Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Europe and the Med ?

Europe and the Med ?

Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice
Default Re: Europe and the Med ?

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's culture what you've lost, innit. Plays and music and fashion and newspapers and shit like that.

And castles!
NO! Our local theatre opens on the water side next spring and there are many others around. The music scene is fantastic here. The Stones in Moncton for example. Fashion I can buy all over including many designer labels. I have not found anything I cannot get or have given up. I love old buildings and especially the ones here. There are many old buildings in Halifax still standing even after the explosion.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
NO! Our local theatre opens on the water side next spring and there are many others around. The music scene is fantastic here. The Stones in Moncton for example. Fashion I can buy all over including many designer labels. I have not found anything I cannot get or have given up. I love old buildings and especially the ones here. There are many old buildings in Halifax still standing even after the explosion.
What about drugs, do you have easy access to hallucinogens?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:06 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Katie76
Do you miss Europe ?

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me posting this post, but to be honest I really want to try and get views on how you guys feel about having moved to Canada, though so far away from Europe ?

No doubt, it depends entirely on how much you love or have loved the Countries in Europe.
But, what i'm trying to ask is, do you miss the UK or Places in Europe as there are so many cultures/countries crammed into a fairly small space and those places that you can visit can be completely different from the other ? The history in Europe, I find amazing, and I feel it maybe one of those things i'll miss. Who knows ?

Canada no doubt is beautiful,.. landscapes, mountains, lakes etc.

We're looking to move next April time, only I find it hard to imagine how life can be without having so many different Countries around, so close together.

In all honesty,.. I love Europe (the history especially),.. I love Italy, the Med (greek islands), Switzerland, even London a very close home town. As said,.. it's the history, Castles, Art etc, I find quite amazing.

Realistically, we stuggle as a family to save for hol's around Europe, only it's comforting to know it's not so far away. We do usually manage 1 week in the Med with the kids each year though,.. which of course is more than many other people. (So, I'm far from ungrateful ). Those places are cherished !

Can I ask, have you found Canada to be much of a Culture shock ? If so, why ?

We're hoping to move to Greater Vancouver, BC. Not for work and more money as such, infact less than here in the UK ! ..Just for the difference And hoping that this move could be a better quality of life for ourselves aswell as our kiddies.
More laid back, (No rat race! Outdoor sports all around, beautiful scenery, lakes and swimming).

Though, one thing thats been on my mind for along time is ...

How do you feel that moving from such a historic country as UK/Europe to moving to a huge country as Canada? And where do you guys go on holiday?

It'll be good to know where you guys were originally from too, and do you think that's made a difference in your move/some maybe financially?

Thanks

x
To be honest I don't really miss much at all about Europe other than being able to nip across and stock up on cheap French wine.

You swap going to Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, etc for destinations like the Mexico, the Caribbean and various destinations in the States and of course other parts of Canada. I am now at an age where I like to be spoilt and have super clean toilets (where you can flush away the paper too!), fluffy towels and king size beds. Even before we lived here we would holiday in the States and if you asked me to choose between Florida and Spain there would be no contest. We have just returned from a four day trip to Las Vegas which is as far removed from Europe (although we did stay in Paris!) as you can get but that was booked the day before we left and for a really reasonable price. Great weather and fabulous facilities and shows, etc.

Then there is the ease at which we can get to these destinations, a quick drive to the airport and very rarely long queues. No drive around the M25 (in our case) and really hassle free. We regularly fly to Kelowna from Calgary and the airport thing really is so easy.

You will find that you will get lots of visitors too. When my girlfriends came over last year and wanted to visit Seattle for a couple of days - one said she really couldn't face another airport trip after Gatwick the week before but I persuaded her that flying from Kelowna to Seattle is nothing like experiencing Gatwick.

But I would say that if you really are a Europe lover then North America may not be for you. But it might grow on you!!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jancal
To be honest I don't really miss much at all about Europe other than being able to nip across and stock up on cheap French wine.

You swap going to Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, etc for destinations like the Mexico, the Caribbean and various destinations in the States and of course other parts of Canada. I am now at an age where I like to be spoilt and have super clean toilets (where you can flush away the paper too!), fluffy towels and king size beds. Even before we lived here we would holiday in the States and if you asked me to choose between Florida and Spain there would be no contest. We have just returned from a four day trip to Las Vegas which is as far removed from Europe (although we did stay in Paris!) as you can get but that was booked the day before we left and for a really reasonable price. Great weather and fabulous facilities and shows, etc.

Then there is the ease at which we can get to these destinations, a quick drive to the airport and very rarely long queues. No drive around the M25 (in our case) and really hassle free. We regularly fly to Kelowna from Calgary and the airport thing really is so easy.

You will find that you will get lots of visitors too. When my girlfriends came over last year and wanted to visit Seattle for a couple of days - one said she really couldn't face another airport trip after Gatwick the week before but I persuaded her that flying from Kelowna to Seattle is nothing like experiencing Gatwick.

But I would say that if you really are a Europe lover then North America may not be for you. But it might grow on you!!

Hi Jancal,

You must be huge lover of USA. Glad you enjoyed Las Vegas. Afew destinations in USA i'd like to visit is New York, Seattle, California/San Francisco. Mexico is also a country i'd love to visit aswell as the Caribbean.

