Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

English Nintendo Wii compatible?

English Nintendo Wii compatible?

Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough
Default English Nintendo Wii compatible?

Is my Wii compatible in canada ? It is of course PAL and canadian tv's are NSTC. But it connects via a rgb cable or scart lead, and it can give an output of 50hz or 60 hz. Hopefull someone can give me some positive replys
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:34 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: English Nintendo Wii compatible?

Erm.............to be honest I'm not sure .

But we sold ours and brought a new one out here, also the english Wii won't play canadian wii games so we sold all our games as well .

Might be worth selling it as a bundle on Ebay and buying new when you get to Canada.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
Is my Wii compatible in canada ? It is of course PAL and canadian tv's are NSTC. But it connects via a rgb cable or scart lead, and it can give an output of 50hz or 60 hz. Hopefull someone can give me some positive replys

Check the label on the back.... does it say 220/240 or 100-240v ??

Then there's the matter of region zoning!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Check the label on the back.... does it say 220/240 or 100-240v ??

Then there's the matter of region zoning!
Power supply is fine 110-220v, its the picture, will it show on the tv, i know its region 2, so it will only play region 2 discs, its weather the tv will show the picture is what i am asking. Has any one from the uk taken one over, there must be some one on this forum that has
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
Power supply is fine 110-220v, its the picture, will it show on the tv, i know its region 2, so it will only play region 2 discs, its weather the tv will show the picture is what i am asking. Has any one from the uk taken one over, there must be some one on this forum that has
OK... will depend on the TV... Our Sony allows you to switch between all available input modes.... It will take a bit of patience, but it can be done!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

my PAL wii works fine, I had to ditch the composite/scart lead that goes to the TV and get a component cable for the LCD tv we bought, but the picture is great.

you'll have to decide yourself if its worth bringing it over or not, depends on how many games you have bought in the UK as you may not get a decent return on the investment.

As for NTSC games, these can be made to work on a UK wii without too much hassle.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - how do you convert the Wii NSTC games then?
Old Aug 21st 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

pm sent
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice

Any more info on this? We've got a UK Wii console and just set it up here in Canada. Able, of course, to play the UK games, but a Canadian game we bought (legit!) - the disc isn't recognised. Are these games coded by region, much like DVDs? Will a Canadian purchased Wii Fit board work with a UK console? All very confusing and potentially expensive

Any help much appreciated.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grumpyhaggis
Any more info on this? We've got a UK Wii console and just set it up here in Canada. Able, of course, to play the UK games, but a Canadian game we bought (legit!) - the disc isn't recognised. Are these games coded by region, much like DVDs? Will a Canadian purchased Wii Fit board work with a UK console? All very confusing and potentially expensive

Any help much appreciated.
All our stuff turns up tomorrow, including the WII and board from the UK. Sockdogg pm'ed me the software link i'll pm you the details, enjoy
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Surely if you buy them on the net then you can get all UK games and the UK Wii fit board as well? There fore there is no need to change any thing etc
PS dont get the Wii fit board - its the whole families high light to set it up and watch me try it!:curse: They even invited the neighbours round to laff at me doing the hola hoops last night!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
my PAL wii works fine, I had to ditch the composite/scart lead that goes to the TV and get a component cable for the LCD tv we bought, but the picture is great.

you'll have to decide yourself if its worth bringing it over or not, depends on how many games you have bought in the UK as you may not get a decent return on the investment.

As for NTSC games, these can be made to work on a UK wii without too much hassle.
I'm looking for info on how to make our Wii Pal work on 110 and accept NTSC games in Canada.
Could you tell me how to do it please !
Old Jan 11th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

it wont work on 110. but you just need a power converter for it.

Getting NTSC games working is pretty straight forward.
Look into Homebrew Channel and GeckoOS for the wii.

If you get stuck give me a pm.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Or you could also look in to getting a Wii Key mod chip (or alternative) fitted, and then you will be laughing!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wearsider
Or you could also look in to getting a Wii Key mod chip (or alternative) fitted, and then you will be laughing!
Where/how can you get this done - and how much is that likely to cost?

Also - do you copy the GeckoOS thingy onto a card and stick it in the UK Wii and let it read it itself or what?

I'm fairly computer savvy in a kind of a conventional way - but this stuff confuses me totally. I'm well p!$$4d off that Nintendo limits its markets in this way - the least they could do is offer something for folks travelling either way across the Pond.

(Bose GAVE me a new set of computer speakers when I moved here (about $300 worth) when I grumped about them not being dual voltage!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.