Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Established Neighbourhoods in Calgary???

Wikiposts

Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:13 am
Lyles

Default Established Neighbourhoods in Calgary???

Hello All,

Is anyone familiar with Calgary? We stayed in Aidrie for two months, but only visited Calgary a couple of times. We drove around some very lovely neighbourhoods like Signal Hill (I think it was called), the Hamiltons and Lake Chapperal.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any pointers for well establised neighbourhoods that are not too near to the centre.

When I say established, I just mean older neighbourhoods that don't have the "bald" look about them. We're only a young(ish) family ourselves, but would prefer somewhere where the trees have matured a little. Yes, the trees. Am I being petty?

Any tips and advice, good or bad would be most welcomed.

Thanks,

Leila

Last edited by Lyles; Feb 8th 2005 at 12:15 am.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:21 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Established Neighbourhoods in Calgary???

McKenzie Lake district looks really nice, with much more in the way of treed avenues, it doesn't have that barren look even when everything is brown, and the lake is very pleasant

http://www.calgaryarea.com/se/mckenz...kenzielake.htm

Morw
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lyles

Hello All,

Is anyone familiar with Calgary? We stayed in Aidrie for two months, but only visited Calgary a couple of times. We drove around some very lovely neighbourhoods like Signal Hill (I think it was called), the Hamiltons and Lake Chapperal.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any pointers for well establised neighbourhoods that are not too near to the centre.

When I say established, I just mean older neighbourhoods that don't have the "bald" look about them. We're only a young(ish) family ourselves, but would prefer somewhere where the trees have matured a little. Yes, the trees. Am I being petty?

Thanks,

Leila
Hi Leila,
I lived in the Kensington area of Calgary, where i was a nanny for a family, it was a great area, parks, shopping mall 2 mins away, local shops, very friendly area, also only 5 mins into town centre. This was in the 87/88, but did go back in 99 to see them and looked the same, the city had really grown. It's the northwest area of Calgary.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:20 am
Glaswegian

Take a look at www.mls.ca - there's a load of neighbourhoods like that.

Avoid anything right on the edge of town if you don't want to live somewhere with a new look.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:54 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone familiar with Calgary?

I don't think you're being petty but I do think think you might be being unrealistic. Calgary is essentially and environmentally not a place where a lot of trees grow - it's the prairies bordering on the foothills, at a very high altitude - it's not a place conducive to lush greenery.

That said, I lived in Parkdale (NW) - right across the Bow River from the Buffalo Jump - nice and green (for Calgary). Plus close to downtown, great park areas, excellent hospital, university, easy route out to Banff -- that was many years ago -- it might be different now -- but I've good memories of the place!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Hello All,

Thanks,

Leila
Hi, If you like Calgary....You'll love Cochrane!!!! It's just outside so real easy to get to, and if it's trees you're after there seems plenty in the rockies (only 40 mins away). take a look at the towns website, type the name into google.ca, they have a cool video that you can download.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:34 am
Lyles

Thanks Frankie,

Its not like Aidrie is it? Hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here, but I really couldn't get on with Airdrie, but I've heard lots of positive things about Cochrane, although the houses seem slightly more expensive there - but I guess its for a good reason.

Thanks again. Will have a butchers now!!

Leila

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Hi, If you like Calgary....You'll love Cochrane!!!! It's just outside so real easy to get to, and if it's trees you're after there seems plenty in the rockies (only 40 mins away). take a look at the towns website, type the name into google.ca, they have a cool video that you can download.

Old Feb 9th 2005, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Thanks Frankie,

Its not like Aidrie is it? Hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here, but I really couldn't get on with Airdrie, but I've heard lots of positive things about Cochrane, although the houses seem slightly more expensive there - but I guess its for a good reason.

Thanks again. Will have a butchers now!!

Leila
Not too sure it's been a while since I last went to Aidrie...Did'nt come away with a good impression then...To be honest the houses are slightly more expensive in Cochrane, but that goes with the area, we live on the back of a golf course, where the houses are not so tightly packed together. Some areas of Calgary appear to be almost on top of one another, especially on the larger estates. but again there is a place in cochrane where they are like that as well.
Anyway good luck with the hunting, I know a good realtor in the area if you are interested...Her name is Denise Staples. She was fantastic when we were buying our house, and she still keeps in touch.
Regards
frankieforehead
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:22 am
Lyles

Hi again Frankie.

I've found a website with all the neighbourhoods, lots of pics, lots of information, but no video. I'm on http://www.movingincanada.com/Albert...Neighbourhoods. I can't seem to find the one you're referring to.

Its a good site nevertheless. Its actually lists the "established neighbourhoods". Exactly what I was looking for, although I would still like to see that video.

Do you have the link by any chance? I seached for neighbourhoods calgary under Google.ca.

Thanks,

Leila

Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi again Frankie.

I've found a website with all the neighbourhoods, lots of pics, lots of information, but no video. I'm on http://www.movingincanada.com/Albert...Neighbourhoods. I can't seem to find the one you're referring to.

Its a good site nevertheless. Its actually lists the "established neighbourhoods". Exactly what I was looking for, although I would still like to see that video.

Do you have the link by any chance? I seached for neighbourhoods calgary under Google.ca.

Thanks,

Leila
hi Again,
here it is........www.cochrane.ca..... you should be able to see everything.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 3:33 am
Glaswegian

It's just outside so real easy to get to
When you're looking at property just outside of Calgary, it always pays to look at the Weather Network ... the website lists highway conditions and closures.

Although the roads with in Calgary are snow plowed and are usually reasonable, once you're out past the city boundary it's more of a lottery.

I thought about moving to Okotoks until I had to take my kid to a hockey game at their arena in heavy snow ... it was an experieince that I wouldn't want to repeat.

Old Feb 9th 2005, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
When you're looking at property just outside of Calgary, it always pays to look at the Weather Network ... the website lists highway conditions and closures.

Although the roads with in Calgary are snow plowed and are usually reasonable, once you're out past the city boundary it's more of a lottery.

I thought about moving to Okotoks until I had to take my kid to a hockey game at their arena in heavy snow ... it was an experieince that I wouldn't want to repeat.
I agree, once I drove from Calgary to Medicine Hat in winter and the only thing missing off the road were icebergs........a journey i shall never forget in a hurry.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 6:10 am
Glaswegian

I agree, once I drove from Calgary to Medicine Hat in winter and the only thing missing off the road were icebergs........a journey i shall never forget in a hurry.
I watched a Star Wars movie last week ... two things came to mind:
1) The planet Hoth looked really familiar
2) It didn't look that cold

Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:15 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I don't think you're being petty but I do think think you might be being unrealistic. Calgary is essentially and environmentally not a place where a lot of trees grow - it's the prairies bordering on the foothills, at a very high altitude - it's not a place conducive to lush greenery.

That said, I lived in Parkdale (NW) - right across the Bow River from the Buffalo Jump - nice and green (for Calgary). Plus close to downtown, great park areas, excellent hospital, university, easy route out to Banff -- that was many years ago -- it might be different now -- but I've good memories of the place!
It might not be 'lush' by English standards but there is a vast difference between the trees in a new 2005 community and one that was established 20-40 years ago. Here in the deep SW we have mature trees, nice grass and very good sized plots. We even have a fairly private garden overlooking a park - check out the photo section. We have loads of trees in the park and a few in the garden. Its relative!

A more important consideration than trees is the absence of a school. Many of the new communities do not have schools - dont trust the developer when he says the school will be open in 2007etc as he doesnt actuallly know the school will get approval. The kids from new communities get bussed and depending on the ages of your children this might not be acceptable - it wasnt to us!

Mrs G