Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

English in Toronto looking for others!

English in Toronto looking for others!

Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all
Default Re: English in Toronto looking for others!

Originally Posted by whitesarah_2000
Hey, Im English, 25, moved to Toronto 4 years ago.

I seem to have done OK, making friends here, but I would really love to connect with some other Brits living in the city. 'There is much I miss about the English, and havent seemed to have met any English people here.

If anyone has ideas about English meet up groups, or are yourself looking for English friends, please get in touch?!

Thanks

Sarah
Ewch yn ôl I Lloegr?...
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazman
Ewch yn ôl I Lloegr?...

For those that don't speak Welsh, what was suggested was that you "Return To England"

Rule 17
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by siouxie
For those that don't speak Welsh, what was suggested was that you "Return To England"

Rule 17
now stop stirring!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

whitesarah_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the useful comments. And not for the inappropriate ones suggesting I am not open minded. I har plenty if friends here from all over the world but I lack English friends. Thanks for judging me though very friendly!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the useful comments. And not for the inappropriate ones suggesting I am not open minded. I har plenty if friends here from all over the world but I lack English friends. Thanks for judging me though very friendly!
Don't worry Sarah you just upset the welshman.

He'll get over it! He'll be counting sheep later

Edit: Apologies for the crude joke!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

what's with the 'whitesarah' agenda?, you from South Africa?...
sorry, perhaps you're just Sarah White
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Actually you know what? I have been in Toronto for four years. In that time I have advised students at university, fundraised for people with terminal illnesses, volunteered ( and currently volunteering) for Children's Aid Society, having won several awards for my contribution to children's well being, worked with adults with mental health issues, have a network of friends and professionals from all walks of life and I have embraced this beautiful multi cultural city for everything it has to offer. This is why , now after four years, I have asked this question. I realise I have no fellow Brits in my life and would be nice if I did. To be told I should go back to England and that I should be open minded about people is extremely hurtful, insensitive and judgemental. Shame on you.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Actually you know what? I have been in Toronto for four years. In that time I have advised students at university, fundraised for people with terminal illnesses, volunteered ( and currently volunteering) for Children's Aid Society, having won several awards for my contribution to children's well being, worked with adults with mental health issues, have a network of friends and professionals from all walks of life and I have embraced this beautiful multi cultural city for everything it has to offer. This is why , now after four years, I have asked this question. I realise I have no fellow Brits in my life and would be nice if I did. To be told I should go back to England and that I should be open minded about people is extremely hurtful, insensitive and judgemental. Shame on you.
please pass me that box of tissues...
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The 'go back to England?" comment was a joke, it wasn't meant to be taken personally or seriously - it's that great British humour coming out - you definitely need some Brits to hang out with, lol.

Blame me for translating it - I never know when to keep my mouth shut (oops).

It sounds like you have integrated extremely well and are doing nicely - you just want some"Brits" to hang out with sometimes.. nothing wrong with wanting that and there have been a few suggestions of how you could meet up with ex-pats.

Take yourself down the pub, listen out for the accents and plow straight in.

Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Don't worry Sarah you just upset the welshman.

He'll get over it! He'll be counting sheep later

Edit: Apologies for the crude joke!
It's actually spelt 'mounting' not counting,
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

The 'go back to England?" comment was a joke, it wasn't meant to be taken personally or seriously - it's that great British humour coming out - you definitely need some Brits to hang out with, lol.

Blame me for translating it - I never know when to keep my mouth shut (oops).

It sounds like you have integrated extremely well and are doing nicely - you just want some"Brits" to hang out with sometimes.. nothing wrong with wanting that and there have been a few suggestions of how you could meet up with ex-pats.

Take yourself down the pub, listen out for the accents and plow straight in.

Thanks no I wasnt riled by your comment, I understand that you were translating. It was the immaturity of a couple of others. I dont know why they reply if they dont have any helpful suggestions, boredom with their own life, perhaps?

Anyway I wont rise to it now, how people treat me is their karma, how i react is mine.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks no I wasnt riled by your comment, I understand that you were translating. It was the immaturity of a couple of others. I dont know why they reply if they dont have any helpful suggestions, boredom with their own life, perhaps?

Anyway I wont rise to it now, how people treat me is their karma, how i react is mine.
yes the Brits' sense of humour is odd I know, but would you rather be surrounded by Germans?? ...

edit;

"Don't mention the war, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it..."

Last edited by Gazman; Dec 20th 2012 at 10:52 pm. Reason: edit;
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:16 am
Banned

Like I said, it wasn't said maliciously, it was just a joke - good old British humour... it's what we do, make silly comments.

Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Like I said, it wasn't said maliciously, it was just a joke - good old British humour... it's what we do, make silly comments.

you speak for yourself, I'm not a complete idiot...parts of me are missing!...
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Well I'm English!

Have you tried The Main Event, its the Man U supporters club (not my team) but its also the England supporters club for internationals. Chances are there will be a few Brits there.

Else try Scallywags. I believe this is the Liverpool supporters club but I much prefer the rugby crowd when I attend. Hope this helps, we are out there in Toronto anyways!

Tigers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.