Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

essential paperwork to take.

essential paperwork to take.

Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future
Default essential paperwork to take.

Hi all,

I'm going over to Toronto in March. I'm an Electrician here in the UK, and have PR card to go with.

I'm going to go through the steps so as to get an Ontario Electricians license and have got that paperwork together.

Can anyone suggest any items of paperwork that I must take to make any other issues easier once I arrive. like birth certificates etc.

Thanks
Gary
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:18 am
Just Joined

still waiting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: essential paperwork to take.

hello gary,
having been through the system for a plumbing licence they were more interested in a letter of experience giving dates when i started and a brief rundown on work carried out.

best of luck

tony o'donnell
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:44 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Gary

first contact http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/trainin...tradecert.html

They will advise the paperwork that you will need, anything that you dont have can be wrote and withnessed by police etc etc in the area.
i would take as much as possable

good luck
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:31 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

personally, everything and anything in your hand luggage that proves who you are, why you are there and what your intentions are.......
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

garymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant futuregarymc has a brilliant future

Thanks for replying,

When going to get car insurance over in Canada, is it a good idea to get a letter stating my proof of no claims bonus over here in Scotland, or is that a waste of time?. I think someone had mentioned it on this site at some point.

What about a credit report from Equifax from the UK, would that help with anything?

Cheers
Gary
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:07 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

they, as in the canadians, like to see at least nine years worth of insurance, preferably with no claims, so write to all your previous insurance companies asking for references and most importantly, proff of no claims....... and as to equifax, it's fine and worth getting but it's not cheap and of course it has a shelf life of about 3months, so save that one until you're due to go.......you can get it done on the net.

best advice again, is take everything.....if you think it's important, take it.....probably won't need most of it but if you get asked, you've got it.....especially the stuff that's a 'ball-ache' to get once over there, right?......i've even got referencies from electricity, gas, water, council tax, mortgage, house insurance, copies of birth certificates, mobile phone, telephone, internet provider and on and on the list goes.....oh! and character referencies from friends, past employers etc etc etc......it costs you abit of your time and a stamp.......

it might be over zealous of me but hey, as all good boy scouts know, 'be prepared'.......
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that info.

I'd better get typing letters.

Gary.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all

Originally Posted by garymc
Thanks for that info.

I'd better get typing letters.

Gary.
Hi Gary, i would concur with gibsonlandidng- the more evidence you can get the better- were just going through all of this too, a friend of mine emails me with tips every now and again and also said about the info for the no claims with the car insurance- had she organised that before hand she would have got a 40% discount. ive got al info on good credit from everywhere as theprevious post suggests. my friend also said get extra passport size photos done its surprising what you will need them for so were having a job lot done as were about to send off for our police checks.

if you have a pension dont 4get to get info on that... particularly the serial number or codes for it and addresses of where it is with incase you decide your going to transfer it (thats if you can).

good luck