Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada via the U.S

Entering Canada via the U.S

Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering Canada via the U.S

Guys just found this forumMy first post is this ,I live in Windsor,On,Ive been in Canada 25yrs,By the way,
Now I'm going back to Belfast in a few weeks I hope,And will be flying from Detroit to Dublin and returning the same way,
I don't have one of them PR cards,Will I need one to get back on the plane in Dublin to come to the states to come back into Canada,
and can I go down to the local immigration office for help to fill out this pr form if needed,Thank you guys.

Last edited by yakkiebush; Dec 21st 2012 at 5:56 am.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Canada via the U.S

You could follow this link to get a PR card.
If travelling back by private vehicle Detroit-Windsor no PR card required but proof of PR status ie old IMM 1000 would be useful to prove you are a PR.
Good luck in going down to your nearest CIC office as they are no longer walk in and you need to make appointments.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../apply-how.asp
Old Dec 21st 2012, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

cedarsguardian is an unknown quantity at this point

25 years in Canada?

I would have thought you should have citizenship and a Canadian passport? Or am I missing something.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You could follow this link to get a PR card.
If travelling back by private vehicle Detroit-Windsor no PR card required but proof of PR status ie old IMM 1000 would be useful to prove you are a PR.
Good luck in going down to your nearest CIC office as they are no longer walk in and you need to make appointments.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../apply-how.asp
I guess Ill have to get onto this card I just usually show my British passport and my immigration papers stabled in it.
Thanks for the reply anyway
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cedarsguardian
25 years in Canada?

I would have thought you should have citizenship and a Canadian passport? Or am I missing something.
Na buddy your missing nothing,Im still a British citizen
A Canadian citizenship would only let me vote ,And there all cowboys anyway,That's all ,My son was born in the U.K 26 yrs ago and hes still a Brit,
Perhaps one day before I get to old Ill become a true Canuck,I believe you have to be a citizen for your OAP.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

cedarsguardian is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting to know.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:06 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yakkiebush
A Canadian citizenship would only let me vote ....

....or perhaps also allow you to travel on your Canadian passport back into Canada after your trip back to Ireland???????????
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

It is not a choice between being British and getting canadian citizenship, you can have and be both.

I applied for Canadian citizenship because it makes it easier to travel beween the US and Canada. I live 30 minutes from the border and US flights are much cheaper.

Though I have a friend who is in their 80s now, he has been here most of his life. All the rest of the family has their Canadian Citizenship but he is Welsh and "a Brit forever".

His family is getting pretty sick of having to wait for him, sometimes for extended periods whilst he does all his paperwork to cross the border. But he will not change. He gets his OAP without any issue.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
... He gets his OAP without any issue.
Yes, you don't need to be a citizen to qualify for a pension.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britsnake
It is not a choice between being British and getting canadian citizenship, you can have and be both.

I applied for Canadian citizenship because it makes it easier to travel beween the US and Canada. I live 30 minutes from the border and US flights are much cheaper.

Though I have a friend who is in their 80s now, he has been here most of his life. All the rest of the family has their Canadian Citizenship but he is Welsh and "a Brit forever".

His family is getting pretty sick of having to wait for him, sometimes for extended periods whilst he does all his paperwork to cross the border. But he will not change. He gets his OAP without any issue.
I Guess your right,I just haven't bothered my arse to do it,Nothing against Canada as I have lived here half my living life,And will never go back permanently,
Everything changed so much since 9/11 ,As in crossing borders ,etc,
some day i will become a citizen ,I guess its not top priority right now.

Now i'm not all about someones identity or nothing ,I just haven't done the deed.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

so I am guessing you have landed papers stappled into the back of your British Passport?? its wot we used to get back in to Canada until we became citizens in 2005, PR cards came in earlier than 2005 and we didn't have them, just the piece of paper in the back of our passports, so I would check with the border doods to see if they will let u in .....yours down the road in Amhertsburg!!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yakkiebush
Na buddy your missing nothing,Im still a British citizen
A Canadian citizenship would only let me vote ,And there all cowboys anyway,That's all ,My son was born in the U.K 26 yrs ago and hes still a Brit,
Perhaps one day before I get to old Ill become a true Canuck,I believe you have to be a citizen for your OAP.
Canadian citizenship also stops you from being deported as well if only a PR