British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   English Pubs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/english-pubs-255275/)

alan dell Sep 17th 2004 6:59 pm

English Pubs

I was in Waterloo Ontario a while back and there was a few English pubs.
Would you find the same in lower mainland of B.C
I occasionally like the odd pint or two and the atmosphere. :beer: : :)

CDNReturner Sep 18th 2004 11:23 pm

Re: English Pubs

Originally Posted by alan dell

Haven't been in BC since 1978 but there were pubs then so I don't see why there wouldn't be now.

dingbat Sep 19th 2004 1:33 am

No - there is nothing that would match a pub back home - and believe me I have looked. There are good bars and bad ones - if they serve Guinness at the right temperature and don't give me 3 inches of froth, I go back. If they are also haunts of squealy girlies or druggies, I go elsewhere. :beer:

flashman Sep 19th 2004 12:53 pm

I think that the "English Pubs" in Canada generally follow the romantic decorative tradition but you seldom get the "Daily Regulars" like the "Rovers Return" for the atmosphere. Also there's no Cask Beer unless you're in a Brew Pub.

Glaswegian Sep 19th 2004 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by flashman
I think that the "English Pubs" in Canada generally follow the romantic decorative tradition but you seldom get the "Daily Regulars" like the "Rovers Return" for the atmosphere. Also there's no Cask Beer unless you're in a Brew Pub.

The pubs I've tried in Calgary are uniformly crap ... just dressed up theme bars.

CDNReturner Sep 19th 2004 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
The pubs I've tried in Calgary are uniformly crap ... just dressed up theme bars.

Yes, but most 'English pubs' have become that way, anyway. Though, I suspect this is more true of London and other major English cities.

frankieforehead Sep 19th 2004 8:43 pm

Well If you go to Medicine Hat in Alberta, there is one of the most famous pubs known to the british squaddie...this is commonly known as the "Bin"...between the months of April and October, a mass selection of the best british humour and the mix of Alberta cattle can be found frequenting this awful place...however if you just want a good beer, try O'Reilly's, or something spelt that way.

Corky Sep 19th 2004 11:38 pm

I think it is really hard to find the "real" english pub in Canada, most places that call themselves pubs are in actual fact a resteraunt. You enter and there is this fabulous bar and them many tables around where people are eating, not just drinking. They lack atmosphere because I don't think canadians are really into a pub scene. There is a great pub in Kentville called the Kings Arms, and they do alot to maintain the english feel but it is to much like a resteraunt to me. They have different things planned for different nights to attract patrons and it does work cause this place has been open for years. Now a tavern is totally different again!

Rhodes Sep 20th 2004 10:53 am

My limited experience of Canadian pubs mirrors others' views. That said, I went to an 'English pub' the evening before I got married and loved it. Not because it was really like an English pub., but because they sold Double Diamond and Watneys and other things that I thought had disappeared long before I was able to drink legally. :)

flashman Sep 20th 2004 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Corky
They lack atmosphere because I don't think canadians are really into a pub scene.

Canadians have better things to do than waffling under the influence.

Glaswegian Sep 20th 2004 12:33 pm

That's what hockey games are for ... sitting somewhere around me, stinking of cheap liquor, screaming intelligibly during most of the game, and hooping & howling insanely every time there's a fight ... that's just the women, the men are worse :D

That was the last live WHL game I went to see voluntarilly ... some "wrestling" type event was on in the arena next door ... I think some of the wrestling fans were so blitzed, stoned or otherwise having trouble coping with general day to day living that they wandered into the wrong arena ... we gave up and left early.

MikeUK Sep 20th 2004 4:49 pm

Waffling whilst drinking Tim Hortens......... :D

iaink Sep 20th 2004 5:01 pm

If only that was true. The question should really be under the influence of what if you catch my pungent drift!

Glaswegian Sep 20th 2004 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
The question should really be under the influence of what if you catch my pungent drift!

Are you inferring something BUD??