Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Entry to Canada with $10,000 ?

Entry to Canada with $10,000 ?

Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of
Default Re: Entry to Canada with $10,000 ?

Originally Posted by iaink
Not reporting it can lead to big trouble, but its not like they are going to tax you on it, so feel free to report it.
I thought amounts over $10K would be taxed, are you sure it is not?. I recently came back from a trip and was surprised to be asked how much money I had with me, I was expecting the question to be "are you bringing amounts in excess of $10K"?. Anyway, I debated whether to answer less than $10K or just tell them the exact amount I had, I opted for the latter and still I was asked why I had that amount on me, even when it was less than $10K. They really like to intimidate people sometimes.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Im sure.

What possible right would they have to tax you on it. Its your money, you already paid tax on it at source, or you will when you have to report your worldwide income. Its strictly there as a tool to use to prevent / prosecute people over money laundering offences.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

BritInAB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Though I am personally not a great fan of HSBC a lot of people have gone to their local branch in the Uk and opened one. Then bring a little bit of money (not $10,000 cash) open up a canadian HSBC and get the money transferred.

There are ways, and carrying large amounts of cash is just not one of them and is so yesterday.
Look at it another way - the Canadian $ is very strong right now, so for a large sum of cash you are going to lose a fair bit. Bring just a small amount and a UK VISA debit card (use for goods, cash from ATMs becomes expensive). When the rate is better you can ask your bank to transfer a lump sum over for a fixed cost. As an example Abbey charge GBP25 for this service - the difference in the exchange rate would have netted you an extra $1000 on $10000 at the beginning of the year! (Presuming a rate of about 2.2 then compared with about 2.0 now).

I still keep a few pounds in my old Abbey account. I keep the cash in the eSaver until I need it, then use the computer to transfer to my main account if I want to buy something big.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of

I forgot to ask a question on behalf of someone...if money is given to you as a gift, you have to declare it, right?. And if so, would this money not be taxable?. A friend sometimes gets cash money from her ex when she visits her family there and wondered if this money could be considered spousal support and thus be taxable?. What about money given to an adult child by a parent while visiting, would this also be considered taxable?. Thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Yes Im sure.

What possible right would they have to tax you on it. Its your money, you already paid tax on it at source, or you will when you have to report your worldwide income. Its strictly there as a tool to use to prevent / prosecute people over money laundering offences.
It makes sense, not sure why I thought it would be taxed, thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monique
I forgot to ask a question on behalf of someone...if money is given to you as a gift, you have to declare it, right?. And if so, would this money not be taxable?. A friend sometimes gets cash money from her ex when she visits her family there and wondered if this money could be considered spousal support and thus be taxable?. What about money given to an adult child by a parent while visiting, would this also be considered taxable?. Thanks.
Any money you bring as cash (or similar) has to be declared on entry, but gifted cash is NOT taxable income come tax return time. Your friends additional child support is in a grey area I guess. I suppose if its over and above her maintenance agreement its basically a gift...but dont quote me in court
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

do you just have to declare the money when you enter the country.or do you have to declare money already sent. and will you have to decalre money that you have wired over at a later date?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Greenhill
very helpful. with all these links i am building up my favourites file is getting bigger and bigger. i have had to make folders within folders:
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:44 am
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi there,

Can anyone help please? I know you are only allowed to enter Canada with $10,000 cash but is that per family or per adult?

Thanks

Julie
Open a bank account and send any excess funds over before hand - we sold our house in the UK and had oooodles of cash to bring over but stuck it in the bank for our arrival in Canada.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by smiges33
do you just have to declare the money when you enter the country.or do you have to declare money already sent. and will you have to decalre money that you have wired over at a later date?
Just cash and similar that you bring with you. Wire transfers etc are automatically reported by the banks
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi there,

Can anyone help please? I know you are only allowed to enter Canada with $10,000 cash but is that per family or per adult?

Thanks

Julie
Hi. When we went through immigration they asked us how much we had collectively. (this was the officer at the desk where we was sorting out the cat) We had over $10,000 in cash. She told us we need to go to the next desk along and declare it. she was not pleasant and totally diff to the immigration officer! when i spoke to the person at the next desk they just waved it off and said it was fine. Went back to the first desk as instructed and she was like 'they said fine' ??? she then queried it with another officer who again said 'no its fine'. so she let us go

So the short answer is we were asked how much cash we were carrying collectively and it was over $10,000. We just declared it on the card they give you on the plane.