British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   ePassports (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/epassports-770886/)

Steve_ Sep 7th 2012 6:44 pm

ePassports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-CA&v=dGyTCqPaXDo

So there will be no integration with NEXUS, it's just a chip with your passport information on it.

The only reason I can fathom for the option of five-year passports is to keep the union happy. Because if everyone went to a ten-year passport there would be a five-year fallow period.

MarylandNed Sep 7th 2012 7:21 pm

Re: ePassports

What sort of NEXUS integration? Not everyone who qualifies for a Canadian passport would qualify for NEXUS approval.

BTJ Sep 7th 2012 9:41 pm

Is NEXUS integration even possible due to ICAO guidelines on ePassports?

Edit: My point being the ePassport holds the passport information data (name, DoB, *.jpeg of person, etc) on the chip, whereas I think that the NEXUS card doesn't hold information but just points to an entry in a shared US/Canadian database. Could Canada put in the extra "NEXUS pointer" data onto an ePassport chip whilst staying within the ICAO guidelines?

Ramsey Sep 11th 2012 7:52 pm

Why cant they put the Nexus pointer in your immigration record that your passport points to?

Former Lancastrian Sep 11th 2012 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ramsey (Post 10275816)
Why cant they put the Nexus pointer in your immigration record that your passport points to?

Because NEXUS is only valid between Canada and the US. You are issued a NEXUS card and as long as using the NEXUS kiosks then no requirement for a passport.
Canadian citizens travelling by air to the United States must present one of the following valid documents:
•a passport; or
•a NEXUS card when using a self-serve kiosk at designated Canadian airports.

I should add you can use your NEXUS card if returning from any country that has a direct flight where you would need a passport to enter. A NEXUS pointer in your passport wont help if travelling to the UK though will it?

Ramsey Sep 12th 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10275821)
Because NEXUS is only valid between Canada and the US. You are issued a NEXUS card and as long as using the NEXUS kiosks then no requirement for a passport.
Canadian citizens travelling by air to the United States must present one of the following valid documents:
•a passport; or
•a NEXUS card when using a self-serve kiosk at designated Canadian airports.

I should add you can use your NEXUS card if returning from any country that has a direct flight where you would need a passport to enter. A NEXUS pointer in your passport wont help if travelling to the UK though will it?

Thanks for going over the rules of the program..... but kinda missed my point. :)

Above it was noted that your NEXUS details are not able to be stored on your passport chip, as that is not in the ePassport standard.

But if the US and Canada linked your ePassport record to your NEXUS record within their systems, there should be no reason you couldnt wave your ePassport at the RFID reader when crossing at a land border..... Or maybe even add the Passport chip id within the NEXUS system....

Just thinking of ways where you could merge both systems..... Air crossing doesn't really matter as you need to carry both NEXUS card and passport and the machines go off your iris scan anyway.

And as for your last point, NEXUS is no help going to the UK end-of.... pointer or none. Only on returning can you use the benefit of the NEXUS lane, but you would still need to be in possesion of your passport in order to enter the UK/have boarded the flight.

Former Lancastrian Sep 12th 2012 3:27 pm

Too many systems and programmes tend to confuse the traveller and the costs incurred of developing these systems and getting that software to interact with that software also make it a challenge.
If crossing by land border into the US I have the choice of using the following
1. Enhanced driving licence no passport required
2. NEXUS card but only in designated NEXUS lanes and only on certain days and certain hours
3. My Canadian passport.
Basically most enhanced driving licence stopped when they found small numbers wishing to register and not all Provinces went on board.
Not all qualify for NEXUS.
The vast majority of Canadians hold a passport and even the Govt say this is the best document to travel on.
Most major airports are now or will be introducing the ABC kiosks for returning residents.
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/abc-paf-eng.html
With so many different programmes and forms of ID out there wouldnt it be simpler to have one document that does all of the above.
Instead of lining up to see an actual human being you will be now lining up to use a machine and hoping that the machine doesnt break down and that the persons using the machines know how to use them as Ive seen some pretty funny incidents at our NEXUS kiosks.
They are not ATMs and you cant get money out of them :rofl:

Ramsey Sep 12th 2012 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10277277)
With so many different programmes and forms of ID out there wouldnt it be simpler to have one document that does all of the above.

Agreed.... The NEXUS benefit is not the card itself, but that of the pre-screened status, surely there's a way to combine that with the passport.

But then again, if we do combine them all onto the passport are they going to start to cost $500 every 10 years?

Former Lancastrian Sep 12th 2012 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ramsey (Post 10277666)
Agreed.... The NEXUS benefit is not the card itself, but that of the pre-screened status, surely there's a way to combine that with the passport.

But then again, if we do combine them all onto the passport are they going to start to cost $500 every 10 years?

So a person goes for pre screening and passes and gets a new e passport.
He then either commits a serious criminal offence or has a Customs violation (non report of goods) or Agriculture violation (non report of food items).
Who would then be responsible for entering that data on the chip contained in the passport as that person is no longer deemed to be a low risk traveller as per the NEXUS regs and no longer eligible for pre screened status.
Easier said than done IMHO.
Lots can happen over a 5 or 10 year period validity of a passport.

Ramsey Sep 12th 2012 9:15 pm

Easy... Visa-like sticker in the passport, easily cancelled just like my PR visa once I landed.... Initial NEXUS fee could be pro-rata until passport expiry, then combined passport/nexus renewal.

And again, all the required info would be stored against your immigration record and NOT on the chip......

Just out of interest.... if you commit a serious criminal offence who enters that data onto your NEXUS record? how does security pre-screen know your card is cancelled? The other two scenarios are easy as you would have passport/NEXUS card on you at violation time.

Just thinking out of the box here....

Former Lancastrian Sep 12th 2012 9:30 pm

Chances are a Canadian in Canada convicted of a serious criminal offence would only come to the attention if checked by USCBP as part of any entry as per the NEXUS criteria when accepted or on renewing NEXUS card.

6.inform you that you may be subject to an inspection any time you enter Canada or the United States.

As for entering the data then Im sure Passport Canada who hold the rights to your passport might have something to say about that therefore starting a pissing match between Govt Depts. Im sure Passport Canada will not give CBSA any access to one of their programmes although CBSA can flag you in their systems.
Immigration records are jointly shared by CBSA/CIC.
CIC do not want Customs or Agricultural offences entered into their data base.
Thinking as an examining officer and knowing what the Govt does :lol: