Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ESTA requirements for British Citizen (Canadian PR) travelling to USA

ESTA requirements for British Citizen (Canadian PR) travelling to USA

Old Aug 2nd 2022, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ESTA requirements for British Citizen (Canadian PR) travelling to USA

Has anyone crossed the Peace Bridge at Buffalo and just shown their Canadian PR card and British passport? According to Settlement in Ontario website, no ESTA is required!

When is the best time to cross into USA?. Weekday morning or Saturday morning? I am monitoring Border time crossings to see any differences.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA requirements for British Citizen (Canadian PR) travelling to USA

You're correct that ESTA is not required but it speeds things up considerably. In either case you'll have to go into secondary inspection, but without an ESTA you have to fill out one of the green I-94 forms there, but with ESTA they will just print out a card to put in your passport instead because ESTA is basically the exact same questions. So it saves a bit of time.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Aug 2nd 2022 at 4:51 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:36 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA requirements for British Citizen (Canadian PR) travelling to USA

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
You're correct that ESTA is not required but it speeds things up considerably. In either case you'll have to go into secondary inspection, but without an ESTA you have to fill out one of the green I-94 forms there, but with ESTA they will just print out a card to put in your passport instead because ESTA is basically the exact same questions. So it saves a bit of time.
Wife and I both have PR status; we travelled to the US from BC a few days ago. Previous correspondence on this site led us to obtain an ESTA and I-94's before travelling. The ESTA certainly helped but we still had to be "identified" and bio records taken inside the building before being allowed to proceed.
CBP information can be confusing, currently https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...-system-travel states:
"The implementation of the ESTA program allows DHS to eliminate the requirement that VWP travelers complete an I-94W prior to being admitted to the United States. CBP has transitioned to paperless processing for VWP travelers arriving by air or sea who have obtained an ESTA authorization. Most travelers entering the United States under the Visa Waiver Program who have an approved ESTA will no longer need to fill out the I-94W form, nor will a green I-94W departure card be placed in their passport. The I-94W form will still be required at the land border."
HTH

Old Aug 2nd 2022, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA will be required for land border crossings as of October 1st. And having it makes everyones lives easier at the border.
Old Aug 2nd 2022, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
ESTA will be required for land border crossings as of October 1st. And having it makes everyones lives easier at the border.
Where did you find this information?
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
Where did you find this information?
I just googled and found this link

https://www.nafsa.org/regulatory-inf...nd-ports-entry
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
That's what I was going to link to as well interestingly CBP are now advertising on billboards in BC about this new requirement.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. Guess it makes sense to get an ESTA now, even though I am travelling in September as it will speed up the processing time.
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 4:31 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Good Google, thanks for the link.
I note that the information states "
  • " Although the collection of the I-94W data elements will now be done electronically through ESTA, travelers at the land border will continue to receive a printed departure record. This printed departure record is equivalent to the departure portion of the paper Form I-94W. This document will be stamped by the CBP officer who processes the traveler’s admission and should be retained by the traveler while he or she is in the United States. VWP visitors who depart from the United States via a land port will generally be required to surrender this document upon leaving the United States.14 CBP will enter the departure information manually into the appropriate CBP database."
    I always found it difficult on departure to find anyone who wanted the printed record. In most cases there are no immigration officials on the US side and the Canadians aren't interested! God forbid that at land borders, we have to queue to hand in a departure record to a US official and then queue to enter Canada (having completed the annoying Arrivecan).
Old Aug 3rd 2022, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by btar
  • " Although the collection of the I-94W data elements will now be done electronically through ESTA, travelers at the land border will continue to receive a printed departure record. This printed departure record is equivalent to the departure portion of the paper Form I-94W. This document will be stamped by the CBP officer who processes the traveler’s admission and should be retained by the traveler while he or she is in the United States. VWP visitors who depart from the United States via a land port will generally be required to surrender this document upon leaving the United States.14 CBP will enter the departure information manually into the appropriate CBP database."
    I always found it difficult on departure to find anyone who wanted the printed record. In most cases there are no immigration officials on the US side and the Canadians aren't interested! God forbid that at land borders, we have to queue to hand in a departure record to a US official and then queue to enter Canada (having completed the annoying Arrivecan).
I've always handed mine into CBSA officers and never had an issue with them accepting it. In any case, it's generally not a big deal if you don't hand them in as your exit is electronically recorded anyway but it is the accepted way of validating your exit from US.
Old Aug 4th 2022, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
No need for anything to be handed back now. They stamp your passport with the 3 month visa and she told me to basically cross it out when it expires. Having previously forgotten to hand back in an expired green card many moons ago i can happily state that nobody had a clue and subsequent visits to US haven't been an issue. My friend on the other hand still had her expired green card stuck in passport and the border agent was not amused! She received a very stern warning
Old Aug 6th 2022, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

I have to say, I am not going to miss being hauled in at the border once I get my Canadian passport.