Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Europe and the Med ?

Europe and the Med ?

Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of
Default Europe and the Med ?

Do you miss Europe ?

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me posting this post, but to be honest I really want to try and get views on how you guys feel about having moved to Canada, though so far away from Europe ?

No doubt, it depends entirely on how much you love or have loved the Countries in Europe.
But, what i'm trying to ask is, do you miss the UK or Places in Europe as there are so many cultures/countries crammed into a fairly small space and those places that you can visit can be completely different from the other ? The history in Europe, I find amazing, and I feel it maybe one of those things i'll miss. Who knows ?

Canada no doubt is beautiful,.. landscapes, mountains, lakes etc.

We're looking to move next April time, only I find it hard to imagine how life can be without having so many different Countries around, so close together.

In all honesty,.. I love Europe (the history especially),.. I love Italy, the Med (greek islands), Switzerland, even London a very close home town. As said,.. it's the history, Castles, Art etc, I find quite amazing.

Realistically, we stuggle as a family to save for hol's around Europe, only it's comforting to know it's not so far away. We do usually manage 1 week in the Med with the kids each year though,.. which of course is more than many other people. (So, I'm far from ungrateful ). Those places are cherished !

Can I ask, have you found Canada to be much of a Culture shock ? If so, why ?

We're hoping to move to Greater Vancouver, BC. Not for work and more money as such, infact less than here in the UK ! ..Just for the difference And hoping that this move could be a better quality of life for ourselves aswell as our kiddies.
More laid back, (No rat race! Outdoor sports all around, beautiful scenery, lakes and swimming).

Though, one thing thats been on my mind for along time is ...

How do you feel that moving from such a historic country as UK/Europe to moving to a huge country as Canada? And where do you guys go on holiday?

It'll be good to know where you guys were originally from too, and do you think that's made a difference in your move/some maybe financially?

Thanks

x

Last edited by Katie76; Aug 27th 2008 at 1:28 am.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:28 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe and the Med ?

If you love Europe, I think there's a good chance you'll miss it.

Migration isn't all beer and skittles.

Typically one doesn't get too much vacation in Canada. Much of that little vacation is spent visiting rellies overseas or touring around with them, to the same (admittedly beautiful) places, over and over and over again.

Then there are the scrambles to scrape together the money and the time off work when the inevitable deaths and funerals occur. And the guilt for having missed so much (one simply cannot afford to attend every wedding and christening one would like to attend and to spend as much time with frail parents as one would like to spend).

A lot of the outdoorsy stuff that people do in Canada costs money. The skis, the boats, the children's after-school sports activities and equipment (which are not provided at school) ....... None of that is cheap. However, you can stretch your dollars if you go camping instead of staying in hotels, if you buy secondhand sports equipment for your kids, and so on.

I come from Southern Africa. I've also lived in Canada, the USA and Australia. Every country in which I've lived has been new from the point of view of European settlement. None of these countries has buildings that are as old as those in Europe. I love the outdoor scenery and the wild spaces in these new countries, but I also love the history, architecture and art in Europe. I would really love to have easier access to Europe.

In my opinion, the original immigrants often make sacrifices and don't necessarily experience the full benefits of immigration. I believe it's the next generation that gets the benefits. If you think Canada offers a better future for your children, you may be willing to bite the bullet for their sakes.

Not everyone here will agree with me, because some forum members who themselves are orginal immigrants have done well, enjoy their destination countries, and so on. But I also have met a lot of immigrants in Canada who have experienced disappointments of various kinds.

Even some of our friends from former Soviet Block countries have returned to their countries of origin or, in their retirement years, are splitting their time between those countries and Canada (where they invariably have Canadian grandchildren).

Honestly, I don't know if anyone can help you with this decision. We could all share our opinions with you till we're blue in the face, and it still wouldn't provide an accurate prediction of how things would work out for you in Canada.

Nonetheless, I hope this has helped to some extent.

Edited to add that you may be puzzled by the note of disappointment in my post and the claim in my signature that I'm following my bliss. Well, I'm moving to Vancouver Island, and I've accepted that my cathedrals will be the giant old growth forests. I really do love them.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Aug 27th 2008 at 1:30 am.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quebec City is celebrating it's 400th anniversary this year. It has the oldest street in North America. So that dates back to ..... er....... 1608.

