Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ex-Military making the move?

Ex-Military making the move?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ex-Military making the move?

Originally Posted by petesdragon
If I do resettlement courses in Canada, do I have to declare that I am here for study when I come over for the course? or just say that I am on holiday if asked?
There are special rules regarding overseas resettlement you need to get up to date advice from your resettlement consultant / IERO. Paperwork and justification letter needs to with SDE HQ absolute minimum of 8 weeks notice...that is with THEM and NOT the date you submit your application as it could sit with your IERO for God knows how long.

Also if you do not go through the proper channels and do it off your own back if anything goes tits you could be in serious sh*t. Saying that if you just go on a holiday and do a course then I'm not sure how that works i.e. with the Forces and with Canadian Immigration as it might affect your entrance visa???? You need to check that one.

On another note unless it is all approved by your IERO and SDE HQ you also will not be able to make any claims for IRTC / Travel (to & from port of departure) / Subsistance / IE or anything else your entitled to. If you use your ELCAS grant then it needs to be with an approved ELCAS provider and at level 3 or above which are few and far between in Canada unless you want to do Skiing instructor. Again submit paperwork very early once you know what your doing as you need to get it approved obviously and be in reciept of the ELCAS Claim Authorisation Note (CAN) to take with you. DO NOT pay any money to a training provider until you have the CAN as it could be rejected therefore possibly losing any deposit or money you have paid.

After all that it is not impossible many have done it and it just needs to be properly planned.

See below from JSP534

Hope this Helps

Overseas

For SL wishing to undertake their resettlement training, CWA or IRP overseas, no travel is authorised without appropriate clearance from the respective SDE HQ staff (see paragraphs 0319 to 0323, 0325 to 0328 and 0330). SDE HQ Staff must be given a minimum of 8 weeks advance notice for the appropriate clearances to be obtained. SRAs are to advise the SL and their units accordingly and obtain a fully completed MOD Form 363 or MOD Form 363T, as appropriate, completed MOD Form 1746, PRP and robust written justification, which the SRA should forward to the SDE HQ Staff27 28. SDE HQ Staff should be careful to ensure that the exact nature of the SL’s duties is described in the application. Before approving such applications, SDE HQ Staff need to consider whether the immediate requirements of the activity, or the likelihood that secondary circumstances, beyond the immediate requirements of the activity (eg death, serious injury or court appearances) might affect an individual’s ability to subsequently fulfil their Service commitments or might bring the Service into disrepute. Activities where confrontation may take place or the use of physical force is likely should be avoided. Where SDE HQ staffs consider that a request for overseas resettlement training, CWA or IRP is justified, authorisation on the relevant document (MOD Form 363 or MOD Form 363T) should only be given at an appropriate level of command (normally OF4). Authorisation is not to be delegated below OF3 level (see paragraphs 0321 and 0327).

Additionally, security clearance is required for those countries where special security regulations apply. Security clearance must be sought by units, at least 8 weeks in advance, on behalf of the SL, through single Service security organisations. Units are to notify the British Defence Adviser/Attaché of the country in which the proposed resettlement training or CWA is to be held, giving dates, contact address and details of the individual concerned once political approval has been confirmed by SDE HQ Staff and security clearance has been confirmed by single Service Directorates of Security.

Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep I concur!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

bielbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had a request for police certificates for Germany & Hong Kong.

Was informd by a visa officer during a seminar at the emigrate show last year that service personell did not have to produce certificates for overseas tours

Any ideas?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

No you have to produce certificates when on a posting overseas. If however you are on operational tour you come under the RMP. You should get an RMP certificate to cover operational tour and your time in the Army as for Honkers you will need to write to them. I have a couple of addresses and will look them up unless someone else has them at hand.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bielbs
Just had a request for police certificates for Germany & Hong Kong.

