Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

eTA and how it will affect us dual citizens

eTA and how it will affect us dual citizens

Old Dec 26th 2014, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default eTA and how it will affect us dual citizens

Okay, I know what eTA is, basically ESTA for Canada, and from what i've read the only reason we're doing it is part of some dumb agreement with the US, but anyway, what I am looking for is how exactly it will affect us as dual citizens who travel with the non-Canadian passport primarily? Seeing as Canada does not yet have a law that forces us to enter/leave Canada on a Canadian passport like the US does... The main bit I was looking at is where it says that the airlines will be sharing advance passenger info with CBSA... I can see this being an issue when one books a trip home on their UK passport, and when returning to Canada, checks in with their UK passport since that's what they booked the flight with, and the airline asks them where their eTA is....

The logical answer for me would just to show a Canadian passport when they ask that question, and that should theoretically get you onto the plane, but i'm afraid it might not be so simple? Hopefully it is though.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: eTA and how it will affect us dual citizens

Originally Posted by Gozit
Okay, I know what eTA is, basically ESTA for Canada, and from what i've read the only reason we're doing it is part of some dumb agreement with the US, but anyway, what I am looking for is how exactly it will affect us as dual citizens who travel with the non-Canadian passport primarily? Seeing as Canada does not yet have a law that forces us to enter/leave Canada on a Canadian passport like the US does... The main bit I was looking at is where it says that the airlines will be sharing advance passenger info with CBSA... I can see this being an issue when one books a trip home on their UK passport, and when returning to Canada, checks in with their UK passport since that's what they booked the flight with, and the airline asks them where their eTA is....

The logical answer for me would just to show a Canadian passport when they ask that question, and that should theoretically get you onto the plane, but i'm afraid it might not be so simple? Hopefully it is though.
Just on a side note, is there a known date for when is this expected to come into force, quick google just says "next year"
Old Dec 26th 2014, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Just on a side note, is there a known date for when is this expected to come into force, quick google just says "next year"
I was wondering this too
Old Dec 26th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a Canadian citizen living in Canada, it's better to travel (and book travel) with a Canadian passport. You can use the UK passport to enter the UK if the EU lines are shorter but that's the only place I would use the UK passport on the trip. Book travel and check in on both sides with the Canadian passport.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering this too
Little more digging seems to suggest it'll be April, but not compulsory until October
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:58 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
If you're a Canadian citizen living in Canada, it's better to travel (and book travel) with a Canadian passport. You can use the UK passport to enter the UK if the EU lines are shorter but that's the only place I would use the UK passport on the trip. Book travel and check in on both sides with the Canadian passport.
It's as simple as this /\

Who cares what passport u use, unless u is a passport snob and must only travel on a UK PP then that's your own fault as far as I can see !!
Old Dec 26th 2014, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't you just use the passport that doesn't require it?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:16 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What is eTA?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:42 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The eTA program is a key commitment of the Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness Action Plan and will mirror the current U.S. Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) program to ensure a common approach to screening travellers outside the North American perimeter
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
What is eTA?
Originally Posted by magnumpi
The eTA program is a key commitment of the Perimeter Security and Economic Competitiveness Action Plan and will mirror the current U.S. Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) program to ensure a common approach to screening travellers outside the North American perimeter
This. Put in laymans terms: The US is forcing us to do it. It is like ESTA. It is annoying and not designed with dual citizens in mind. Sorry for being bitter but why must we copy the US on everything?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's as simple as this /\

Who cares what passport u use, unless u is a passport snob and must only travel on a UK PP then that's your own fault as far as I can see !!
I admit to being a bit of a passport snob. I was looking forward to being able to use the EU passport for the whole trip and just use the Cdn when coming back through YYZ in the electronic gates but then the bloody yanks had to come and mess that up

On a more serious note it does impact people who do not live in Canada any more and don't see the point in paying almost $300 with postage and everything with the new fees to renew a Canadian passport from abroad, which easily multiplies to $600 with 2 people ! These people normally travel with foreign PP and proof of Cdn citizenship. eTA will ruin this for them as

a) The foreign PP needs an eTA
b) You cannot apply for an eTA if you are a Canadian citizen.... Therefore de facto forcing these people to get Canadian passports even when they don't need them to come back, oh 4-5 times in the 10 year life of the passport.

Its like those of you on here who don't renew your UK passports anymore for visits home and just use your Canadian ones because it is cost prohibitive to pay for 5 new British AND Canadian passports for your family. If the UK were to implement a scheme like this and force it on Canadians, then you would be forced to renew the UK one, possibly at a massive cost to your family, and really for no reason... Thats how I see it anyway.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 6:31 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Not very illumnating definitions from either respondent. Some kind of electronic passport from what I can deduce. Gozit: are Canadian passports now ten years (previously five) ?
Old Dec 27th 2014, 8:19 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I admit to being a bit of a passport snob. I was looking forward to being able to use the EU passport for the whole trip and just use the Cdn when coming back through YYZ in the electronic gates but then the bloody yanks had to come and mess that up
There is nothing that special about an EU passport - you will still have long lines regardless using that one or your canadian one in the EU!
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:34 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess the reason it's not overly useful to those with dual citizenships as I'd say that are in the minority.

If this means I need to use my Canadian Passport for the entire journey, then so be it. Yes, a little inconvenient when entering the UK (as I'm a UK citizen and have a valid UK passport), but I could always try it on and use the UK passport. Though I'd rather not annoy the IO's, or cause any grief.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The scheme sounds no different really to Australia's ETA.

Australia has had an ETA (in some cases now called evisitor) for many years. Works perfectly well here. Its well known that you need a visa of some sort unless you are an Aussie citizen (and thus must have an Aussie passport to enter and leave). There are a few exceptions for NZ citizens, but everyone else needs some form of permission to enter before they are allowed onto the plane to come here.
Helps the Aussies keep track of who is in the country and who isn't, and although I argue against many forms of Aussie red tape, I don't have a problem with this one. If you don't want the hassle of getting a Canadian passport and keeping it current, don't become a Canadian citizen. Keep your original citizenship and just get an ETA as a tourist would wheneer you want to visit. Thats how it works here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.