Sure, it's nothing like the UK and Europe, but it doesn't have quite the same vacuous USA city feel about it as some places over here.

And Europe is only 5 hours away on a plane......
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Awww wow Judy.

Thanks so much for your honest message. It's so nice to receive something so truthful.
And in all honesty, I too thought the same, that our kiddies will benefit the most from the move (this was my initial priority, but I also hope for my OH to have more of a relaxing time within his work).

I think that after your post, I do feel more confident in making that decision,.. rather than being so indecisive.

As you stated after your original post.. I wasn't puzzled, as said before I appreciate your honesty .

Cathedrals, artitecture and art are on my mind having taking the kids out on various trips in their summer school hols .

Vancouver Island looks beautiful and very pretty, I hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks Judy

x
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katie76
Awww wow Judy.

And in all honesty, I too thought the same, that our kiddies will benefit the most from the move (this was my initial priority, but I also hope for my OH to have more of a relaxing time within his work).

Cathedrals, artitecture and art are on my mind having taking the kids out on various trips in their summer school hols .
Why do you think that your children will benefit so much from moving to Canada?

I have grown up children but also two small ones from my second marriage and really feel as though I could show them so much more by living back in the UK and being close to Europe as was the case with my older children.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:57 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing I miss about England really. But I do miss my European hols.

Before I came here. twice a year I'd go to a Greek Island and have a lazy time broken up by cycling and a bit of sightseeing every few days. Then there were the city breaks....Nice, Paris, special trips to Moscow & Leningrad (as it was when I went) or tours in Switzerland and Austria taking in many European cities as well as the scenery.

The occasional Christmas Market trip was good too.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:10 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Why do you think that your children will benefit so much from moving to Canada?

I have grown up children but also two small ones from my second marriage and really feel as though I could show them so much more by living back in the UK and being close to Europe as was the case with my older children.
^^^^ What he said. Now that my kids have experienced trips to Europe, and one has lived there for the past year, they are pissed at me for taking them away.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

We've lived outwith Europe for most of the past 6 years (although we've only been in Canada for a couple of months). I miss Europe loads, I miss the culture, the people, the food (mostly the food!).We used to do lots of European city breaks. I feel though, that we've also gained a lot in being away; different cultures and ways of life, new people and perspectives etc. (now we go camping instead of going on city breaks!)

The thing is, we haven't 'emigrated', we just move around and I think we'll end up back in Europe one day (don't know where, don't know when...). In that sense it easier for me to enjoy what other places have to offer as I haven't had to dig deep and make a mental move, 'home' is still over there somewhere. I think I would find it difficult to have left for good.

The world continues to get smaller though, travel easier and cheaper, that's worth bearing in mind.

Good luck

MrsDV

PS had a couple of glasses of wine, apologies for spelling, grammatical errors or general non-sensical rambling.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
^^^^ What he said. Now that my kids have experienced trips to Europe, and one has lived there for the past year, they are pissed at me for taking them away.
We dealt with this by the kids going to Europe for the summer holidays each year and sometimes for Christmas. At first they went with their mother, when they were a bit older they went on their own (staying with relatives), I believe they were 14 and 12 when they first took the train unaccompanied between their grandparents in Switzerland and the ones in England. After high school one took a gap year and worked in Switzerland.

It's an expensive business to keep sending them back and forth and the lack of vacation in Canada means that the family can't see Europe together but I think it would be a great shame to limit their horizons to things North American.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:54 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

We never went to Europe when we lived in the UK, but we've done it many times since on our vacations back there. We did the visiting rellies bit, then booked a cheap and quick getaway (those deals are incredible) at the local travel agent. Avoiding at all costs places like Ibiza, Turkey, and (gasp) Benindorm - too many drunken brits, fish & chips and nightclubs! Not a lot of culture there. Loved Austria in the summer, not for skiing.

We never had a problem with vacations as we started off with 3 weeks each (years ago) which increased gradually, and if we needed, we took unpaid leave.

We don't do it anymore, we just go back to see family for a couple of weeks each year, plus we are now retired. There's much we have yet to see in Canada and the States, and our favourite vacation is now cruising and we prefer to do that.