It's interesting to read that your choice from Florida or Spain is Florida. For me it's the other way round, I have been to Florida for a two week stay. Florida, is no doubt a nice place to visit, the beaches were pretty cool, though as said before I truly think it's the art/culture, med atmosphere aswell as the small fishing villages and beaches etc i'd miss the most. I love Barcelona and i'd like to see other parts of Spain,..quiet and secluded coastal destinations (they do still exist, so I've been told and read lol )

Thanks for your post, I do think that by thinking about things in more depth over the last few days, I will truly miss Europe loads !! But, also you're so right, that Nrth America may grow on us too

Take care x
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76

You must be huge lover of USA. Glad you enjoyed Las Vegas. Afew destinations in USA i'd like to visit is New York, Seattle, California/San Francisco. Mexico is also a country i'd love to visit aswell as the Caribbean.
I have worked all over the US and tacked on as many vacation days to each trip as I dared. NYC is wonderful, the Pacific Coast Highway down through San Francisco to LA is one of the world's great drives. Seattle though? Seattle has quite a good fish market, not something one immediately thinks of flying to visit.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You swap going to Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, etc for destinations like the Mexico, the Caribbean and various destinations in the States and of course other parts of Canada. I am now at an age where I like to be spoilt....
Perhaps.
The only thing is, those European places can be done for a price ranging from dirt cheap (but still comfortable enough) to expensive.

The new alternatives are at the upper end of the price scale.

I used to take late deals, mainly Greece, for between £160 and £180 including flights, transfers and a decent apartment for two weeks. I generally used a nearby hotel for pool, comfy furniture, salad lunch and I had the freedom to eat wherever I wanted.

Mountain bike hire was a few quid and that would get you up and down the coast for secluded beaches if that's what you wanted, out of town tavernas with great views of the sea.....etc

Is the equivalent available on this side of the atlantic?

I too like luxuries, but I found I could still get many of them on this type of holiday.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

I have worked all over the US and tacked on as many vacation days to each trip as I dared. NYC is wonderful, the Pacific Coast Highway down through San Francisco to LA is one of the world's great drives. Seattle though? Seattle has quite a good fish market, not something one immediately thinks of flying to visit.
LOL, to be honest I know nothing about Seattle, I actually just put that one down because it's close to Vancouver, where we'll be staying.

Last edited by Katie76; Aug 28th 2008 at 10:54 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:28 am

Seattle. It's just that its a major city that we can drive to or fly to easily from Kelowna when we are there. Each time we have been its been great. Fantastic cheap restaurants with good service. Happy hours with oysters at $1 each and wine at $3 a glass and then shopping to die for. Each to their own I suppose but for us its a cheap and wothwhile trip. My husband and I go at least twice a year and he stocks up on clothes which are much more reasonably priced especially with the Can $ at the present time.

To my mind Europe is hard work but then I suppose I have been spoilt now.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

Seattle. It's just that its a major city that we can drive to or fly to easily from Kelowna when we are there. Each time we have been its been great. Fantastic cheap restaurants with good service. Happy hours with oysters at $1 each and wine at $3 a glass and then shopping to die for. Each to their own I suppose but for us its a cheap and wothwhile trip. My husband and I go at least twice a year and he stocks up on clothes which are much more reasonably priced especially with the Can $ at the present time.

To my mind Europe is hard work but then I suppose I have been spoilt now.
Ah. From here we have Montreal and New York.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Wow ! $3 a glass of wine, cheap restaurants and good clothes shopping sounds brill to me

I think we may well be making those trips too then
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:22 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you'd have to spend a lot on clothes, or not place much value on your time to make the slog to Seattle worthwhile. The round trip has got to be at least 6-10 hours depending where you're coming from.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz
I guess you'd have to spend a lot on clothes, or not place much value on your time to make the slog to Seattle worthwhile. The round trip has got to be at least 6-10 hours depending where you're coming from.
Well we have driven twice and the other times have flown on very cheap flights. Its the whole experience really and much more choice of shops and outlet stores. But then you're a guy and may not understand shopping!!?

But it really has a lot more to offer.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

From White Rock it is an hour and 45 minutes and in parts a very attractive drive. I don't "do" shopping so that has no interest to me, but Seattle is a great city to visit. The downtown has a more intimate feel than many North American cities, there are dozens of attractive parks, the international district, Seattle Center, many interesting and different neighborhoods, the aforementioned cheap booze and wonderful food, and the stunning, stunning views of Mount Rainier and the Olympic Mountains over Puget Sound.

Yeah, there is the Pike Street market as well.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
From White Rock it is an hour and 45 minutes and in parts a very attractive drive. I don't "do" shopping so that has no interest to me, but Seattle is a great city to visit. The downtown has a more intimate feel than many North American cities, there are dozens of attractive parks, the international district, Seattle Center, many interesting and different neighborhoods, the aforementioned cheap booze and wonderful food, and the stunning, stunning views of Mount Rainier and the Olympic Mountains over Puget Sound.
Wow - Sounds like a great place !
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:33 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Yeah, there is the Pike Street market as well.
Ahem. Google Maps says 1 hr 57 mins and assumes you sail straight through the border crossing. So I think you're being a little bit optimistic there. I think that Seattle's quite a nice city, but I can't see that it offers much that Vancouver doesn't apart from some big shops, a freeway, and probably better museums. And nicer architecture.

Having said that, the only North American cities that I've been to that I thought were with visiting in their own right are Montreal and San Francisco (I haven't been to New York yet and we've got a short stop in Portland in a couple of weeks).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.