Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Europe and the Med ?

Europe and the Med ?

Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Europe and the Med ?

Comparing Europe to North America in terms of culture is rather a silly exercise. I would suggest that there is more to life than whether one can visit an old cathedral. Having said that, if that is indeed your priority then perhaps you should emigrate to France or Italy.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hart50
Comparing Europe to North America in terms of culture is rather a silly exercise. I would suggest that there is more to life than whether one can visit an old cathedral. Having said that, if that is indeed your priority then perhaps you should emigrate to France or Italy.
Oh for gods sake, have you read all my previous post's?.. Whats up with some people ! Geez, take a chill pill. I'm not comparing anything, it's just a discussion.

I've already explained that I would love to emigrate to Italy, but unfortunately we can't afford to, it'll cost us a fortune in schooling for the kids as they're at an age where I feel they would need to attend an International School, rather than an Italian school. Not only this,.. many more reasons,.. won't go into them now.

We're not intending to live in Canada forever (as I've already mentioned, I feel for myself and family more comfortable to say that Europe will always be our home). We've planned to live in Canada for a short while just to experience a difference,.. nothing wrong with that.

We're planning a recce trip in Oct.

Last edited by Katie76; Sep 1st 2008 at 10:09 am.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that there is more to life than whether one can visit an old cathedral.
What?

What are the positive points of moving that outweigh access to objects of historic interest?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What?

What are the positive points of moving that outweigh access to objects of historic interest?
It it hockey?

<didn't think so>
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What?

Perhaps to live in a place where one's OH is not regularly threatened with physical or sexual assault for no other reason than being a visible minority.

I can trade a few piles of stones for that.

For a so called civilized continent Europe can be very uncivil.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:13 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnh009
Exactly, that is why everyone (like me) is spending Saturday evening here posting on Britishexpats, because they are bored to tears.

There is even one guy in Calgary (steve_p or some other obscure name) posting the local shopping flyer on this forum. Like the locals don't have enough time to figure this out for themselves?
Sorry Steve P - I wish you all the luck with everything when and if it happens. Sorry I only half read the posts. All I was trying to say was that as he obviously has a medical condition he is passing away time on this website being helpful to people and there is someone who clearly thinks he has no life by doing so.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:17 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Katie76
Oh for gods sake, have you read all my previous post's?.. Whats up with some people ! Geez, take a chill pill. I'm not comparing anything, it's just a discussion.

I've already explained that I would love to emigrate to Italy, but unfortunately we can't afford to, it'll cost us a fortune in schooling for the kids as they're at an age where I feel they would need to attend an International School, rather than an Italian school. Not only this,.. many more reasons,.. won't go into them now.

We're not intending to live in Canada forever (as I've already mentioned, I feel for myself and family more comfortable to say that Europe will always be our home). We've planned to live in Canada for a short while just to experience a difference,.. nothing wrong with that.

We're planning a recce trip in Oct.
Good luck with your reccie when you come over. I think as I said in my previous post that you swap the european destinations for others which are closer and easier to get to. They may not be to everyone's taste but you make the most of what you have closer to hand.

Some people just need to take a chill pill.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing Europe to North America in terms of culture is rather a silly exercise.
Is it?

How does one discover or highlight differences or similarities without comparing something with something else and discussing them?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for being somewhat snarky but again to compare a continent with 2000-3000 years of history/civilization with one that has 400 (not counting First Nations) is rather a pointless exercise.
To put it another way, London was originally settled over 2000 years ago whereas Calgary has been around for about 125 years. One can certainly compare the two on many levels including, quality of life, crime, schools, health care, etc. But to compare the two on history I'm not sure what the point is.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Without wanting to get into semantics it depends whether one uses the word 'compare' to
"consider or describe as similar; liken: Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"
or
"to examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences"

I favour the second use for the word since I cannot see how something can be described as bigger, older, better, nicer etc unless one has something to compare it to.

Sorry for being somewhat snarky but again to compare a continent with 2000-3000 years of history/civilization with one that has 400 (not counting First Nations) is rather a pointless exercise.
So how do you know that one continent has a longer history than another without comparing the length of its history with that of another so as to note the differences?