So you will miss the accessibility and and cheap trips, but quite honestly you've already done it all and there's so much more to see on this side of the world.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Yes I do miss Europe. It's as you have pointed out, the relative proximity to everything is advantage often ignored by many Europeans. Have a look at google maps. Just as an example, many people who look at Alberta will talk about visiting the fabulous National parks. Calgary is just a few hours away, but the distance between say Jasper and Medicine Hat (701KM) is about the same as London to Geneva (746KM). The cost of internal flights can be expensive too. It is usually cheaper for me to fly to London than Cape Breton on the east coast for example even though the London flight passes right over CB.

As you say History is perhaps the thing I miss most. It's not that I can't find 'old places' in N.America, it's just that nothing all that much has happened in them. Europe's history if full of wars, famines, political turmoil, changes and discoveries. Pick any town in Europe and there will be an eventful story there, often a world shaping event that took place. In N. American town you might find the restored mill of the founding fathers, some old town clock or other, perhaps there will be some skirmish from the war of independence or in the USA the civil war, but that's about it. You can't beat Europe for a sense of history, when I am there it seems to be everywhere.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on how much of the UK and Europe you still long to see.

I've done what I want, to be honest, and overdosed on cities, cathedrals and museums and relics - I've had my fill for a good while.

I've said before that, architecturally, Calgary and no doubt huge swathes of north america are architectural wastelands. They are. But right now, I'm lapping up the space.

We've just been back to the UK and Spain for a three week trip. We've already said this can't be an annual pilgrimage because there is other 'stuff' closer to home now that we also want to see.

Ask me again in 5 or 10 years and I might kill for a cathedral - but right now, I'm OK thanks!!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:59 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

These things are all nice, but ultimately I think it'll be the draw of cheap, freely available booze that will tempt me back there.

We're planning our first trip back next Summer, after two and a half years. There'll probably be a few days of seeing family, but more importantly a couple of weeks traipsing across France or Italy. Sensibly, my parents moved to France so we can kill two birds with one stone there.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
but ultimately I think it'll be the draw of cheap, freely available booze that will tempt me back there.
Very valid point.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

buggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to allbuggalugs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you love Europe, I think there's a good chance you'll miss it.

Migration isn't all beer and skittles.

Typically one doesn't get too much vacation in Canada. Much of that little vacation is spent visiting rellies overseas or touring around with them, to the same (admittedly beautiful) places, over and over and over again.

Then there are the scrambles to scrape together the money and the time off work when the inevitable deaths and funerals occur. And the guilt for having missed so much (one simply cannot afford to attend every wedding and christening one would like to attend and to spend as much time with frail parents as one would like to spend).

A lot of the outdoorsy stuff that people do in Canada costs money. The skis, the boats, the children's after-school sports activities and equipment (which are not provided at school) ....... None of that is cheap. However, you can stretch your dollars if you go camping instead of staying in hotels, if you buy secondhand sports equipment for your kids, and so on.

I come from Southern Africa. I've also lived in Canada, the USA and Australia. Every country in which I've lived has been new from the point of view of European settlement. None of these countries has buildings that are as old as those in Europe. I love the outdoor scenery and the wild spaces in these new countries, but I also love the history, architecture and art in Europe. I would really love to have easier access to Europe.

In my opinion, the original immigrants often make sacrifices and don't necessarily experience the full benefits of immigration. I believe it's the next generation that gets the benefits. If you think Canada offers a better future for your children, you may be willing to bite the bullet for their sakes.

Not everyone here will agree with me, because some forum members who themselves are orginal immigrants have done well, enjoy their destination countries, and so on. But I also have met a lot of immigrants in Canada who have experienced disappointments of various kinds.

Even some of our friends from former Soviet Block countries have returned to their countries of origin or, in their retirement years, are splitting their time between those countries and Canada (where they invariably have Canadian grandchildren).

Honestly, I don't know if anyone can help you with this decision. We could all share our opinions with you till we're blue in the face, and it still wouldn't provide an accurate prediction of how things would work out for you in Canada.

Nonetheless, I hope this has helped to some extent.

Edited to add that you may be puzzled by the note of disappointment in my post and the claim in my signature that I'm following my bliss. Well, I'm moving to Vancouver Island, and I've accepted that my cathedrals will be the giant old growth forests. I really do love them.
x
Hi Judy

So, its Naniamo not Victoria eh? Sorry its not Victoria, there isnt many of us here for me to hang out with. But good luck with it all and if you do come down here you can PM me and we could get together for coffee.
Bye for now
Buggalugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.