Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada without PR Card?

Entering Canada without PR Card?

Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:33 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice
Default Entering Canada without PR Card?

Has anyone with PR status but no PR Card managed to re-enter Canada? If so how did you manage it?

We landed in October but returned to the UK within 2 weeks. We plan to move out at the end of March but don't have our PR Cards.

We were going to get them sent to us in the UK from our friend in Canada, who's address they are being sent to. But the immigration officer in Calgary airport in October said we should not do this as they may get intercepted in the post. Also our PR cards still haven't yet arrived at our friends address in Canada (this is longer than expected so they may have gone astray), so this may not be an option. I struggling to know what we are supposed to do.

Does anyone have any advice for us?

Thank You
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:39 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada without PR Card?

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Has anyone with PR status but no PR Card managed to re-enter Canada? If so how did you manage it?

We landed in October but returned to the UK within 2 weeks. We plan to move out at the end of March but don't have our PR Cards.

We were going to get them sent to us in the UK from our friend in Canada, who's address they are being sent to. But the immigration officer in Calgary airport in October said we should not do this as they may get intercepted in the post. Also our PR cards still haven't yet arrived at our friends address in Canada (this is longer than expected so they may have gone astray), so this may not be an option. I struggling to know what we are supposed to do.

Thank You
Hi Helen....i think (someone might correct me) you need to buy a return ticket for your trip if you don't have your PR cards.....it's something about the checkin desks refusing to let you fly without a return ticket...

You must be excited about going so soon.....i'm thrilled for you hun
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:44 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

No you don't need return tickets. You need to get a single trip entry visa as a returning resident, from the CHC in London. You just have to turn up there and explain why you don't have your PR card.

I had to do this when rejoining my family in Canada, having landed and returned to UK on my own to finish selling the house etc.

one sec and I'll look up the current price etc .....

Here you are ...http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/return/e_return.htm ..... it's still $50 payable in Ca$ or pounds stirling.

You might be able to apply for one by post if you have the time and don't want to travel to London. Not sure about that.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jan 10th 2009 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:01 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get a single trip entry visa as a returning resident, from the CHC in London. You just have to turn up there and explain why you don't have your PR card.

Just think, as an added bonus on coming to Canada, you also get a shopping trip to London.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:02 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna
No you don't need return tickets. You need to get a single trip entry visa as a returning resident, from the CHC in London. You just have to turn up there and explain why you don't have your PR card.

I had to do this when rejoining my family in Canada, having landed and returned to UK on my own to finish selling the house etc.

one sec and I'll look up the current price etc .....

Here you are ...http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/return/e_return.htm ..... it's still $50 payable in Ca$ or pounds stirling.

You might be able to apply for one by post if you have the time and don't want to travel to London. Not sure about that.
Thanks for the advice. Can I ask how long ago you did this? Did you go down in person yourself?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:14 pm
Moved from Chester UK

Given that post seems to sometimes end up in the wrong piles at CIC I think it's probably best if we do it in person.

Can I just check that this link is where we need to go. Do we just drop in between 8 and 11 Mon-Fri without an appointment?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/london.asp

Also is the travel document issued on the day?

Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really nice

Thank You
We did exactly this.
We landed then retunred to the UK and had the PR Cards sent to family in Calgary.

Our PR Cards were delayed due to issues with the photographs so we emmigrated with just our Landing Documentation within our passports.

The customs official at Calgary Airport explained that we should have had PR Cards, we explained why we didnt and he told although he could stop us from entering is not a major issue. He was extremely helpful and just said make sure you get your PR Cards as soon as you can.

I guess it could come down to the attitude of the indivdual customs official!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kokanee
The customs official at Calgary Airport explained that we should have had PR Cards, we explained why we didnt and he told although he could stop us from entering is not a major issue. He was extremely helpful and just said make sure you get your PR Cards as soon as you can.

If he tried to stop you he would be in breach of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

As for flying without a return ticket, Air Canada's website says (unless it has changed recently) you can do this if you are a citizen of a visa-waiver country. But the charter airlines are a lot more difficult about this.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:40 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If he tried to stop you he would be in breach of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

As for flying without a return ticket, Air Canada's website says (unless it has changed recently) you can do this if you are a citizen of a visa-waiver country. But the charter airlines are a lot more difficult about this.
Thats what i thought....i read someone else got turned away because they didn't have a return ticket with AC....
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:42 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. Can I ask how long ago you did this? Did you go down in person yourself?
Yes. I did it in 2005.

Can I just check that this link is where we need to go. Do we just drop in between 8 and 11 Mon-Fri without an appointment?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/london.asp

Also is the travel document issued on the day?

Thanks
Open to the public between 8 and 11, but I was warned that the line-up starts well before 8, so got there about 7.15 (I think). There were already more than half a dozen people wating outside at that time.

I went through a security check, like at an airport, then joined another line. I told the desk what I needed and then had to take a seat to wait for an officer to become available. She said she'd been the officer who had looked at our application and she was pleased to meet me! It was good to be able to thank her!

Another short wait and my document was ready.

It could, but it'd be a bugger to be turned down for the sake of a $50 visa. (scuse the french). Also, people have reported problems with airlines letting you travel on a one way ticket without a valid travel document, so maybe you were a bit lucky!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jan 10th 2009 at 9:46 pm. Reason: forgot to answer the question!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:13 pm
Moved from Chester UK

Originally Posted by JAJ

We are flying Charter!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:17 pm
Moved from Chester UK

We did exactly this.
We landed then retunred to the UK and had the PR Cards sent to family in Calgary.

Our PR Cards were delayed due to issues with the photographs so we emmigrated with just our Landing Documentation within our passports.

I don't think I'd risk that. The last 4 years has been leading up 'Moving' wouldn't want it ruined by some-ones attitude on the day.

And I think it's the airline that's more likely to have the problem than immigration. Providing the cards do actually arrive in the post our friend could drive down to Calgary airport with them.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:19 pm
Moved from Chester UK

Open to the public between 8 and 11, but I was warned that the line-up starts well before 8, so got there about 7.15 (I think). There were already more than half a dozen people wating outside at that time.
OMG, but thanks for the advice. They should open it in the afternoon instead, not exactly very good for those non-Londeners!

But hey, if thats what we've got to do then that's what we'll do.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

And not even a Timmies to help you feel Canadian!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:08 pm
Moved from Chester UK

Can I just ask a couple of questions about the Travel Document.

- Is it valid for a specific date? As our flight has already been cancelled and rearranged, and the way things are going with the airlines I wouldn't be surprised if it changed again.

- Is it valid for a certain length of time? If this is the case, then obviously we don't want to go down to London too soon.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.