Was informd by a visa officer during a seminar at the emigrate show last year that service personell did not have to produce certificates for overseas tours

Any ideas?
We got our PR in November, and no we didn't have to get police checks for the numerous places he was, I would suggest writing to them, explaining that you have been told there is no need by a visa officer (ideally stating their name). You may have a human who is processing your case that has made one of those errors that we all make at times Or you may have a totally anal git, who knows........

Definitely worth asking about though and challenging!

Mrs M x
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

petesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nice

Thanks davie mac
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dinger24
No you have to produce certificates when on a posting overseas. If however you are on operational tour you come under the RMP. You should get an RMP certificate to cover operational tour and your time in the Army as for Honkers you will need to write to them. I have a couple of addresses and will look them up unless someone else has them at hand.
I did not have to produce for Germany / Cyprus or Canada. Originally I was told that all I needed was ACPO, then they requested that I send Mil Police check. Whenever posted to Germany RMP have primary jurisdiction over Forces, other countries differ slightly.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

It is only what I have heard and reading on here it sounds as if I may have been miss informed! However I will still proceed and get them as I wouldnt want to get everything done to find that I have to get an up to date one from Hong Kong which might take a bit of time!
Unless someone can give reassurance that this is not a requirement!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone on here know how to find out about transferring to the CAF from the RAF? Someone on here kindly sent me the link to the CAF but they just replied saying to enquire at immigration but they haven't replied.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry I had to spend 5 mins working out CAF so not much help, have you googled it? Or Ask.com?
Do you know in RAF at BATUS? or is it just AAC? If RAF they might be able to do you a favour and just ask the Canadian Army in camp for a link etc?
I am afraid thats all I can think of
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
It is only what I have heard and reading on here it sounds as if I may have been miss informed! However I will still proceed and get them as I wouldnt want to get everything done to find that I have to get an up to date one from Hong Kong which might take a bit of time!
Unless someone can give reassurance that this is not a requirement!
we did need them from all tours over 6 months? I would play safe if I were you and get them all ,so much depends on your particular visa officer I suppose

anyone know if being forces delays things at CHC ? ie do background checks take considerably longer???
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chumley
we did need them from all tours over 6 months? I would play safe if I were you and get them all ,so much depends on your particular visa officer I suppose

anyone know if being forces delays things at CHC ? ie do background checks take considerably longer???
Would like to think our security checks were easier, however, from other timelines it seems that after asking for my Mil Police Cert and RPRF back in Nov last year its taking quite a while. Has it been known for them to request extra info more than once, or do they check your app and request all add info in one go.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:59 am
Just Joined

ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by riosangel
Does anyone on here know how to find out about transferring to the CAF from the RAF? Someone on here kindly sent me the link to the CAF but they just replied saying to enquire at immigration but they haven't replied.
Hi riosangel

No such thing as a direct transfer but if they want you they will let you join the CF (not called CAF, Just CF Air Force), see:
"Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country."
Go to http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/h...tab=1&subTab=0

Fill in the application, fire it off to CFRG and if they think you have skills they need, they will offer you a job. You then need to get through the immigration process, probably as a skilled worker, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/index.asp.

Come on over and join the happy gang (well the pongos like me are happy) 21+ years in REME, now reg force EME Branch.

Rob
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by leecyndisanders
from other timelines it seems that after asking for my Mil Police Cert and RPRF back in Nov last year its taking quite a while.
I know you while have tried this but you need to pressure these people to act on things or it will just sit in someones in tray, remember that the person on the other side has no personal interest in your application so you need to give them some motivation !
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

riosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the roughriosangel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ex_REME
Hi riosangel

No such thing as a direct transfer but if they want you they will let you join the CF (not called CAF, Just CF Air Force), see:
"Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country."
Go to http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/h...tab=1&subTab=0

Fill in the application, fire it off to CFRG and if they think you have skills they need, they will offer you a job. You then need to get through the immigration process, probably as a skilled worker, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/immigrate/index.asp.

Come on over and join the happy gang (well the pongos like me are happy) 21+ years in REME, now reg force EME Branch.

Rob
Thanks for the link Rob, will definately be looking into that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.