more about it being a quiet time in the airport and they had to keep themselves looking busy, when in fact all they did was give the impression that there are far too many CBSA agents. I am not aware of any increase in the level of threat to Toronto.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Dahab
I am not aware of any increase in the level of threat to Toronto.
Thats good news, i take it that u are head of a security firm yeh, phew so it was just coz they was a bit bored.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good news, i take it that u are head of a security firm yeh, phew so it was just coz they was a bit bored.
No need for sarcasm. I based that statement on the fact that the UK was recently quiet public in raising it's security level so I assumed that other countries would be the same. The public are generally more sympathetic to these extra measures when kept informed. One of the officers asked me a question, half way through me answering him he waved me on without getting the full answer, so I can only conclude that he was bored or I bored him. It's more likely I bored him as my answer went into a lot of unnecessary detail.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As I have been told many many times by the public I pay your salary.
So going by that statement alone the more times I check your passport means you are getting value for money as opposed to me only checking it once or is there some flaw in my logic? There again one could argue that the more times you have your passport checked especially by the same group of people wearing the same uniform then either the ability to do a cursory check of a passport is severely flawed and we need more training or we are like other unionized workers who stand around all day doing nothing or part of the 6 person team thats required to dig a hole.
This conundrum will surely be causing me sleepless nights over the next few months and I might need to seek professional help in dealing with this sensitive situation.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So going by that statement alone the more times I check your passport means you are getting value for money as opposed to me only checking it once or is there some flaw in my logic? There again one could argue that the more times you have your passport checked especially by the same group of people wearing the same uniform then either the ability to do a cursory check of a passport is severely flawed and we need more training or we are like other unionized workers who stand around all day doing nothing or part of the 6 person team thats required to dig a hole.
This conundrum will surely be causing me sleepless nights over the next few months and I might need to seek professional help in dealing with this sensitive situation.
I have a lot sympathy for the job you do I really do. I just think it's hard sometimes for Joe public to understand why these extra checks happen, when to us passengers it seem excessive.

Please don't lose any sleep over your conundrum it will give you awful bags under you eyes darling, not a look anyone would want or choose.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Or if there are several people doing the same thing then they are all incompetent and they should just hire one who can do it right?
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:11 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jack1
Canadian's don't seem to care about complaining about these sorts of things, what a waste of time and money. There are officials checking and rechecking the same documents several times from the time you get out off the plane and get out of the airport.

There's also the ridiculously low customs thresholds ($60 per visitor to Canada?) but that is a different matter.

Furthermore, some of the personnel checking the passports and documents sitting at the desks are wearing what appears to be bullet proof vests. Has anyone else noticed this? The only people who will pass through their counter is people who have just got off a PLANE. What would that protection be for?

You come to the UK and the officials are efficient and fast. If the UK can do it when they are far more likely to be attacked or have 'bad people' try to get in then Canada should be able to do it, but of course, it's inefficient bumbling Canadians who are in charge. This is the city and country were the police decided to remove small trees during the G20 in case they were used as a weapon.

Why bother trying to improve anything though at the airport or at their terrible companies (Air Canada, Rogers, Bell etc.) when the government will implement laws to just block out the competition for you. It's sad that the Canadian public don't realize it's them that is suffering from this type of behaviour.
The last time I passed through YVR (Vancouver) on a return journey over a year ago I got questioned by CBSA officers clad in bullet proof vests after I scanned my passport at the machine. Back in the 90s the customs agents wore blue shirts and the immigration officers wore white shirts with blue cardigans - much less intimidating.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
The last time I passed through YVR (Vancouver) on a return journey over a year ago I got questioned by CBSA officers clad in bullet proof vests after I scanned my passport at the machine. Back in the 90s the customs agents wore blue shirts and the immigration officers wore white shirts with blue cardigans - much less intimidating.
?
And what happened between the 90s and now? Specifically on 11/9/2001? Although even when you think about it, people coming OFF the plane have already been inspected and should be alright so even then it is questioned... But it is the paranoia that that particular incident created, which was perpetuated and greatly exaggerated (still is to this day) by the americans, and Canada being their neighbour, we have somewhat adopted this paranoia as well. FWIW European border officers are a lot less intimidating to me than Canadian or especially US ones.

BUT, i'd rather everything be "over-secure" than under-secure.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

sometimes they inspect passports at YYZ just as one exists the plane. In this case, the officers would be waiting just outside of the plane. This is just a general look at the main passport page, nothing more. Now that it's mentioned in this thread, I am also surprised having remembered the bullet prove vests of some agents for passengers who just stepped of a plane. Just wondering, which airport would allow passengers to carry a gun for air travel? especially after Sept. 11th this would be rather rare, if not totally impossible.

As a Canadian citizen, I then go through the electronic entry, then print of a piece of paper and see an agent. Sometimes there are questions, but in general there are few questions.

Never had any real issues, but also wondered what is the real point of expecting a passport several times. It's not more secure, not for anybody. It's still the same document. If the passport is scanned in, fraud is easily detected these days. Maybe one agent doesn't trust the work of the other one?

Back when I was an immigrant I went back to Europe three times, for always one week around Christmas, once returning in Calgary. Calgary is the only time when they actually stamped my passport and noted "RR", possibly for returning resident? In YYZ they never stamped my passport.

Last edited by Cabbagetown; Sep 7th 2014 at 4:38 am.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
sometimes they inspect passports at YYZ just as one exists the plane. In this case, the officers would be waiting just outside of the plane. This is just a general look at the main passport page, nothing more. Now that it's mentioned in this thread, I am also surprised having remembered the bullet prove vests of some agents for passengers who just stepped of a plane. Just wondering, which airport would allow passengers to carry a gun for air travel? especially after Sept. 11th this would be rather rare, if not totally impossible.

As a Canadian citizen, I then go through the electronic entry, then print of a piece of paper and see an agent. Sometimes there are questions, but in general there are few questions.

Never had any real issues, but also wondered what is the real point of expecting a passport several times. It's not more secure, not for anybody. It's still the same document. If the passport is scanned in, fraud is easily detected these days. Maybe one agent doesn't trust the work of the other one?

Back when I was an immigrant I went back to Europe three times, for always one week around Christmas, once returning in Calgary. Calgary is the only time when they actually stamped my passport and noted "RR", possibly for returning resident? In YYZ they never stamped my passport.
Interesting. The bloody electronic gates at YYZ can't read my writing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.