Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ex-Military making the move?

Ex-Military making the move?

Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ex-Military making the move?

thanks!
a leetle light bed-time reading...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

petesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nice

Here is the reply I got from the Canadian tax man about Residence and Tax, am copying it word for word so if it makes no sense, then its not just me.

Dear Sir,
Canada's tax system is based on residency. Residency status is determined by relevant factors in each particular case. When an individual leaves Canada, residency status is based on purpose and permanence of that individuals stay outside Canada, residential ties within canada, residential ties elsewhere and the length and regularity of visits to Canada. Some guidance can be found in two of Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA's) documents, specifically form NR73 "Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada) an the Interpretation Bulletin IT-221R3 "Determination of an Individual's Residence". The forms can be used to request a determination of residency, however the determination of one's status is predominately a self-assessing process. While it is not mandatory to submit this form (unless the individual is requested to do so by the CRA) it contains a useful listing of information that our department considers relevant to non-residency. These documents are available from our website address mentioned in the last paragraph of this letter.

Generally, an individual's ties outside canada are comparable to ties retained in Canada. These include a permanent residence, household effects, social, economic and religious ties, bank accounts, canadian credit cards, Canadian passports, etc. Other than a spouse, common-law partner and /or dependents, family members are not considered ties to a country.

Your inquiry regarding your residency status is speculative in nature and as a result, even if you did complete form NR73 before leaving Canada, we would not be able to provide you with our opinion as to what your status would be, as we base our opinions on actual facts that have occurred.

If you have any questions concerning this letter, you may contact the Client Services Division of the International Tax Services Office by telephone at 1-800-267-5177 or from abroad at 613-952-3741, collect calls accepted. You may also contact us by fax at (613) 941-9776.You can also write to us at the following address:

International Tax services office
Client services Division
2204 Walkley Road
Ottawa, ON K1A 1A8
Canada

Web site www.cra.gc.ca

Hope this does'nt muddy the waters too much
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Well now I know, well I think I do, em can you explain
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:14 am
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dinger24
Well now I know, well I think I do, em can you explain
I'd say that that just backs up what a previous poster said; where are your family ties, where is your 'home', etc etc.

Bailing out for a couple of weeks while gratuity is paid and then rejoining the 'family home' in Canada would be a tad too risky for me!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

I [I]think[I] that article 18 gives you the loophole you are looking for, as you aren't a 'national' of Canada even if you are resident... (ie have landed and own property etc)

I'm assuming even if you have landed/ have property/bank account etc you are not a 'national' until you have been granted citizenship?

Soooooo, payment for government services by the UK govt would not be taxable in Canada...

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

think

but most of my thoughts are fairly irrelevant to what the tax authorities think, obviously...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiem
think

but most of my thoughts are fairly irrelevant to what the tax authorities think, obviously...

This is how I read Article 18:

Article 18
Government Services

(a) Remuneration, other than a pension, paid by a Contracting State or a political subdivision or a local authority thereof to any individual in respect of services rendered to that State or subdivision or local authority thereof shall be taxable only in that State.

Remuneration, other than a pension, paid by the UK government to any individual in respect of services rendered to the UK shall be taxable only in the UK.

In other words, so as long as you are a serving member of the British armed forces you only pay tax to HMRC, regardless of where you are stationed.

Unfortunately, this does not apply to pensions as Article 17 says that pensions are taxed in the country where the person is resident.

(b) However, such remuneration shall be taxable only in the other Contracting State if the services are rendered in that State and the recipient is a resident of that State who:

(i) is a national of that State; or

(ii) did not become a resident of that State solely for the purpose of performing the services.

(b) However, such remuneration shall be taxable only in Canada if the services are rendered in Canada and the recipient is a resident of Canada who:

(i) is Canadian or

(ii) was already a Canadian resident.

In other words, if a Canadian resident is hired by the UK government in Canada they have to pay Canadian taxes.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcustandy
Bailing out for a couple of weeks while gratuity is paid and then rejoining the 'family home' in Canada would be a tad too risky for me!
That won't work I am afraid. Once you are resident in Canada for tax purposes it is hard work to lose that status.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:51 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If you are in the British armed forces you are a tax resident of the UK regardless. If you receive your gratuity while you are still serving then all well and good.

However, when tax residency is in question one of the most persuasive factors the tax people look at is where does your family live. If your family have already set up a home in Canada where you can go to live it is very likely you will be treated as a Canadian tax resident from the day you are discharged.

I strongly recommend you get some advice from a good Canadian tax accountant.
Hows about this one for a fast ball, my wife and kids live in Canada but still being in the Forces, I am tax resident in UK. I leave the Forces, but instead of settling in Canada straight away I get a job in the UK, So I am employed in the UK, paying UK taxes still, I then recieve my Gratuity and the day after I pack in my UK life and ship over to Canada.

Would that work or am I clutching at straws???

Cheers now

Bob
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK, so now it appears that my 'police checks from around the world' weren't quite good enough and they want 'military police certificates' for both of us as well...
How do we do that then? Just contact the nearest RMP? Is it different for different services? (both blue and green here...)
...and more importantly - how long does it take?! Med requests are here, too....
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_REME
Good thread! Let's get as much as we can on here to help those following. I've been through the process last year, although I didn't do any resettlement training in Canada, I did get my recce/CF recruitment tests/house hunting trip classed as a CWA and thus got return travel cost to/from Gatwick, hotel and meals claim whilst in Canada.
As the old saying goes.........'if in doubt, ask!'

I'm going down the same road as ex_REME and I'd like to canvass the BE member's opinions on which of the following 3 areas they would choose from the choices below. We are a family with 4 children aged 18, 16, 13 and 10 and I would be working in a military base at one of these places.

A preferred order, i.e 3-1-2 with some form of explanation (the good/bad etc) would be really appreciated.

The choices are:

1. Cold Lake
2. Wainwright
3. Barrie

Many thanks
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:14 pm
Banned

normanstrongbow is an unknown quantity at this point

With your kids in mind. I would suggest Barrie.
It is a reasonably large community with a commuter rail service to Toronto.

The other 2 locations are remote small communities.

My Canadian son-in-law is a construction engineer at CFB Edmonton.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:18 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by normanstrongbow
With your kids in mind. I would suggest Barrie.
It is a reasonably large community with a commuter rail service to Toronto.

The other 2 locations are remote small communities.

My Canadian son-in-law is a construction engineer at CFB Edmonton.

Barrie, Wainwright, Cold Lake.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:35 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiem
OK, so now it appears that my 'police checks from around the world' weren't quite good enough and they want 'military police certificates' for both of us as well...
How do we do that then? Just contact the nearest RMP? Is it different for different services? (both blue and green here...)
...and more importantly - how long does it take?! Med requests are here, too....
Hi Debbie,

Can't remember, are you Army, RAF or Navy?

We are Navy and got our military police checks done and have a contact name and address. Maybe she would also know who the contact point would be for the other services.

Kaz
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Army and RAF, just to be different

I've just found the tri-service desk that deals with it at the Service Police Crime Bureau in Portsmouth though, through a convoluted route... so probably the same place!

Thanks!

D x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.