Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ESTA for USA? for Canadian residents with british passport

ESTA for USA? for Canadian residents with british passport

Old Dec 7th 2021, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute
Default ESTA for USA? for Canadian residents with british passport

I couldn't find a solid answer to this anywhere. If anyone with prior experience can advice please. I am a british citizen with a work permit in Canada.
I am planning to cross the border by land, and then have a domestic flight in USA. More than the minor fee for ESTA, it's the hassle of filling in extra forms and documentation I would like to avoid if not necessary.

Cheers
Old Dec 7th 2021, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA for USA? for Canadian residents with british passport

Originally Posted by eversmannx
I couldn't find a solid answer to this anywhere. If anyone with prior experience can advice please. I am a british citizen with a work permit in Canada.
I am planning to cross the border by land, and then have a domestic flight in USA. More than the minor fee for ESTA, it's the hassle of filling in extra forms and documentation I would like to avoid if not necessary.

Cheers
ESTA wasn’t outright needed for land crossing, and it was posted somewhere saying as much so the fact you can’t find it outright has me unsure if that’s changed as I haven’t crossed since Jan 2020. That said it apparently makes matters slightly easier, and in my experience when going through the secondary inspection station the border official would usually ask whether/say that I have ESTA. Haven’t had to complete any paperwork at the land border, aside from answering border officials question and paying the $6 for and collecting the i94. For $14 USD for 2 years, I just renew anytime I plan to cross the land border.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 6:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re entering the US by land then you do not require an ESTA to take advantage of the Visa Waiver Program. ESTA only applies to those arriving by air or sea.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you’re entering the US by land then you do not require an ESTA to take advantage of the Visa Waiver Program. ESTA only applies to those arriving by air or sea.
Thanks for confirming. But would I then need one anyways for flight within US?
Old Dec 7th 2021, 6:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ATM you are required to get the Arrive Can app and complete it before re-entry to Canada. Without it you must quarantine for 14 days. As the rules seem to change quickly this may or may not apply to you.

Edit…I realise you didn’t ask about the above…but thought it worth mentioning as a lot of people don’t know about it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 7th 2021 at 6:52 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 6:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not for a domestic flight.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Found this after knowing about I-94 (Thanks ChrisBan ) --- overall it sounds like a good idea to sort out an ESTA.

Arrival/Departure Forms: I-94 and I-94W | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

"Foreign visitors to the U.S. arriving via air or sea no longer need to complete paper Customs and Border Protection Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record or Form I-94W Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival/Departure Record. Those who need to prove their legal-visitor status—to employers, schools/universities or government agencies—can access their CBP arrival/departure record information online. CBP now gathers travelers’ arrival/departure information automatically from their electronic travel records.

Now at the land border, travelers will be issued I-94s electronically and will no longer receive a paper I-94 stub. CBP encourages travelers requiring an I-94 to use the CBP One™ mobile app or the CBP I-94 website (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home) to apply for their I-94. Although an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is not required at the land border for citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries, if these travelers have an approved ESTA (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/), they can use the I-94 website or CBP One™ mobile app to apply in advance and avoid filling out the Form I-94W when arriving at a port of entry."
Old Dec 8th 2021, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Eggx is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the land border recently. They did ask about my ESTA status and having done the I-94 online, i was only in secondary for <5mins, as they only needed to take my fingerprints.

So i recommend both the ESTA and I-94 online.
Old Dec 8th 2021, 3:21 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to do it. BUT sometimes they can get antsy if you haven't. They don't have to key in all your information if you have the ESTA.
It will be a smoother experience if you do the ESTA and CBP One for the USA and the Arrive Canada App for coming back.
Old Dec 8th 2021, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Eggx MB-Realtor
Old Dec 9th 2021, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eggx
I used the land border recently. They did ask about my ESTA status and having done the I-94 online, i was only in secondary for <5mins, as they only needed to take my fingerprints.

So i recommend both the ESTA and I-94 online.
I got both done.
Do I need to carry around my work permit document? really hate to carry around an official paper unless I really have to (I have a scan copy on my phone/ipad)
Old Dec 9th 2021, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

I got both done.
Do I need to carry around my work permit document? really hate to carry around an official paper unless I really have to (I have a scan copy on my phone/ipad)
for entry back into Canada? Yes will make things a lot easier when entering and CBSA agent asks “what’s the purpose of your visit”
Old Dec 10th 2021, 12:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
for entry back into Canada? Yes will make things a lot easier when entering and CBSA agent asks “what’s the purpose of your visit”
Agree, it's better to carry the TWP so there aren't any awkward questions on arrival; also handy to have in case of stricter border controls - whereas they don't always permit visitors across into Canada, with a work permit the OP should be ok.