Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

English Nintendo Wii compatible?

English Nintendo Wii compatible?

Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: English Nintendo Wii compatible?

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
Where/how can you get this done - and how much is that likely to cost?

Also - do you copy the GeckoOS thingy onto a card and stick it in the UK Wii and let it read it itself or what?

I'm fairly computer savvy in a kind of a conventional way - but this stuff confuses me totally. I'm well p!$$4d off that Nintendo limits its markets in this way - the least they could do is offer something for folks travelling either way across the Pond.

(Bose GAVE me a new set of computer speakers when I moved here (about $300 worth) when I grumped about them not being dual voltage!)
I am not sure where you are living, but the link below is for Calgary. This service costs about £45 at my local shop so $110 is not too bad.

http://www.monstermodchip.com/V2.htm
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
it wont work on 110. but you just need a power converter for it.

Getting NTSC games working is pretty straight forward.
Look into Homebrew Channel and GeckoOS for the wii.

If you get stuck give me a pm.
Thanks for the info !
I've actually been googling the homebrew programme, it actually will enable me to use Canadian games on my european console, then?
I was worried that it might be a scam.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

I cant guarantee that using the GeckoOS through homebrew will work, but for everything I've tried it on its been fine.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

leecyndisanders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
All our stuff turns up tomorrow, including the WII and board from the UK. Sockdogg pm'ed me the software link i'll pm you the details, enjoy
Could you please PM me the link aswell, my goods arrive tomorrow too and would like to be able to use NTSC games.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant guarantee that using the GeckoOS through homebrew will work, but for everything I've tried it on its been fine.
So, correct me if I missunderstand, - you took a UK Wii to Canada and installed the homebrew program and it worked for you ?

I'm also thinking about buying one of these :
http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...atalog6_0.html
for my TV. Anybody familiar with them ?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

Yes thats correct, UK PAL Wii to Canada, just put a power converter to change 100V to 240V on the plug and away you go.

The only issue I had was the first TV I tried it on was an old TV which couldnt display the PAL signal correctly, the screen was rolling around all over the place, too ages to go into the setting blind and change it to 60 Hertz, even then it was in black and white!
On an LCD TV it is great though

Also you'll need to ditch the RGB/scart cable and get a set of component cables.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

we have an Xbox360 which is only a few months old and so this kind of enquiry was also on my mind.

we've not got too many games for it thus far and so the 'investment' is minimal.

i am considering taking it to Canada with us, but is it really worth the added hassle?

it seems that consol prices and games etc are so hyper inflated in the UK, that selling UK stuff second hand in the UK would in itself pay for brand new items over in Canada, thus negating any future such concerns...?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Yes thats correct, UK PAL Wii to Canada, just put a power converter to change 100V to 240V on the plug and away you go.

The only issue I had was the first TV I tried it on was an old TV which couldnt display the PAL signal correctly, the screen was rolling around all over the place, too ages to go into the setting blind and change it to 60 Hertz, even then it was in black and white!
On an LCD TV it is great though

Also you'll need to ditch the RGB/scart cable and get a set of component cables.
It WILL work on a canadian TV, BUT only if the TV you buy in Canada supports a PAL input, we bought a new Panasonic 42 Plasma top of the range, then found out it did not support pal on any of the inputs.
When shopping for a new TV make sure you check this out, if need be take your Wii with you to the shop,you already have all the right leads, my English PAL Wii works with the original transformer that came with it, you just need to chop of the wall plug, and replace with a 2 pin Canadian one. I would suggest asking the sales guy inthe TV shop if you can take a look at the manual for the TV which you are interested in, it will tell you on the specifacation page weather it will support PAL or not
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

For the Xbox360 you need to know that:

- Not all games will work in a US/Canada system, check here http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Region_Free_Xbox_360_Games

- You can keep your Gamertag but you cannot change your country in your profile. Meaning you'll have to keep getting Live subscriptions from the UK, unless you are willing to start fresh and create a new gamertag.

- You can back up your Gamertag along with all your save games and transfer them to a Canadian Xbox360 using 360 memory cards. However not all game saves will be compatible.

For the Wii, you can buy a 110-240V multi voltage adapter, they only cost about $10 delivered. Chipping is illegal and I do not support it. I work in the games industry and it really hurts when I see people pirating my games instead of buying them.

One way to get round the PAL/NTSC issue is to use a monitor and a VGA adapter instead of a TV.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
For the Xbox360 you need to know that:

- Not all games will work in a US/Canada system, check here http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Region_Free_Xbox_360_Games

- You can keep your Gamertag but you cannot change your country in your profile. Meaning you'll have to keep getting Live subscriptions from the UK, unless you are willing to start fresh and create a new gamertag.

- You can back up your Gamertag along with all your save games and transfer them to a Canadian Xbox360 using 360 memory cards. However not all game saves will be compatible.

For the Wii, you can buy a 110-240V multi voltage adapter, they only cost about $10 delivered. Chipping is illegal and I do not support it. I work in the games industry and it really hurts when I see people pirating my games instead of buying them.

One way to get round the PAL/NTSC issue is to use a monitor and a VGA adapter instead of a TV.
My kids used to play the Wii in the UK on a 42 plasmathey now have to play it on a 19 inch LCDHasten to say they rarely play it anymore, get a TV that supports PAL