Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

'English' Canadians and football

'English' Canadians and football

Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:36 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light
Default 'English' Canadians and football

Those who have already made the move to Canada from England - are you still supporting England in the World Cup? Do you still feel part of it over there? I guess you are not watching in bars with a crowd due to time difference - is it weird?

I remember watching all the Euro 96 matches at 1am in all night bars in Australia, which was odd, but I still felt part of it because there were other England fans and it was still 'beer' time.

This may seem pointless but I think the things that I will miss most are these kind of events and being part of them, rather than day to day stuff. Plus we watch football live and on tv all the time, and it will be strange not to go to a match and have a pie and a pint at half time... Hope the cable coverage is decent at least...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:40 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'English' Canadians and football

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Those who have already made the move to Canada from England - are you still supporting England in the World Cup? Do you still feel part of it over there? I guess you are not watching in bars with a crowd due to time difference - is it weird?

I remember watching all the Euro 96 matches at 1am in all night bars in Australia, which was odd, but I still felt part of it because there were other England fans and it was still 'beer' time.

This may seem pointless but I think the things that I will miss most are these kind of events and being part of them, rather than day to day stuff. Plus we watch football live and on tv all the time, and it will be strange not to go to a match and have a pie and a pint at half time... Hope the cable coverage is decent at least...

You can still go to the match and have a pie
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Plus we watch football live and on tv all the time, .
So do we, in fact I watch more here than I did in the UK as Saturday morning is a good free time to sit and watch the Prem before the days events intervene.

It is weird watching the WC without the big partisan crowd though, thats for sure. A few canadians have enquired of me when Canada will be playing
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's better. Whichever team is doing well results in a party. There was even a brawl here between fans of Portugal and Angola.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:45 pm

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
You can still go to the match and have a pie
eh? I've been to hockey (great) but there were no pies, plus I do need my football - is there some cool underground football & pie scene I missed whilst in Canada?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
It is weird watching the WC without the big partisan crowd though, thats for sure. A few canadians have enquired of me when Canada will be playing
LOL, bless em
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:47 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

eh? I've been to hockey (great) but there were no pies, plus I do need my football - is there some cool underground football & pie scene I missed whilst in Canada?
YES obviously
lol
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

<wanders off to get coffee, past shop with huge Korean flag to place with large Italian flag>

Football is the big game in this town.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
<wanders off to get coffee, past shop with huge Korean flag to place with large Italian flag>

Football is the big game in this town.
Never thought of that! We have small Italian and Dutch rogue supporter units at work, but really everyone I know is supporting Ingerlund.

Guess your mix would be quite fun
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:52 pm

YES obviously
lol
hmm, are you having me on?
if so tempting with fake pie is bad enough, but fake pie and fake football is just mean...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:55 pm
Banned

hmm, are you having me on?
if so tempting with fake pie is bad enough, but fake pie and fake football is just mean...
Footbal has a good following here.
You can Always take your own pies.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:58 pm

Footbal has a good following here.
You can Always take your own pies.
ok then I'll let you off

What's the Alberta/Canadian league called? Is there a website?
Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Never thought of that! We have small Italian and Dutch rogue supporter units at work, but really everyone I know is supporting Ingerlund.

Guess your mix would be quite fun
While fetching the coffee, cars passed with the following flags :

1 German
1 Italian
3 English (two on the same car)
1 with a mythical lion type animal, I think it's Korea but not the official flag.

In the country it's all Mexico and Ecuador, the source countries for the undocumented farm workers.

Brazilians are the best bar fans, they bring drums and bang and shout all through their games.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:06 pm
Banned

ok then I'll let you off

Theres a calgary league
Old Jun 14th 2006, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road

ok then I'll let you off

www.cusa.ab.ca

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.